• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problems on the brule...

Alright, I had a heck of a time getting this link correctly sent to the mods to find out if I could post it (ahh, the joys of technology), so I hope someone gets something out of it!

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/science/inventory/TroutHooking.pdf

This is a study of single hooks versus treble and barbed versus barbless. It may be one of the studies referred to earlier, but if not, it is still useful.

Despite the conclusions I will continue to use single and/or barbless hooks when I expect to release a lot of fish.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not too proud to say I have caught many trout and salmon with a treble hook.

Its funny how some of you guys (Many of you I have fished with) will take issue with these trout/salmon being hooked with trebles in the Brule or other rivers but have no problems trolling cranks/spoons around on lake superior and other bodies of water. confused.gif

Dont tel me thats any better for the fish.

I just want to add that I have nothing against trebles personally--I do use them pretty often--although I crimp the barbs if I think I will be releasing a lot. Just a personal choice, though. I posted that study/report link because it is relevant to earlier discussion.

I am back in this thread because I am considering a trip over there for Tuesday and Wednesday. Sounds like the action is better now than when I was originally considering going. Anyone care to mention whether there are many fresh cohos anymore?

Northlander, there is a difference for me anyways. When I fish the brule, I always practice catch and release, and I feel that single hooks make it easier to get the fish back in the water more quickly and in better shape. When trolling the big lake I like to take a few home (not steelhead grin.gif). I did not send this post in another direction to start arguments and to point fingers. Trebles are still legal and I have no problem with people using them, that's their right. But I won't be one of them, because I personally feel that they kill more fish that you intend to release.

Quote:

Not to mention their love for the billy club Northlander. I know several of you are closet clubbers! I even have pics....
smirk.gif

Maybe I need to bring "The Club" to the BB next time I fish it.

Trebles are trebles no matter where and what your fishing. You cant have it both ways. Either you believe in them or ya dont Quick. Get off the fence dude.

I know its just a Fly Fishing thing and I wont understand it. You guys wonder why you get this "Elitist" label. grin.gif

It's really not a fly fishing thing at all. I agree with Quick 100% with his opinions on the Brule. I fish the Brule exclusively with the long rod now. When I head over to some of my super secret brookie streams in west central WI, I will often times throw panther martins. Even when throwing spinners, I always swap out the treble for a single hook. Back in my younger days, I saw what that treble could do to a trout's mouth when 2 or 3 hooks were stuck good. Call me crazy, but I even quit using trebles on my tip-ups. I believe I get more, solid hook-ups with a single hook. About the only trebles I use anymore, are the hooks on my Grandma Bait, when I'm row trolling for muskies back home in Sayner.

A couple pictures of those Alaskan beauties.

weirtroutfy0.th.jpg

zachrinbowhb0.th.jpg

Sorry NL, but I respectfully disagree with your opinion here. The situation is different for all people I guess. I'll say it again I NEVER ATTACKED ANYONE FOR USING THEM, I never said it was wrong or unethical. I just said it could help in getting the fish back quicker and healthier. There is no fence to get off of because the big lake and the brule are two totally different situations. If I could effectively troll stick baits with one size 12 hook I would, but now that just sounds plain silly grin.gif. I feel like I've been preaching on this subject too much, so I'm gonna stop now and leave each to his own. I feel there has been some good discussion here and that is encouraging to me. If anyone would like to spend a day on the water I have extra fly setups, and plenty of stones and x legs. Just let me know, I'm easy to get a hold of, now if I could only find a little more free time. grin.gif

By the way, I am one of those closet clubbers, but only on lakers, kings, and cohos! tongue.gif

Quick that fence has to lean 1 way I guess. wink.gif

I just dont see how a guy can say that fishing with trebles is ok in 1 body of water and not the next. Or for 1 type fish and not the next. Its like a club on a Laker but not a Steelie.

Thats like me saying only single hook spinners for walleyes but treble hook spinners for lakers. Dont make sense to me.

I agree 100% trebles can be hard on fish. That I dont think can be disputed.

Any ways Kent Ill take ya up on them Fly Rod lessons some time. Can ya tie me up some hex patterns with #4 trebs on them. shocked.gifwink.gif

Its a slow time of year for me Quick so Im ribbin ya a bit to help with my boredom. Nothing personel at all.

Alright, I have the day off on Friday and I'm heading out fishing somewhere. I may do the Brule, I may chase after muskie on the Bay, or I may go up the north shore and chuck spoons. I'm thinking the Brule is sounding pretty good right now, but I'm concerned about the amount of rain we've been getting and the amount of rain that is forcasted to come on Thursday. My guess is that she'll be hummin' along pretty high muddy. Does anyone know what she's flowing at now? How do you think that will change?

What kind of techniques do you try when conditions get like that? Are fish going to move around or hunker down?

Quote:

Alright, I have the day off on Friday and I'm heading out fishing somewhere. I may do the Brule, I may chase after muskie on the Bay, or I may go up the north shore and chuck spoons. I'm thinking the Brule is sounding pretty good right now, but I'm concerned about the amount of rain we've been getting and the amount of rain that is forcasted to come on Thursday. My guess is that she'll be hummin' along pretty high muddy. Does anyone know what she's flowing at now? How do you think that will change?

What kind of techniques do you try when conditions get like that? Are fish going to move around or hunker down?

It is currently running at 208 cfs. I was there all last week and it was running at 311 then. It was high and muddy, tough to wade and only a couple fish to show for all the work. The forecast is for something like 1-1/2 to 3 inches of rain. It would be my guess that besides not being able to wade it safely, fishing will be very difficult at best.

Quote:

Quick that fence has to lean 1 way I guess.
wink.gif

I just dont see how a guy can say that fishing with trebles is ok in 1 body of water and not the next. Or for 1 type fish and not the next. Its like a club on a Laker but not a Steelie.

Wow, you guys sound like a couple teenage girls arguing over who's got the best ringtone on their cell grin.gif

I don't see how it would be hypocritical to condone trebles on the lake and not on the brule as they are completely different fisheries. Sure I'll fish trebles if I'm out on the lake trolling, but I don't think I've ever been shy about making it known that I intend to KILL those fish. I worked 4 seasons on 2 different charter boats on both sides of the state line, and saw less than a dozen steelhead come to the boat. You'll have a hard time gettting me to believe that its even remotely the same as fishing Brule river steelies with trebles. There is no doubt whatsoever that trebs tear fish up, although not quite as badly as a well aimed club smirk.gif which is why they are far from ideal for use on fish that will be released. Personally I would love to see the Brule as a barbless fly only water, but I know will never be that way. It seems pretty likely that the population would benefit from it though.

This whole disagreement seems a little silly though. I've gotta say that I'm a little surprised anyone would be of the opinion that treble hooks do not result in a higher hooking mortality than a barbless single. Seems like common sense to me...

Come on guys, we can discuss this without making personal attacks. Illtakewhaticanget was stating his opinion just as you guys did, as well as I did.

Bruledrifter, I do agree with you that there is no need to fight each other. But I know Illtakewhaticanget quite well, and I know that if you ran into him on the river he would be as civil and friendly as can be, no matter what you had tied to your rod. This is a discussion and he was just adding his 2 cents.

[Note from admin: Warning. Let's keep this friendly and moving in a positive direction please. Thanks so much.]