• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Photo Sharing... Panfish on Ice!!!

Corey Bechtold

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's mine...

<><

Not very big, hopefully they'll get bigger!

Hey Cory, I look forward to getting to know you and doing some fishing with you on our trip to Grand Rapids this January. Actually I'll be heading up to the lake we'll be staying at next tuesday for a little sight fishing. I'll post some photos when I get back!

Wow winter is early this year! I been spoiled by all these warm winters. Oh well time to kick off the ice season! Me and Juggs found 6 inches of good clear ice on a small metro lake. drilled a few holes and jiged up a few panfish on plastics. Nothing huge but some action is better than none!

Juggs drills me some holes

schmucko.jpg

First fish of the winter, nowhere to go but up!;-)

1stfish.jpg

bluegill

gilltime.jpg

Jacks trap

trap.jpg

There goes the sun! I thinks its gonna be a long cold winter!

sunset-9.jpg

nite bite speck

4eatin.jpg

enough for a small fish dinner... deleted! ooops almost forgot about the no dead fish pics rule! wink.gifcrazy.gif

Took a little drive up to Grand Rapids tuesday for my first ice outing of the 2007-2008 season. My plan was to fish tuesday and wednesday for big bluegills. After a four hour drive I arrive at a lake I had good luck on last year. It didn't look like there had been anyone at all on that lake yet. It was just starting to snow.

Here is my Fishtrap all ready to go....

IMG_1625.jpg

So I headed out to the spot which was probably 150 yards from the landing area. With the snow and slush underneath, and checking the ice with a spudbar as I went along, plus the fact there were no established trails, the going was SLOW! Took me a half hour to get out there. Drilled some holes with a hand auger, and started fishing. Using a bigger Ratso, I had a couple subtle bites right away, but no takers, fish seemed neutral to negative and finicky, so I downsized to the small ratso.

After fishing for about an hour I iced my first fish of the 2007-2008 season. It was a pretty small gill...

IMG_1626.jpg

So I started to catch a few, one here one there, not real plentiful, big, or agressive.

Here's another one...

IMG_1628.jpg

So being pretty disappointed by the size and numbers of fish I was catching at that spot, I decided to give my heart another workout and try a breakline off a nearby point and see if there were any fish relating to that. nothing doing there except a tiny perch. By this time it's 2 in the afternoon, and I am exhausted! So I decided to make my way back over to the spot where I started out and camp by the second hole I drilled, which seemed to be the most active. More cardiovascular workout!!!

It payed off! I never moved from that hole until five o'clock. The fish were much bigger, and by now, more aggressive, catching one after another at times...

Heres a nice gill...

IMG_1630.jpg

Here's a 9.75" "thumper" with a gill defect...

IMG_1633.jpg

And a crappie...

IMG_1634.jpg

And my last fish of the day was this beauty at exactly 10"! Sorry about the poor quality pic...

IMG_1644.jpg

In hindsight, I should have left the Fishtrap behind and treked out there with the bare minimum. So anyway, I packed up my stuff and headed in. I wanted to fish another day, but my trek back to the car was a living Hell mad.gifconfused.giffrown.gifcrazy.gif!!! It had been snowing all day long, ice was forming on the bottom of my portable, it was getting darker, and at times I could only take five steps then rest! What would normally be a ten minute walk took an hour! I was so exhausted I didn't have it in me to fish another day frown.gif So I headed back to the cities.

The snow is the reason I haven't gone out this year....at the end of the year last year we recieved that 2ft of snow start of march....went out the next day just 100-200 yds from the access and I thought I was going to die pulling my fish house!!!

The Crappie on the top was caught on an Optic jig with the Custom Jigs and Spins Ratso tail. I also tipped the jig with a Powerbait Spike. The Sunfish picture is on a Fiskas jig tipped with a Gulp! Waxie.

I'll try and get the detailed report up tonight.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Me and Juggs where looking for some crappies in the backwaters , they were tough to get but the bluegills came out to play. we got a few respectable gills and lots of smaller ones. We got em on plastics in about 8 ft around sunken brush.

Nice sunfish

slabgill.jpg

icey bull gill

goodun.jpg

plastic eatin sunfish

plasticgill.jpg

spinnigill-1.jpg

keeper-1.jpg

Cold but fun!

coldbutfun.jpg

bullgill.jpg

icesunfish.jpg

fatsunnie.jpg

Made it out again today. It started out as a mostly catch and release day but the last two hours changed that plan. I caught over 60 gills, bass, perch, and crappies on a nickel Wolfram and a single white finesse tail without having to retie once.

My first ever LA Nugie Gill

071215123748.jpg

Future Bull

071215060656.jpg

The last two hours

071215064322.jpg

We went out early saturday looking for some crappies, none in their usual spots, did a lot of moving around, finally went where others were fishin, started getting gills pretty good, lots of small ones with some keepers mixed in. Got em on a 1 80th oz jig with makiplastics. Crappies started biting near sundown, got a few eaters. a long but fun day on the ice...

Nice gill

bull.jpg

some eaters

sunfish.jpg

bluegill-1.jpg