• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need some help with this desicion

I am 14 years old and hav a job working at a local drug store stocking shelves for minimum wage. Anyways... my parents are divorced and my dad always hunts and fishes and does stuff like that with me. Well i asked him if i could build a fish house and he said if i payed for the lumber he would buy the trailer and the winches for the tires and stuff and all the other things. But once i told my mom i was goin to do this she got mad at me and said i should put all my money in the bank for college but i already put half of it in the bank and i really want to build this fishhouse. Plus it gives me something to do over summer break so im not always so bored. so if u could tell me what u think i should do that would be great. Thanx alot.

Remind mom that you are already being responsible with half of your money - that's better than a lot of guys your age. At 14, you are doing every bit of your share to get ready for college! Remind mom that your plan to spend the money on an outdoor project is a lot more constructive than what a lot of other guys your age spend their time and money on. Get/make a solid building plan for your project - blueprint, costs, etc, and help mom understand that this is a project you plan to learn from, do very well and won't leave half done. Tell her you'll bring her home some fish!

Your lucky that you have a parent that hunts and fishes with you. I spend all the time I can with my 2 boys on the water and the woods, it just does not get any better then that. Build the house, it would be a great project for both you and your dad.

Welcome walleyemaster. I think its great to save up for college. I still have student loans and they are a pain. You still have 4 years left to save up and you can still work while your in school. I think its great your dad wants to help out. Not alot of kids your age get to have a dad thats into the things you are and it can be very rewarding to build that house with your dad. I was 5 years old when my dad built an 8x8 house. Half the fun is building it. Its possible your mom may be jealous of you and your dad for having a project together. But she should be greatfull your willing to keep busy in the summer rather then running with the wrong crowd. In the end it will be up to you to decide whats best.

Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 01-08-2003).]

Welcome and I think if you discuss with your mother the benefits like sturgeon said she may realize what a great project it really is. Good luck and good fishin'

Build the house! Your mom might be a little upset with you at first, but hopefully she will realize how much fun you are having using this house that you built with your own two hands. I would guess she would rather have you fishing with your dad then running around town or doing something you shouldn't be doing....I am not saying you would do anything but you know what I mean. Please build the house, you won't regret it.

WM12

Welcome. One thing to think about before you put alot of effort or money in to your house project. Sturgeon46 alluded to it.....

You are proposing building a "permanent" house - which means, its going to be heavy (trailer, winches, tires, yada-yada - all that stuff is going be weight alot - a 1000# would not be unrealistic). What are you going to move it with? Also, since its going to be heavy - how much fishing will you miss at first ice, or in the late season when "permanents" need to be removed?

Think hard about Sturgeon's idea - getting yourself a nice portable - move it by hand, snowmobile, ATV, etc. Once you get your drivers license, you can move it then as well. Plus - you'll appease Mom by not spending as much money.

If you really want a project for you and Dad, there are spots on the web which have free for the taking plans on building a portable house, and there are plans for sale as well. One you build yourself might be heavier than one from a store - all depends on materials and size.

Best of luck

UG

Well, heres my .02

You are a 14 year old boy who is already showing a great deal of responsibility by having a job,saving for college and interested in wholesome, respectable recreation. I work with teenagers as a youth worker in my church and you are a standout young man. I would suggest to your Mom that she read some of these responses and maybe that will help her see a bigger picture.

The benefits you will get from this project are many, you will be involved in something other than hanging out at the mall, playing Nintendo or many of the terrible things youth are doing these days. I am proud of you and I don't even know you!! Your Mom ultimately gets to make the decision, but it sounds to me like you are doing it for all the right reasons, so I hope she comes around.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<

Have your father buy it from you at the end of the season, that way he can store it for you, and you can put that money in the bank. every one wins, you and your parents are happy and you have an ice shack for the future.

At 14 you probably don't have a lot of extra cash for a fancy permanent or portable house. Another option is to build one of the ones like they used to build a few years ago. Plywood floor, hinged light plywood ends, and tarp over both sides and the top. Its inexpensive, easy to build, and a lot easier to store in the off-season, which is another factor that your mother might be concerned about. If you wanted to go this route, I, or a lot of other guys on this sight I'm sure would be more than willing to give you advice or a helping hand. I could show you how to avoid a lot of mistakes because I've either made them or saw them made by others. If interested, put it on this sight and my sons and I will try to help you. Good luck.

