• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help Please

Scotteye

confused.gif I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 & it left me stranded on the ice again (4-miles out). At any rate, it was running fine and then I went to re-start only a few minutes later, and all I would get was a clicking noise by the battery. I had the Celenoid replaced (by a friend), and it still just makes the clicking noise. I went to Battery-Plus today and had the Battery checked, and they said it was still a great battery (1.5 years old). I would really appreciate any help. I would take it in somewhere, but everyone is so backed-up due to the snow & plus, since I have a machine that breaks down a lot, I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two. Again, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-Scott

It really does sound like a bad battery or loose connection somewhere.

BTW, you do know what polaris's moto is right?

Polaris, the way out.

Walk, the way home. =P

Sorry, had to throw that in and hopefully it'll at least make you chuckle. smile.gif

The clicking can only be a few things.

Weak battery

Loose connection, or high resistance in the wires

High current draw, bad starter, engine turns over hard/locked up

Bad solenoid

Thats it, sounds like you eliminated the battery, the solenoid, try jumping the big terminals on the relay, see if it turns the starter over, if not, you may have a bad starter, or a frozen starter.

Don't rule out the battery yet. I have a machine acting similar. I have the battery at BP now, that they 1st said should still be good, since it read 12.2 volts (just seemed low on charge). One cell keeps freezing, which means low on charge, they say. How can it be low on charge and still read 12.2 volts, I ask.

Does your machine jump start okay?

Good point, Dave. I read through these and wondered the same thing -- if you can jump it and it starts fine)...I'd start second guessing the battery. What kind/brand of battery is it? Is it a drycell? With some of the cheaper batteries (like my last one purchased at Wallyworld mad.gif), a 1.5 year "shelf life" is not uncommon.

Yup, just called BP, my one battery's bad. Can bring it inside, charge it up, starts the ATV just fine. Next day, dead. I'd try jump starting it when it's dead and see.

Actually, I've had good luck with a WallyWorld battery for a 500 Sportsman. The 700's battery is larger, however, and WW doesn't carry them.

Glad to hear "somebody" has had good luck with those batteries...not me. I guess I did hear that frequent use helped those batteries last longer.

I bought an Odyssey...wow..what a difference (although 2 weeks ago at LOW when it was -24, it needed a jump after a 3 hour ride on the trailer grin.gif)