• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problems on the brule...

Hi Everyone

So, we finally get some rain and I go out to try and get after the lake run browns that run up river every year. I get to Brule and turn by the Old Twin Gables and the road is closed. So, I drive a bit farther and make it almost all of the way down to Winneboujou and there is construction equipment and piles of dirt all of the way across the road. The whole highway was blocked off. Does anyone know of any other way to get to the upper brule? I was looking for detours, but it was 10:30 pm and I was running out of options quick. I even stopped in at the Krobar to ask questions, but the locals were no help. Does anyone know how long the road will be closed? I'd sure like to get out there next weekend and the weekend after if possible...

scifisher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a detour.

Coming from Souptown on HW2, take the first right after crossing the river. I'm not sure what that road is called, but there should be some detour signs up. It's a fairly straight shot and you'll come out right by the Winni bridge.

I think the construction is supposed to be done by the end of this month but you know how that goes.

Heard about the road closure from the WI DNR web site.

Does anyone have any info on the status of the brown/steelhead/salmon runs? Pleeeeeaaase?

Will be fishing there for the first time ever this week or later in the month. I have self-educated myself on many aspects of the river, but I don't want to go all the way there and not have a chance at any of the lake run fish.

Find the slowest and deepest pools and hit them at night. Throw mouse patterns or surface patterns that you would throw for pike. Or if you are spinning, throw jointed rapalas, jitterbugs, or hula poppers. Retrieve slow and hope for the best. There are 30" browns to be caught and all you have to do is get a line in the water!

if i remember correctly last year the peak of the stealhead run was either the second to last week or the last week in september. do you guys think it will be similar this year, or will the low water or other factors force it to be sooner or later. im sure there are countless factors that affect it (weather being the main one), but i am just curious as to when everyone thinks the peak run will be this fall.

Quote:

the run peaked in the second week of october last year, it should peak in a similar time frame this year considering water temps and levels are right about where they were at this time last year.

Really? I got the impression from much of what I read, primarily from the DNR, that many of the runs peak in mid-late September. Maybe that is in higher flow years?

At any rate, I won't be going this week. Will wait for slightly better weather, as I will be camping.

Jerry, I think those reports are a little weighted. QS is right that it happened in the first to middle part of October. I only remember this because I had put the fly rods away to concentrate on bow hunting and they were giving me a hard time on missing all these fish grin.gif

What part of the UP are you from? I grew up in Bessemer.

I live in Ishpeming, but I consider the entire western U.P. my home. Amazing how many people migrate from the U.P. to Minnesota and vice-versa, isn't it?

I myself have passed over the Brule many times on trips to and from MN, but have never gotten the chance to fish it, so I decided this was the year to set aside some time.

Quote:

I don't know what Quick is talking about.
confused.gif
The only fish in the Brule are tiny smolts and a few browns. Pretty sure most of the fish that come in do so in the last half of November.

That's what I hear too. Mid-summer is also supposed to be good as well!

Joking is not in my vocabulary. Serious as a heart attack. I've also heard that fishing at night after the end of September is dynomite shocked.gif

Really, i'm not ripping on Quick at all. I bet he'd be all right if he would come to the darkside and get a pin. grin.gif Join us! That's right, i'm starting a pin gang, and it's already got a few members. Look out boys, the pin can't be stopped!

I don't think you'll ever catch me with bait on my hook when I'm on the Brule. But I am switching it up a bit this year. I've made a commitment to leave the indicators at home and only fish downstream and across with a sink tip, the hits you get this way are unreal! I'll go for the dead drift again in November. In all seriousness I think it's cool how many different techniques we're seeing on the Brule these days. I like the centerpin guys, I just hate how I keep getting outfished by them! tongue.gif We'll have to have a pin vs fly day sometime this fall.

I made it to the upper brule last night and I was able to access just fine. I took county road B through Lake Nebagamon and that worked just fine. I fished from sunset until about 10:00 pm pitching jointed raps, hula poppers, and jitterbugs. There was some action on the surface early, but it died away pretty quickly. There was a canoe anchored in one of the pools I was fishing. They were at the best spot and they happened to catch a fish. I only got cold.

I think next time I'm going to bring my canoe. It be nice to scout out the water and see where the weed beds are. I bet that harling a fly through the channel would produce.

Quote:

We'll have to have a pin vs fly day sometime this fall.

Thems some fightin words. Bring it on, 2 man teams with digital cameras. I'll even let you guys count smolts grin.gif As long as i've got my yogurt tubs full of roe saks, i'm ready to anniahlate.

I'm going to keep using "Problems on the brule" as my Brule reports thread, at least until I start catching some fish.

Hacked away on the upper river for about 4 hours this afternoon, with 7wt, sink tip, and big streamers, trying to avoid the smolts and find something to justify breaking out the heavy artillery. Had one take on a 4" streamer but apparently it got only fur and missed the hook.

A nice warm drizzle was coming down the whole time but the river was as low as ever. Gonna hit the lower river tomorrow, hopefully I can put the "Problems on the brule" thread to rest.

Leaves were pretty on HWB.