• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mille lacs vs. url for crappies

slick2526

Don't mean to be glib, but isn't this kind of a no brainer? URL for crappies, without question.

Not sure if you know, but Mille Lacs has a relatively small crappie population and, when compared to URL, Mille Lacs doesn't even appear on the map for crappie fishing.

I am headed up to URL tomorrow for a weekend of fishing. Last year we had limited out with 5 guys, with a 12" fish being a small one. It is a blast when they turn on. While fishing during the day, I alone caught and released 30 walleye that ran from 16" to 22" in a 4 hour span. Never thought I would ever say,"Another #@%^$ walleye" as much as I did that day. What fun!

Huskminn, Just stating the question. Not an opinion as you can tell. Just seeing what peoples opinions are on the topic.

I would also choose URL, the crappie population is good, and also the walleyes are coming back in good sizes, and numbers. I think it is a great fisherie. But also so is Mille Lacs.

Every spring and fall provides a small window of opportunity to catch the crappies on Mille Lacs. I have done very well up on the pond when you get the timing just right.
On the other hand, doesn’t really matter when you fish Red. As long as you can safely travel on ice or battle the waves in a boat, a person can always find a few fish there.
<;))))><

protrapper, is Big Cutfoot Sioux still a good Crappie Lake? It is much closer to where I am than URL, and I am always looking for Lakes that produce Crappie, Walleye and Perch.. It doesn't have to be the fantasy fishing like URL, but I would like to be fishing a lake with a high probability of catching something.

i would say right now cut foot and bowstring are in about the same catagory. chances for a real good time are pretty high. the last 4 years on red have been a real favor to our local lakes smile.gifjust my 2c

------------------
keep a firm grip on your jigglestick!......jigglestick

To those of you who think that Mille Lacs doesn't have a good crappie population, you're missing the boat wink.gif, it's an untapped resource, just like the Smallmouth population used to be at Mille Lacs. Great crappies in Mille Lacs and there's a small group of guys who know it and take advantage of it in the spring.
As far as URL goes, enjoy it while it lasts, it's gonna end soon. The explosion is a result of an exceptional year-class that has yet to repeat itself there and that particular year class is getting decimated by anglers...(by the way, I'm going in March!)

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-30-2003).]