• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 2003 regulations

ghotierman

Just took a glance at the new fishing regulations for 2003. The crappie and sunfish limits will go into effect....but perhaps the biggest change is the elimination of the senior citizen license.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about that...or any other news in the new regs.

(i'll hang up and listen!)

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOY AM I GOING TO TAKE HEAT NOW!!!

I like the changes. Who fishes the most, I would have to say the folks that are retired they can go everyday so why should they get a cheaper pass. Anybody who complains about the price of a licence in this state dont reliaze how much they have offered to them.

I also like the panfish changes. Not always but there are many times they are to easy to catch and people take there limit everyday for weeks. I hope they reliaze they also need enforcement or none of the regs mean anything.

GOOD LUCK THE FISH ARE BITING

I don't neccesarily have a problem with the change in the SR. Discount program either. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying $30 or $40 dollars for a season license if I knew it went back directly to the DNR but since it goes into a general fund and there is a chance it will be used for a Stadium or some other dump, I'll just stay content with the way things are and take things as they come.

I dont like the panfish limits, many of the lakes I fish have several year classes of stunted sunnies because there are just too many fish. This will not be good for them!!

The panfish limits are a good thing, especially for the big groups that haul in 60 or more every time they go out. Lots of people do not pay any attention to possesion limits and load up freezers. My dad is 74, an avid fisherman, and we debate catch and release all the time. He always takes home as much as he can. He can't understand why I fish and let them go.

I think good.. butIf your the only one who fishes (like me...) in the Family it's much harder to get your meal off of one species of fish. Mixing the 10 crappies with a few small bass or walleye solves that problem: it's just a matter of having a mixed keep than one species; which can be difficult at times yes... But if yiou get really bumed out you can just get an out of state WI lisc. or fish the St. Croix where the limit remains 20 combined....

The entire change is a good thing. Especially the possession limits. I don't fish our lake in the winter anymore because too many large crappies have been taken out of it. One year we kept a total of 30 crappies over 10 in. and released over 150. The lake was flooded w/ houses the next year I went out could barely find a nice sized crappie. Now I go else where in the winter.

What good are limits with the loss of CO Authority?

What good are limits on lakes that are imbalanced and need reduction in drastic numbers to save a particular species from total disaster?

Take Oahe for example, too many small Walleyes and they all suffer. The SD DNR should be applauded for their proactive management practices--we've been let down horribly in MN lately by an absent DNR.

It's come to a point where each lake needs species-specific management. Waubay is another example in NE SD, the Walleyes get a lot of attention but the DNR protects the resource, 4-fish limit and a slot. The best thing is that they invoke slot limits in SD before the lake gets into trouble. It's full of nice 15-16 inch 'Eyes and they will be around long enough to grow into bigger fish because of proper management. When the Perch "Boom" hit out there 3 years ago the limits were immediatley reduced to preserve the fishing for all to enjoy for years to come, not until the resource was all gone.

The MN DNR should use the SD model of fish management (including stocking) from here on out. They really know their stuff and are not afraid to tell the whiners to MYOB.

Let's hope that our new DNR will not be swayed by the rantings of those who would stop all fishing (and Hunting) if they had their way and begin practicing game management that is good for the species and the sportsman.

------------------
Chells

Re: Seniors
Remember this people seniors have been paying for licenses for a long long time by the time they reach 65 yrs old. In terms of money from licenses going to benefit wildlife they have paid a lot more than you and I. Remember too that in most cases these are the same people that first took us fishing and taught us the basics of fishing, hunting, and good sportsmanship.
Folks they have put in their dues,and then just at the time when they are to get a much deserved break on license fees the state of Mn. decides to take it all away. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel? Give them a break! Personally this won't happen to me, because I'm buying my lifetime licsense in april, when I turn 51.
OR WILL IT?
Good Luck, Lucky

I think all senior citizens should fish for free,get their pills for free, have people shovel their snow,get free hospitalization. Do we forget these hard working people PAID their way to old age, paying thousands in taxes, caring for their kids,puting us thru school, etc, etc. Things should be so easy and pain free for these people-were lucky to be around these true warriors!! God love em all!

Hogwash to this give it away attitude. I agree that our old folks deserve a break. That doesn't necesarily mean they deserve the break at the till. Folks tend to equate everything of value to an amount of the almighty dollar. That's not all that's important to people. If you want to give your elders something valuable give them your time, lend them your ear, listen to their valuable lessons and take them fishing in your boat. That doesn't mean they need to fish without paying for a license. Some can afford it - if you know those that can't then buy a license for them. Listen folks - we're in a budget crunch here and can't be giving everything away in the form of liberal programs. Quit pointing the finger at the gov't and get off your duffs and support your elders with your own heart and hands.
BTW - hurrah to the new limits! Also be careful what you wish for. Our DNR is moving toward micro-management of our lakes and fisheries. It may be what's right but lets hope we don't regret it later when it's here. If more folks used common sense in the first place and practiced catch and release we wouldn't need the laws to keep us in check. Quit whining about the gov't and take a look in the mirror!

