• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mexico vacation

loosegoose

Highly, highly recommend any where along the Riviera Maya stretch. And most all inclusive are good. We stayed at the newer Copocobana back in 2002 and it was awesome. This stretch of beach is one of the Best Beaches in all of North America!!!!

mr

I agree with Meat on this one. The Riviera Maya has just about anything one could want. Sightseeing and tours, great beaches at most resorts, away from the Cancun crowds, relatively short rides from the airport.

I don't know what your are looking to spend but on the budget side we stayed at the Barcelo Maya and enjoyed it. Great beach, decent rooms, restaurants were a little on the negative side. If you can afford or looking for a higher end resort, I would recommend the El Dorado Royale. Get the Casita upgrade. Beach leaves something to be desired but you will find nice rooms, and service that is absolutely outstanding, especially by tropical vacation standards. The food is outstanding. I have been fortunate enough, through my own planning, or trips won at work to stay in many places in the Carribean and this place by far my favorite.

Both these places are all inclusive resorts and all-inclusive is the only way to go for us these days.

no tips on hotels but

re: Cancun vs. Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen areas.

I've stayed in both multiple times and at my age (43) I like Playa/Riviera better. Playa has bars that you can hang out at, have some beers, listen to a band and socialize with your friends. You can also walk 10 ft down to the next bar and do it all over again.

In Cancun these seemed hard to come by... as every bar thinks that you are Spring Break, has screaming loud music, dance club atmosphere, and sometimes even a $20 cover charge. We really didnt find any/many bars that offered the more laid back/casual type of atmosphere in Cancun - although there MUST be some somewhere.

of course if youre staying in an all-inclusive, maybe these points wont make a difference, not sure

We have been to Cancun 2x and Playa once. We won't be going back to Cancun. Playa is nice and laid back. Like previous posts not quite the "party" that Cancun is. Beaches are awsome and Cozumel is just a short ferry ride away. Snorkling is awesome!!

I agree about Cancun, too much of a spring break atmosphere.

For bars you have to walk blocks to the next one. We did the all inclusive at the Riu Cancun, I cant complain about the place because it was very nice. We are going back in February but this time we rented a house in Puerto Morelos which is south of Cancun between that and Playa.

Playa. As far as all inclusive, I guess that it a question of how adventurous you are. We rent a home from Loco Gringo (google it) rent a van, and grocery shop at a Super Walmart (it's not at all what you would think). It helps that my son speaks spanish. When there, we make 1 run to the Super San Francisco ( a cool grocery store in Tulum) for a mid-trip supply run.

Must see? Tulum, and especially Coba. A huge temple (2nd tallest in the Maya empire) that you can actually still climb. Can't say that anywhere else. Make sure to hire a guide while there, and rent bikes. Awesome!!! Dolphin Discovery. Touristy, but way cool. Swim with a dolphin; it will change you forever. If you have ever dove before, dive in the Cenotes. Not for beginners, but incredible. Otherwise, snorkeling and diving off the coast is world class. Don't be intimidated by snorkeling. Fun and easy. You don't really get tired. You must swim at Tulum. Especially in the morning. Google image search the words "Tulum" and "beach". The photos with the huge rock walls are the beach at Tulum. It is as if you've swam up to some sort of deeply spiritual temple. Again, life changing stuff. Eat Shrimp Tacos. Eat Tampanadas. Eat pizza and beer here in America. Keep the dang limes out of your beer unless you are in the latter stages of Scurvy.

Go. Go. Go.

We stayed at the Casa Maya in a suite but that was a million years ago, 1982, have not been back since but it was a spring break type trip then and sounds like it is still that.

Irving,

I have to take you to task on the lime thing in beer. I have been doing that for about 30 years in my Bud ong necks, long before it was "fashionable" (see Corona). I actually like the taste, I also like to salt the rim of Tecate cans with the lime tossed into the can. I like the new Miller Chill that is making the rounds now, very refreshing up in MN on a hot summer day when the walleye action is slow!

Windy

Stayed at the Secrets Capri in the Riviera. Probably the nicest place I've been too. Great food, and great resort. Adults only which was nice.

I will second the Coba trip. It is a shorter trip than going to the "big pyramid". It was fun to climb. On the same trip we went "way back in the jungle" and had lunch with the natives, then repelled into a large cavern.

Funny story, in that cavern there was a rope ladder to get back out.....the people running the place said that the hoist was for the ladies to get back out, the men must climb the ladder, or be like a lady.

You may just want to swallow your pride and take the hoist, that climb up the rope ladder is one of the most physically difficult things I've done. There's really no safety crew or anything, you are up there dangling 75ft and it's give up and fall (75 ft) back into the water, or dig down deep and make it out.

There was a large Italian guy that was above me and he made it a litte over half way and down he came....SPLASH. All the mexicans were just roaring with laughter, then one yelled, "too much Pasta"

anyways, yeah the Riviera is a great place!

Dtro: Made the climb. Don't suggest it. Didn't fall, and I don't know exactly know how.

I'm pretty sure that in 2008 there would be a big splash. "to much summit".

I'm not here to judge fruit in beer. snicker. but, uhhhh, snicker, uhhhh,

Aw, heck. That's a man law violation for sure!!!

Booking our 4th trip to the Riv Maya ourselves. Staying at the same all-inclusive we have always stayed at (Gran Bahia Principe Coba), and am happy to go back. Tulum Ruins are beautiful and scenic but small, Chichen Itza's ruins are big, but kinda uneventful and a LONG haul from R.M. We are going to go to the Coba ruins this year, as I heard they are some of the more rustic and still being uncovered (and closer!!!). Use the collectivos (vans running the highway up and down all day) as they are cheap and safe. Spend a little time in Playa del Carmen as it's going to give you everything you'd expect from Cancun- minus the Spring Break atmosphere.

Take an hour and go on the Trip Advisor HSOforum, and type in the Riviera Maya. Then search for Tulum, Coba, or Akumal while there, and do some research. Also, Apple vacations and Funjet are a couple of charters that are reasonably priced that we have used, but there are more.

Lime or no lime, the drinks are still great. I'm waiting for the 2nd week in February almost as much as I'm waiting for ice, what a contradiction!