• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to address creeping 4 whheler.

tunrevir

I have a Polaris 500 and when I am off the throttle it wants to creep foreward. The idle is set as low as it can be. Is this an easy problem to fix? A new belt or just clean up the clutches a bit?. Thanks.

Tunrevir~

I had the same problem on my father in laws machine. Same size machine also and ended up buying a new clutch. It was in the 500 range to have done. It sucks. I realized what was going on after chewing up 2 belts.

I would take the primary cover off and just inspect everything.

first check belt deflection and make sure its good. If belt free play is excessive it will cause the belt to pull up into a higher ratio at engagement. Is the quad sluggish off the line as well? If things are not lined up right the belt can get hot, start to wear, and start slipping. One rule that is beneficial for belt free play is to run the belt as tight as possible without creeping at an idle.

Next I would check the weights in the primary and make sure they are in good shape.

The clutch buttons are probably the weakest point and first to break. Most of the time just buttons and pins need to be replaced. Sometimes the weights are messed up and need replaced too.

There are too many components that you can inspect first before you replace the entire set up. There could be a number of things wrong.

You can also pull the cover and start it up, or take it that way to a dealer, most of them should pull them off for free to help you trouble shoot.

What year is it? Probably 2000 or 2001? Most likely its the fiber bushing in the primary clutch. Usually the fix is to replace it. Unless your lucky enough to have a buddy with clutch tools to take it apart.

Thanks for all of the replies! I am going to take it apart and inspect it, pull the clutch if necessary, check the weights and pins ect. "My dad has and awsome set of tools", and he used to own a motorcycle and snowmobile shop so he should be a big help! Thanks guys.

Tunrevir~