• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fan Seems to Run way to Ofter?

wallter

2003 Kawasaki Prairie 650. Despite the cold weather, the fan kicks on all the time. Which of course worries me as I don't want it to get to hot. Any thoughts on what could be the problem. I've noticed this over the past year but have been using machine quite a bit plowing lately so I'm noticing it more. Thanks.

The fan working is a good thing, there is no problem! You don't want the engine to get too hot. Usually when I plow the fan runs a long time.

Just last night I had to do a fair share of plowing and I didn't realize my fan (oil cooler) wasn't working. My hi oil temp sensor on my machine is faulty (I need to fix..I know), and it illuminates all the time even when the engine is ice cold, so I ignore it. Then, I realized the engine was in fact too hot. Checked the fuse and it was a loose connection. The fan started working. Make sure the cooling fan works when stressing these machines in the snow!

Because you are generally moving slowly and/or backing frequently while plowing, there is limited air flow through the radiator. This will usually cause the fan to come on more often. Just to be sure, take a look at the radiator and make sure it is clean and not plugged with dirt or mud.

i put a trail tech VAPOR computer on my quad. Shows MPH, RPMS and engine temp. There are programmable warning lights AMBER and then RED for really hot. I have my amber at 215 and my red at 230 (shut it down). My fan kicks in at 200.

Its a pretty neat little gadget and its nice to have another option and know exactly how warm the quad is running.

My dummy lights were worthless and I never really trusted them from the start.

The vapor was also really handy to see what RPMS my clutch was engaging when I was modding primary and secondary settings but thats a whole nother can of worms.

The V-twins run a little warmer because of the (Contact Us Please) in the timing. This is to govern the power a little from the powerful motor. A Dynatek cdi box helps, along with some water wetter in the radiator. Often times the radiator gets clogged with mud too. Cleaning it out will help. If all that doesn't help, it is either normal or you have a jetting issue.

Wallter,

I've got the same rig as you, mine runs all the time too, always has, nothing to worry about like the others have said, just make sure your radiator is clean and you should be fine.

If you google up nyroc on the web, he's got some good tech tips for kawis' ( and others ) you have to sign up for a free account but I use it every now and then and he does have some tips on the cooling system on these units.

Mike

MN Mike,

Thanks for all the good info.

Changing gears, grin.gif I've got another problem and thought another Prairie owner might be able to help. Periodically for several different reasons, my machine will basically switch into a mode (usually happens when the kids are playing with the key and leave it on which drains the battery) that basically shows a belt light and won't allow the machine to travel more than 8 miles per hour. It acts like there's a governor on it or something. I've been told that this situation can be corrected somehow confused.gif by reseting the machine? Your thoughts please.

Yeah, mine seems to do that atleast once a year, there are 2 plugs right above the belt cover ( if I remember right ) one is grey and one is black, you unplug them and cross them, plug grey to black and black to grey, turn the key on and it will reset after 10 seconds or something like that, turn the key off, plug them back the way they were and your off and runnin' again. Nyrocs site covers this too and I believe there are pics.

The new CDI boxes, like the others said, will eliminate this limp home mode.

It doesn't take long to reset it once you know which plug to cross.

Mike

Make sure your radiator isn't plugged with mud. Its a 2003 so its getting up there, where the radiator will get plugged with stuff. Even if you don't ride alot of mud. Take a hose and rise it out. I usually do it once a year with our Sportsmans. It couldn't hurt. Also check the temostat to make sure its open and check the coolent level.