• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Must-Haves

brian6715

for all you w/portables, Ive found a squeegy comes in very handy for clearing windows or the sweat on the roof, found mine at an auto parts place, its blade is rubber on plastic so it forms to the shape you want it to.

the essentials.
strong arms and desire. Warm boots like Bunny boots or sorels with felt liners. A parka with hood. warm jersy gloves.
long underwear. plad shirt.

Minimum of 6.6 arm lengths of 6 lb test line wrapped around 1/4 wooden dowls about 6-8 inches spaced apart.
bronze hooks and lead sinkers.
Heavy duty steel chisel.
ice scooper.
Depth finder consisting of a heavy lead sinker with a spring clip.
Bucket of minnows and some golden rod worms.
coleman lantern or candles.
good pad to kneel on.
Good fishing.
CT

[This message has been edited by crappie todd (edited 02-01-2003).]

Not too much to add except booze does give you a false sense of warmth, everyone knows that. What a lot of us forget is the cafiene in our coffee and pop isnt any better.
One thing not mentioned yet is a good head lamp.

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is ice chaps, I never leave home without them.

Also essential is the necklace I wear consisting of a fingernail clippers, a jig eye buster, a light source for charging glow jigs, and a foreceps. I also keep a lead depth finder on there but it is more for looks since I got the vex a couple of years ago.

Dave

i am with FishHead on this one ,, she will need to understand why you spent 400$ on a depth finder( Marucm for me ). 500$ for the portable house ( voyuger plus the 2 i allreadfy had ) . 325$ for the Jiffy ( cause the old eskimo was wore out ) . the 50$ mr heater/cooker thyat boke and you went back to using the 15yrold model you had 1st. not to mention the rod/ reel combos ( 7) , and 12 or so jig sticks, and a few tip ups . so there you go ,, get that understanding woman so when you go out on the ice and say your going to be home at 6pm and dont show up by morning when she has to go to work that she dont call the cops on ya cause she thinks ya fell in( happened recently). when you find a woman like that let me know if she has a sister hahahaha