• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It is going to be all about you GUYS!!

My wife and I are going to buy a resort and would like some in put on what you guys would like the good fishermen of FM
And I will definately be a sponser to this site.

Some of my ideas
Spring walleye trips includes cabin, guide,fish cleaning,lunches.
Summer would cater to families
Fall walleye trips,grouse hunting,duck hunting,deer hunting specials
Sportsman special four days three nights you choose the artinerary a guide for anything you want to do IE fish for two days hunt for two, or ducks one grouse one fish two, fish all four, I think you get the picture Based on two people cabin,guide, and daytime lunch included $1000, 50% refund if weather conditions prohibit adventures.
Ice fishing specials week days or weekends
what would best suit you on the ice fully catered or let you go on your own.

Let me know what you guys want tell me now and I can provide in the future so you wont be dissappointed.

wcmn-
You wouldn't happen to be a guy I know who raises/sells Labs near Appleton?

P.S. If you are depending on snowmobiles for business in the winter, be careful! My poor uncle who owns a resort is about to lose everything from the past mild winters. He depends of sledders for income.
You're on the right track for hunting/fishing mixed in! I've always dreamed of operating a resort.

Surface Tension, Pretty sure his post implied that the $1000 was based on two guys. That would be $500 a pop. If that is correct, that isn't bad at all for lodging, guides and so forth. If that is per guy, I agree, it's pretty steep.

Not the one raising pups

Yes that was based on two people 500 apiece and I like your opinions would rather find out now than when I have big mortgage.
Keep ideas coming

Thanks

Always ask yourself, "Would I personally pay for the service that I am offering and would I be willing to pay the price I am asking."

Also when you begin, somethings to consider are what other options do people have in the price range I charging. Not just in the resort business, but across the entire specturm of opportunities. You need to make me wanna come there for a weekend instead of spending my money else where, whether it is at a mall, sporting goods store, or at where ever else.

Good luck, keep us informed.

I am really interested in becoming involved in the resort business or campground. There becomes a time when you ask yourself are you really HAPPY doing what you do for the rest of your life.

wcmnwalleye, there's another attraction in the Park Rapids area that you may want to look at including in your marketing material. There are some real nice golf courses located within a reasonable drive. The wife and I spend a week on a small lake just outside of Nevis, fish early morning, golf, fish into the night. Maybe you could work out some golf/fishing vacation packages with the local courses.

Potato would make a nice lake for this sort of thing. You're talking about providing a lot of services that will take resources (i.e. land), other than public land, do you have a line on this? Something to think about.

I'd have lots of suggestions, but I'd need more details from your end first. However, it sounds like you're not quite far enough along to provide a lot of details yet. Keep us updated and we'll try keep the info. coming.
Scoot

Maybe locate in an area that can attract the non-fishing wives. The guys go fishing and the wives go shop. Family (kid) activities are high on my priority list also (ie; playgrounds, nice beach, water slide)

You're spring and fall business is going to be mostly fishermen and hunters so you're on the right track there. However providing 4 day guided packages could be a logistic nightmare. You're going to have to make sure there are guides available to take care of your guests. Most guides have there own clients that they have to take care of first. I don't think there are a lot of duck hunting guides in either of those areas. There may be some grouse guides somewhere but I don't know of any. It would have to be someone with a good dog or two.

Some of the good guides in the area north of Brainerd charge over $300 per day. So even if you found someone for say $200 you would still have $800 in a 4day package just for guides alone. Then your going to provide lunches, fish cleaning and lodging also, which isn't going to leave you with much for all your hard work.

Maybe you're planning on doing some of the guiding yourself but you can only take care of one party at a time plus you have a resort to take care of. A lot of people buy a resort thinking they're going to do a lot of fishing but usually they're too busy to fish as much as they would like.

I'm not trying to discourage you but I think you have to look at all the angles and do the math. Most of the die hard fishermen just want you to point them in the right direction and give them a few pointers. They may hire a guide for a day or a half day but then prefer to do it on their own. You could get to know a few of the guides in the area that you could refer your guests to. Then you wouldn't have to worry about giving 50% discounts to guests if the weather is too bad for them to go fishing/hunting. Their idea of bad weather may be different than yours.

Good luck with your new venture.

[This message has been edited by Ybone (edited 01-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ybone (edited 01-16-2003).]

The area you are buying a resort is a great family area. I would make sure you have activities for kids. The lake you are buying a resort on has pretty good fishing but there are a lot of great lakes near you. I would promote the fact that there are so many good lakes. Offer guide trips on other lakes as well as yours. To many good lakes in that area not to take advantage of them all. Most importantly advertise on this site! Scott Steil

Not 100% sure of the lake yet working on Potato by parkrapids and one in the hackensack area have a line on few more in those areas want to get a little input before we take the plunge.

Most definatly we will post here if the fish are biting or not. I am sure you will come if there biting need some package ideas and maybe some prices you have seen or are willing to pay if the fish are biting. The one is on a snowmobile trail would anybody make base camp here if we kept the prices in range with the hotels have heated storage for the mobiles at night.

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like if we can keep the wife and kids happy while hubby is out fishing we will do okay. Like the golf pack idea. And there is gas on the water how big of draw is that?
Any thoughts on the winter fishing is there much demand for that other than Mille Lacs. It is a wonderful walleye lake.

I agree with Dave- if you want to get people and bodies in, you've got to market to whole families. Also, I like the golf idea. Keep in mind that if you want people with fat wallets to come to your place, you'll need a nice golf course or two nearby. Rich mucky-mucks don't bother going to the little
"pitch n put" 9-holer down the road. The D.L. area and east has a lot of nice courses to offer- all are within a decent distance from Potato.
For ice fishing- keep in mind the other stuff people are suggesting besides fishing. Obviously, no golf or waterfowling during the winter, but things like cross-country skiing and especially snowmobiling might provide for a draw in the winter. I think places have a difficult time getting people in during the winter for ice fishing alone.
Good luck,
Scoot

The Park Rapids area is a great area for winter fishing. Yes, there are a lot of people that winter fish but I would suggest if you are going to offer guiding it be on other lakes also. Scott Steil

Don't be to concerned about which lake your on. Even the best lakes don't produce fish or lots of them all the time. Be more concerned about your guess having a good time while staying at your resort. If people have a good time at the resort they are more likly to return.
Just stick to what you can control and you should be able to make a go of it.

Good Luck.