• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fun with birds on perches

Hey all:

I saw that the cloudy weather was finally about to break after a zillion cloudy, rainy days, so I headed out into the blind to do some avian work. The light was overcast but pretty bright, and I got in a couple hours of shooting before the sun came out completely and ruined things.

Here they are, in no particular order. All with the Canon 30D and Canon 100-400L IS at 200 to 400mm, iso200, apertures from f7.1 to f8, shutter speeds from 1/200 to 1/500, tripod.

Immature male red-winged blackbird

male-blackbird.jpg

Dark-eyed junco 1

junco-horizontal.jpg

Dark-eyed junco 2

junco-cocked.jpg

Alert blue jay

jay-on-antler.jpg

A gracklish irridescence

grackle.jpg

Fox sparrow in the grass (one of my fave sparrows)

fox-sparrow-in-grass.jpg

Female red-winged blackbird

female-blackbird.jpg

Dark-eyed junco 3

d-e-junco.jpg

Dark-eyed junco 4

brown-junco.jpg

Well done, as usual Steve. Tried to do some of the same last night, but waited until it was too late and couldn't get a shutter speed fast enough to get what I wanted. They're okay, but not like yours. I remember our conversation last spring when you were excited to be able to take prime time to do the photography you wanted. I'm jealous. Couple of years to retirement and I'll get the same opportunity!

Thanks, Dan. These aren't home runs, but sometimes in the middle of photo excursions and weddings and portraits (which are a lot of fun), I just have to escape to the blind and watch birds from six feet away. When you're that close, even the common birds look very cool.

B. Amish, I'd like to say I pay a local boy to put horns on his head like what's in your avatar, but it's just a perch nailed to my feeder. grin.gif