To your mom if she reads this.......A boy will only be a boy once in his lifetime. Let him do it. You will not regret it. A child as responsible as he sounds to be will be prepared for college when the time comes.

I see you live in New Prague. You might visit some local building sites in your area. During the framing of a new home, many general contractors throw away materials that you could use to build a fish house. I agree with others above. Go for a portable. You can always build a bigger one later some day if you still want to. Are there any builders in his area that might have some extra materials lying around? Let's get this kid fishing!!!

IF..your serious about catching fish go with the portable ideas, if your looking for a warm hideout on the ice with so so fishing go perm. with a portable youll eventualy need some transportation to pull your stuff around in the ice with, that means youll need to save for the snowmo or 4wheeler, they have their own fun attached. good luck!!

Hey I'm 15, but i spent my money on good ice equipment like the Fl-18 and new ice rods and of course angle-eye lures. grin.gif
I get to use one of my grandpas portables and that is really what you want if you are going to search a lot for fish. If you are going to just have a warm place to stay and hang out i would go with the perm. But don't build too small of one either the worst thing is getting too crowded in a fish house.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

Walleyemaster, I will give you for free a 4x8 portable that I built with plastic paneled ends. You will have no problem moving this around by yourself. Big enough for you and anyone else.Put the extra money towards an FL-18. You will be more mobile, catch more fish and overall have more fun!!! I"ve built every type of fishhouse you can imagine (Incuding an 8X12 all aluminum) In my opinion it just is not worth it, not to mention you have the vandelizing factor.Let me know if you are interested...Go mobile young man, go mobile.

------------------

My fishen partner and I had a colapsable
4x8 given to us. i set it up in the garage today, pretty cool.
I can take this thing in and out of my truck myself but dragging it across the lake is another problem, any ideas , I dont have an ATV or a sled?

Another concern is, what if I left the thing out on the lake for a couple days,
do I need some kind of license for it?
As far as vandels, not too concerned.
not until after it happens I guess, heh.

Another question.
Anyone know anything about these Zachmeier fish houses, I see the 6x10 weighs in at about 750#s, lets say your hauling that thing across the ice with an ATV, any idea what kind of ice thikness one should need?

thanks

Be sure to remind your mom that kids who spend time on the water and in the woods are far less likely to get involved with problems related to drugs, alcohol, and early pregnancy. Then, be dang sure you follow through and keep your nose clean.

I agree with the other suggestions regarding a portable and you have a heck of a nice offer. On the other hand, it might be a nice project for you to work on with your dad.
Good luck,
Scoot

Walleyemaster, the free portable sounds like a great offer! Putting some of the money towards items like rods, hand auger, flasher and maybe a used 3 wheeler seems to be a very good idea. I'm sure many of the members of this site are willing and will help you with your project. I'd take the time to explore all your options and continue to gather as much information as possible and then make your decision. I would also like to say it sounds like you are a very responsible young man and are making good decisions so far. Please take the advice of some of the others here and print this off and show both your parents. Good Luck Walleyemaster and let us know how things go!!

Walleyemaster, it sound like you've got some great advice. There's one more thing I'd reccommend, though. You might want to talk to some of the guys in the Bemidji forum; a lot of them are college students at Bemidji State. It would be ideal to be able to go to college where you could do some excellent fishing. I have a 12 year old son, and I'm already trying to talk him into going to school there. Good luck!

Hey Walleymaster- there are lots of great ideas suggested by all of these wise anglers-show your mother this thread and let her read some of these ideas-I think that will help show her that time and money spent on fishing is well spent, it's a tradition that will last a lifetime if you want it to. You can also tell her that and that you'd be much better off doing your homework in a nice warm shack w/ a lantern than on a bucket in the wind!-good luck and tight lines there are alot of anglers pulling for you.
"The earth is 2/3 coverered w/ water so we should spend 2/3 of our time on the water" smile.gif
redhooks