• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beaver Problems

JacobMHD

We have a beaver problem. They keep damming the overflow on our pond. We've trapped them out and they just keep coming. Would one of those garden owls perched on the gate of the overflow repel the beavers? Any other suggestions would be great.

I don't know if it would work in your situation, not knowing how your pond drains,, but there are some mechanisms that you can buy to put over drain pipes so the beaver can't dam them up.

Get ahold of the DNR, I'm sure they have some methods that might work for ya? If not, they might be able to put you onto someone who has.

I'd bet someone in the Minnesota Trappers Association would have a cure for the beaver problem!

Originally Posted By: JacobMHD
We have a beaver problem. They keep damming the overflow on our pond. We've trapped them out and they just keep coming. Would one of those garden owls perched on the gate of the overflow repel the beavers? Any other suggestions would be great.

no the owl would not even bother a beaver...try calling the dnr like they suggested but if they wont do anything you really cannot so anything from then on because the dnr will be watching you. If i where you i would just take care of the problem and not let anyone know.

fishermatt, what you are describing is illegal. Beavers are only allowed to be hunted legally by trapping and only during the open season. Shooting a beaver with a firearm without a permit from a conservation officer or a wildlife manager would place you in a lot of trouble.

If you do not know how to trap or are not interested in trying, contact your local conservation officer or wildlife manager. You may be able to get permission to shoot them. I've tried this before and the person I spoke with insisted that I try legal measures first. He also gave me a couple leads on some trappers in the area who would be happy to do the trapping for me.

The best course of action would be to trap them yourself or find someone interested in it. If you come up empty there you should talk to a DNR official about alternatives.

I guess it depends on where you live. I have been told by my local DNR officer to go ahead and shoot them but I am to destroy them and not keep the fur. He also suggested that I be careful of where my bullets might end up if I miss. I have also had some trappers come and they get most of them but never all of them.

Where I use to work(road maintenance) when they would build dams on road culverts we use what was called a Clemson water lever. Basic you could make one by using 4" PVC pipe, combine about 20 ft of pipe and then adapt up to a 6" or larger pipe(6 or so ft) on one end and cap the end off and drill 1/2 " holes around the full link of 6" pipe. Stick this end on the upstream and let the rest of the 4" pipe lay down stream a greater distant from where they are blocking the water. You may need to be longer then 20ft so they don't detect the water movement. They will never figure out where the water is going works like a charm. Also once you have beaver there, they will keep coming no mater how many you trap,new beaver follow a trail just like mice.

The important part of your comment gadget is that you spoke with the Conservation Officer and he made the exception to allow you to shoot the beavers. If a person chose to make this decision on their own it would be against the law.

Originally Posted By: snowfighter
Where I use to work(road maintenance) when they would build dams on road culverts we use what was called a Clemson water lever. Basic you could make one by using 4" PVC pipe, combine about 20 ft of pipe and then adapt up to a 6" or larger pipe(6 or so ft) on one end and cap the end off and drill 1/2 " holes around the full link of 6" pipe. Stick this end on the upstream and let the rest of the 4" pipe lay down stream a greater distant from where they are blocking the water. You may need to be longer then 20ft so they don't detect the water movement. They will never figure out where the water is going works like a charm. Also once you have beaver there, they will keep coming no mater how many you trap,new beaver follow a trail just like mice.

We have used this same set up in North dakota where we hunt. We also wrap some heavy wire to make like a cage around the pipe so s,maller twigs cannot block off the drilled holes. We had issues with those beavers for years until we had a fellow come in and set this all up.

No more beavers problems but they sure try. Seems that for the last three years we have had no issues.

A trapper friend told me that the sound of the running water is what attracts a beaver. I don't know what gets them to come into your lake and ruin your trees.

here's the link to plans for the "Clemson leveler" you can find out a lot by running a search with those terms.

http://www.icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Beaver/Clemsonlevelerplans.pdf

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fwt/1994/Beaverba.pdf