• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chickadee and deer (sort of)

Hey all:

With bow season here and gun season coming soon, I thought I'd post an image of a chickadee but also one that honors the upcoming deer season.

Canon 1D Mk2n, Canon 400 f2.8 Mk2, Canon 1.4 TC, iso200, 1/500 at f4, tripod

looking-up-2.jpg

Thanks, man. I'm thinking of adding this to a show, and in my experience and from what I've seen, bird images only sell well when they have something more to offer than just a sharp pose of a bird on a perch. I'm hoping the coloring you mentioned, along with the antler and the nice pose, might be enough of an added value to make this attractive, so I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on that.

Steve,

Nicely done! I tried one similar to this a couple of years ago with a moose antler. Those pesky chickadees are quick! I got some shots, but couldn't get one with the bird in good focus. Spent one afternoon with it, guess I'll have to try it again.

I was 10 feet away, just past the minimum focus distance for that lens. This is a square crop of a horizontal image, leaving the full vertical stretch of the frame intact but cropping in somewhat from each side for the square presentation.

Just in case anyone thinks I was that close to a live buck and a chickadee landed on the deer, these are a set of antlers tacked up over a shed door near a feeding station, and are a popular perch for many of the birds that use the station. That's what I meant by a variation on "bird on a stick."

Quote:

Just in case anyone thinks I was that close to a live buck and a chickadee landed on the deer, these are a set of antlers tacked up over a shed door near a feeding station

Thats why I thought this was so unique and wanted to know how close you got. lol crazy.gif