• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dealer prices

Dusty

I am thinking about buying a new ATV and have a Question about dealer prices. Will dealers negotiate the asking price or is it what you see on the sticker it? I have never owned one before so this is new to me. Thanks for any replies.

Most places wont, and if they do, not by much. Your best bet is just call around. And tell them that is what you are doing, and you will buy the lowest priced one, they will shoot you the lowest offer they can then, if they want your business!

Quote:

Most places wont, and if they do, not by much. Your best bet is just call around. And tell them that is what you are doing, and you will buy the lowest priced one, they will shoot you the lowest offer they can then, if they want your business!

It is difficult to find a dealer that will deal, depends on the manufacturer also. You are more likely to find a deal on an cat or polaris, Honda and can-am seem to be pretty set, yamaha, suzuki, kawi if you find the "right" dealer. Meet the service people before you buy see how they respond to your questions. Av good service department is key as "spit happens"

I disagree, I was able to knock off some money on the new machine I bought. especially now with the 08s out, there are alot of new 07's ripe for the taking. they want them gone and they'll deal somewhat to get them gone. not necessarily just price, but you may get a winch or other options thrown in. it's not like a vehicle, but there generally is some wiggle room.

This is the best time of year to buy a leftover 2007 model. Find a dealer that you like and compare prices by making phone calls. Get your dealer to get close to the best price and buy there. A good dealer is worth more than you can save buying elsewhere. They will be within a few hundred of each other.

You should be able to negotiate something. Maybe not on the machine (they make MAYBE $300 on those at the dealer level), but you should be able to on the accessories. Accessories are marked up 50% or more, and you should be able to score a pretty good deal on those at the time you buy.

Calling around to different dealers will often reveal a range of prices for the same equipment. I was able to negotiate price and accessories on mine. Also keep in mind that price is not the only factor when choosing a dealer. I have purchased from a couple different dealers, and noticed a huge difference in customer service, etc. Hope this helps a little.

Dustin

Dusty, picked up a new Yamaha Kodiak 450 2006 (same as grizzly) from a dealership that still had two I think that were still there. It was more than $1000 off of what they sold them for previously. Let me know if you want more info.

Depends on the dealer. I stopped in at one dealer last week and within 10 minutes the sales rep told me 3 times "That price has some flexibility". Good thing, too, cuz the same 07 KingQuad 700 that they had listed for $7100 was listed at $5900 at my preferred dealer 20 miles north of them. I'm sure there was some room to deal.

It irked me pretty bad. I won't be going back there. I actually prefer bottom line pricing without the dickering around.

Blaze, I am with you on the bottom line pricing. After I posted this yesterday, I went to a local dealer that sells several brands. Most or all of the 07 models are marked down about a $1000. I am considering a 07 Honda Rancher AT that they are asking $5300 for.

I was out by Huron, So. Dakota hunting last wknd and the farmer who own's the land bought a new Cat at the dealer in Oglivie, MN. He said the dealer was over 1200.00 less than local dealer.

Quote:

I was out by Huron, So. Dakota hunting last wknd and the farmer who own's the land bought a new Cat at the dealer in Oglivie, MN. He said the dealer was over 1200.00 less than local dealer.

I have worked with the guys at ThomasSnosports a few times and they have been a pleasure to deal with.

I agree on the point about buying the "old" model year. This is a great time to pick up a last years new ATV. That is what I did last Sept - Oct and landed a solid deal. I shopped 3 seperate dealerships in my area Polaris, and they were all with in a $150 of each other. Service sold me and service in my opinion should always be right at the top of the list. What good is it to save a few $$$$ is the dealer and the service is #$@(*#$^ JMO

Jay

The only time they will move much on prices is on previous year models, otherwise $150 is the most I found. I shopped all over MN when I bought my last one, ended up buying it from the cheapest dealer I saved $100 from what my normal dealer would have sold it to me for, it was the worst buying expierence I have ever had! They didnt do a good job on the pre-assembely either, handle bars were loose, scratches on the fender that werent there before. Like stated before if you are buying this years model, I would buy because of the dealer service, and the salesmen. If it was last year model, then shop around, you can save some $$ on them. Either way good luck on your purchase!

Thanks for the tip on Thomas Sno Sports. I went there yesterday and bought a 08 Arctic Cat 500 TRV. Very nice folks to deal with and for being kinka remote they sure were busy. That tells me that its a good dealership.

Quote:

If there's only $300 for dealers to work with on the machines, why the 1200-1500 price differences? I'd bet theres one heck of a lot more markup than you ever dreamed.

They do only make roughly $300 on machines. The reason for the big discounts is manufacturer rebates. Some dealerships just handle the rebates better and can offer them longer.

They make their money in service and parts when people do stupid things. Those shops always seem to be full. There is also a big mark up in the clothing and accessories.

Those weekend warrior motorcycle people are paying alot of wages at these dealerships.

Initially the dealer will only make 300$ on the deal but most manufacturers have “hold back” money. Once the dealer has sold so many units they get that hold back. Most dealers don’t pay for the units right away so when they do, usually after the model year, the units actually will cost less than their invoices show. I’ve had dealers show me their invoices to point out their only making a hundred bucks. A dealer wouldn’t even make a deal if all they were getting was a hundred bucks.

The service dept also make a couple hundred for set up on new machines. There isnt a huge profit to be made, if you look at the dealers, they arent driving caddies, hummers, or lincolns! There are benifints if you sell them all they gave you, cheaper prices next year, parts discounts, apperal ect....