• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tresspassers Keep Out

luckey

Just because you can, doesn't make it right. Being we had fresh snow Tuesday, I decided to go hunting on my property on Wednesday afternoon. I was thinking it would be great to sneak around in the fresh snow to see where the deer were bedding. Imagine my dissapointment to see fresh snowmobile tracks all through my property. The tresspassers traveled most of my trails and went past most of my stands. Being it had just quit snowing on Tuesday night, this was done sometime Wednesday morning. This is not their playground! If you don't own the land or have permission to be on it keep out.

Most snowmobilers would never disrupt your hunt, or tresspass on purpose. If you're located next to a trail or if you don't have any signs around your property, I would suggest a simple sign that says no snowmobiling and also a sign that says no hunting/tresspassing. The goomers haven't made it out in my area so it's difficult to know exactly where it's ok to be. Also, several landowners don't maintain signs around the trails or they are covered under drifts, so it can be difficult for the snowmobiler. I was out recently and got stuck twice in the ditches, so I stayed fairly close to home. You may find the culprit to be one of your neighbors who wanted to check out the local deer population. On a side note, once you have tracks that go through your property other snowmobilers may also think it's ok to drive it also, and follow the trail.

Quote:

Just because you can, doesn't make it right. Being we had fresh snow Tuesday, I decided to go hunting on my property on Wednesday afternoon. I was thinking it would be great to sneak around in the fresh snow to see where the deer were bedding. Imagine my dissapointment to see fresh snowmobile tracks all through my property. The tresspassers traveled most of my trails and went past most of my stands. Being it had just quit snowing on Tuesday night, this was done sometime Wednesday morning. This is not their playground! If you don't own the land or have permission to be on it keep out.

Why post this here? Its odvious you have issues with people tresspassing but COME ON GIVE ME A BREAK posting it on the snowmobile forum... HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WASN'T HUNTERS POACHING????? Did you post over there too.

You dont see people posting stuff like this on the hunting forums and there are alot more hunters on land illegally.

CAN WE GET THIS THREAD REMOVED> PLEASE

luckey, who knows. Could've been the a kid out for a joy ride that didn't know you'd be upset for doing that. Probably didn't know you were waiting to hunt an undisturbed area, not that sled is going through your area a day or two before you hunt would matter.

If you want to keep the land to yourself you need to post it. At least then your intension's are known.

The person who road the snowmobile through my property went around two locked gates with posted signs. I believe it was not a kid because I saw where he stopped for a smoke. It was not a day or two before but rather just hours before I got there. Yes, I know most snowmobilers do not tresspass but there always seems to be the few that really get landowners upset at the rest. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the snowmobile thread was a logical place for this information and request.

As a landowner with hunting ground that we allow the trail to go through (for no compensation), and as a snowmobiler, I think this thread is totally appropriate.

It never hurts to remind people that private property is not their's to do whatever on. Its easy to tell a snowmobile track so lets not try to say it wasn't a snowmobiler either. Respect private property! Even as a snowmobiler myself just a couple years ago I was about one more incident of a sled off the trail away from that thing never touching our ground again.

Well it looks like I'm going to be the "hard nose" in this thread...

When I bought my land back in 1999, I had close to a mile of trail through the property. Having the groomer come through was also no problem because usually the muzzle loader season was over by that time.

Then the damage started... I won't go into detail, but were talking thousands of dollars, from sleds AND the groomer, in the very few years I allowed the trails. I have since closed my property to sled travel and have it posted quite well. I still have an occasional wayward ditch banger crossing a field, which really doesn't bother me all that much. But if they take a romp through the woods, that's when I get a bit miffed.

I used to trail ride and race sleds, so I can see this issue from both sides of the fence. I'm afraid this is a perfect case of a few bad apples spoiling it for the whole bunch. I was sorry to have to go to such extremes, but honestly, I just can't afford to pay for their mistakes any longer...

My advice... Tend to your signs and add more HIGHLY visable warnings. With tracks already on your property, you're in for a tougher road. As it was stated above... More WILL follow...

Good luck to ya!!! wink.gif

I had (have) the same issue. This year is the last winter for the trail through my land. After complaing several times and then stating I was closing the trail...larger gates and posts all along the trail were put up. But, it is too late...I made up my mind. I told them "one more year" for I want the trail association to have time to re-route the trail.

My land is heavily posted. Doesn't matter. The trail is also well marked. I finally got tired of it. Sad to see a few (or many) bad apples spoil it for all.

Very appropriate message and forum. If people in Douglas County would have read a message like this and heading the warning years ago...my land may have remained a trail after 2007/2008.

It doesn't matter if it was hunters, bird watchers, or neighbors. What matters is that they were on snowmobiles, so this is the right forum.

Quote:

It doesn't matter if it was hunters, bird watchers, or neighbors. What matters is that they were on snowmobiles, so this is the right forum.

It does matter..... Thats like saying guns kill people. They don't its the people using the guns. Without the people the guns would be useless. When someone is murdered nobody posts in the hunting forum warning gun owners. And I am sorry that some PEOPLE on sleds give all of snowmobilers a bad name by tresspassing. What I am trying to say is the original post is about a tresspassing issue and not about snowmobiles, the guy would have been ticked off if somebody went cross country skiing through his hunting land.