If you aren't disturbed by the DNR ripping of the Senior Citizens, read a book. "The Greatest Generation". We owe everything we have today to the people that the DNR just disgraced.

What do we owe the generation before us?
I think we have done our share as well. How many older folks you know of that dont take everything they catch and then relie on the DNR to restock everything. I am tired of hearing how old people are so poor, and I do feel bad for the ones who are but I know alot of older folks that have more money then I will ever see and those who dont should have thought of that when they were young. I work very hard and expect nothing free or discounted and have two kids to feed and cloth. And save for retirement because our SS wont be there who is getting that?

Sorry I fell off my soapbox now so no more

wcmnwalleye, "the greatest generation" was a book about the men and women that grew up and served duriing WWII. I'm sure we'll all agree that we all owe the people who fought -and died - in the European and Pacific theaters a great deal. Same goes for all veterans, in my opinion.

Let's be realistic - many older people are on fixed incomes. Maybe they should have saved better, maybe they weren't smart with their money, whatever. I say let's give them all the benfit of the doubt and cut 'em some slack. We're all going to be there someday smile.gif Not every "senior citizen" has a helpful person to take them fishing or buy their license. The money the DNR will save by taking this step is not worth the public relations hit.

I do wholeheartedly support the reduction in panfish limits.

TO ALL OF YOU THAT THINK THE SENIOR CITIZENS SHOULD PAY THE PRICE...I THINK WE DID..
SOMEDAY YOU ALL WILL REACH OUR AGE, HOPE YA STILL HAVE THE BUCKS TO GO FISHING..
GLAD TO SEE THAT CHANGING THE LAW FOR SENIORS MADE YOUR DAY....

DON
3-17-34

The price of a license is small compared to the total amount of money spent fishing in a season. I don't think there is anything wrong with making everyone pay the same for a license. Good for the new limits.

Just like wcmnwalleye...I expect to take the heat but I think giving anyone a break on license costs (senior or not) is unfair.

If you wanna play, then pay! I see lots of seniors heading south for the winter..they got more money than I will ever have. Yes some have it...some don't.

I used to live in northern Minnesota but do to employment change moved to Wisconsin. I still go up fishing every year....pay the fee for the season license and fish one week. I rarely bring home fish. Just go because the lakes are not as crowded, fishing is better. Hardly ever bring fish home. When you think about license cost for a whole year...it is one heck of a bargain. my 2 cents

I like the new limits.I consider fishing a sport.I am not that set on taking some fish home I am happy to just catch them.However I do believe that the new limits may harm some lakes populations but over all it a good thing.If we want to have "micro management then we must not complain so much when we are asked to open our wallets.

As for the seniors now having to pay for their license like every one else.I can not see a good reason why they shouldn't.I am paying for mine.

Okay, Curt, disgraced is a bit strong, I'll give you that. How about forgotten?, or unappreciative?

I guess I don't know any senior citizens that travel the country, move south,... I'm sure there's a lot that do. The one's I know that still fish are retired workers/farmers, still clinging on to that little piece of whatever they got to cling on to. Doing more with less.

All I know is without people like my grandpa and uncle's and other people's grandpa's and uncle's, we'd all be speaking German, Japanese, or Russian.

That generation deserves more than what it gets. If I'm wrong about this, than I don't want to be right.

There is nothing better than a UNITEDSTATES VETERAN
I respect everyone who fights for our country, But lets not forget about the Vietnam vets or the Gulf vets(witch I served proudly in for 9 months)and came close to biting it a few times even though most people dont think it was a real war.

To wcmwalleye and other senior bashers-The generation BEFORE us also worked as hard as you, and other "pre-retirement" workers. And what is wrong with having enough money to go South or anywhere to enjoy their remaing few years. The majority of people that catch over limits and are slobs around waters and lakes are certainly not seniors. The elderly are just trying to relax in their twilight years. Yeah , theres many rich retirees and poor ones. But they paid heavily for years, like we are now. We cater and pamper babies when they come into this world, and we should also do the same with our parents just before they leave us. What a SMALL price to pay!

I have to agree with ( lowe & don317) on this one! have you ever went out to a lake in "outstate minnesota" in the morning and seen those 6 "ol" guy's sitting on the fishing peer with there bobber's out and just chatting about the old day's? it's great to see those guy's out there and to just stop by and say "hi" before WE unload our boats. I hardly think thses "ol" gent's are catching and taking home there limit's of fish everytime (if at all) they are out there. I would really like to see the number's on (free) senior license that where issued in the last few year's. I guess this kinda hit's home with me as I sure know my grandparent's where on a fixed income and they sure love to go out fishing for that pail full of bullhead's and a few pearch. ricbak

Our Seniors deserve all the respect we can give in whatever form we can give it! I agree that the Seniors should get a break on their licenses. They usually are on a fixed income and usually fish less.
I know we are in a budget crunch but to hit those who paid their hard earned $ all these years is just wrong!
Agree or not thats ok. This is just my 1/2 cent.