• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blatter Control?

Zimm

Good thinking Grump. I have done the same thing. If you find an old lid and a little silicone you will be at the Radison. Word of warning about dogs on the ice. If they smell the bag outside your house they will have lunch. This is no joke. Hid the bag so your dog doesn't find it, or you'll be looking for a doggie mint. Zimm

Okay, an honest question for all the veteran icefishers out there, from a relative newcomer (this will be my third winter on the ice). This is never covered in the icefishing books!

Question: is peeing on the ice considered a no-no? I've done it before (discretely), but I want to know if I am violating icefishing etiquette and sportsmanship by doing so.

Zimm - thanks for posting this - I kept meaning to raise this topic myself. I usually fish at Bush lake and am very close to to a heavily wooded area where I can find a tree for #1. But sometimes that has not been an option.

-Mike

I guess I would say it would be proper if you were peeing on your own snow banks along your house. It is not proper etiquette to pee on someone else's house when they are not present. It is ok to pee on someone else's house provided, #1 you saw them do it first, and #2 you are or have visited with them in the last 3 hours.

It is also customary to cover your new art work with fresh snow, so it doesn't affect the eye appeal of the area.(kind of like keeping your lawn clean and mowed)

You may pee in your own ice hole, or one you drilled, but not someone else's.

It is ok to do a #2 in your own bucket, provided you take it back with you, and do not leave it on the ice...because of a dog getting a free lunch factor.
It is not ok to #2 is someone else's bucket, and then leaving it there for their ice rods or fish to land in.

You may not at any time "freelance" on the ice(#2 right on the ice, no protection or cover), thats just plain gross, and I would hate to step in it.

I hope this helps, these are the rules I live by on the ice.-irish

I have a personal friend that got a pollution ticket for taking a leak on the ice. I have also heard of people getting exposure tickets. It isn't worth it to me. "Irish" that is the type of answer I was afraid of. I love it. Zimm

I always carry a small coffee can with me for minnows, etc. It doubles as a pee can that I use in my portable (take out the minnows first!). When I move my hut, I pour it down the hole I fished in, and rinse out the can in the hole that I had my Vex. in.

For the Gravy Train, I carry a roll of TP that has a plastic shopping bag or two stuffed inside the roll tube. Then the whole thing is put in a freezer sized zip lock bag. The plastic shopping bag is used as a liner for a 5 gal. bucket.
You better get a bigger one that fits a 7 gal. bucket if Gissert gives you about 2#s of Lutefisk to eat!

I know a guy that works in a nursing home. Now this guy doesn't like to stop fishing for anything and he loves drinking beer. Who Doesn't? He came up with the ultimate solution to your urine related woes. He uses a little of the nursing home technology and catheterizes himself. Yes for all of you non medical people out there he connects himself to the [PoorWordUsage] bag by sticking the tube in the wang hole. EEEOwwww. Utilizing this advanced technique he can drink all the beer he wants and fish all day interuption free. Sounds crazy but when it gets cold. I mean real cold -30 -40 you'll be thinking "man I wish I had that Wang tube inserted in my Johnson." I think they should start selling them on fishing minnesota

Hey CDB, Does this guy have an email, he could make a few$ on the side. It would be real handy in the deer stand too. Drink a thermous of coffee, then have a couple beers, not having to negotiate six layers of assorted insulating garments plus just stay in the stand.

Hey I've got to make a five hour drive to Mpls here in a few weeks ... ???

Boy o boy! a ticket for peeing on the ice???
What lake was this guy fishin? What else was he doing?
Thats the most unheard of thing I every heard
of.

If thats against the law I've been Al Capone
since I was 10. Of course you want to cover
everything up. Of course you want to use a
bucket and a bag if you can. Of course you
want to be descrete if you can be.(Kinda hard
to be descrete squatting over the hitch of your truck trying your best not to fill your boots).

I taught my kids to pee behind the house
and cover it up when done. After describing
the proceedure for the big job, they would
go before the trip began.

This question bothers me for 2 reasons.

1. Everything that lives on the ice does its business on the ice.

2. If a Game Warden is gonna hassle you about
peeing on the ice you must be doing it wrong.

This should never come up in real life!

Some of the responses are pretty interesting
though.

Curt Quesnell

It's illeagal to wizz in the ice in WI. Depositing waste materials is what your ticket will read.
I carry a liter pop bottle with me for those times when nature calls. To avoid confusion I don't use a Mtn Dew bottle. and NO , that's not from experience ! LOL
A 5 gallon pail/plastic bag does the trick for those times when ya got one knockin.
I carry plenty of wipe in a sandwich bag.

When nature calls, you answer. The alternative isn't good. It's not illegal to pee in the snow in Minnesota as far as I know (can't speak for other states or Canada. Never gave it a thought to tell the truth. I usually start by writing my first name in the snow, then my middle name and finally my last. Once I get to that point, I know it's time to move the shanty....I would never consider catheterization. I'm not gonna talk about doo doo.....T

GEEMAN, the pop bottle idea is good but some of us are better endowed than a stud field mouse! Heres the slick trick. Just get an empty laundry detergent bottle and your troubles are over. Nice large opening, great capacity up to 200 plus ozs., leakproof cap, and easy pour spout, and a great handle for holding onto. Some of the larger sized ones will hold a full case of beer or more. You can plop johnny into it and won't get an exposure ticket either. I have a friend in Alaska who keeps a Tide jug in the boat, it has a nice Kenai river scene painted on it by a friend of ours. So find someone who is artsy-craftsy and when your not using it you will have some fishouse art! grin.gif

I know I will get some funny answers, but what do you do when you need to go? When small chiidren are with? Teaching them not to go on the ice. Don't be surprised when you don't allow the C.O. to look through your house to see a ticket on your windshield for pollution on the ice. Lets get some ideas going. I have cut off the top of a milk jug, used the boaters bathroom, and even used the ice from time to time. Lets get it going!!!
Zimm

Zimm

Your jug idea sounds fine for peeing. Last winter I was in desperate condition to take
a dump. It was broad daylight, and there are lots of residences on this particular lake, I also knew I wouldn't make the hike to one of the nearest islands.

If you have a 5 gallon bucket, and some of the plastic shopping bags like you get at
Wal-Mart, etc, you are all set.

Put a bag in the bucket, and you have an instant "throne". Set the contents outside
when done, let it freeze, then dispose of
properly when returning to shore.

The bags are also handy to have for putting
fish, trash, etc in. They are cheap, light, and readily available.

HTH

UG

CDB - You have got to be kidding about your buddy and the catheter! I know there are some fishing nuts out there, but I can't believe someone would go to those lengths. I'm not squeamish, but holy ****! When I read that my knees went weak.

Needless to say he's a little out there to be using a catheter. The thing that I thought was interesting is that he acted like it was no big deal. I guess when you work with that stuff all the time it's no big deal. I don't endorse it I'm just reporting it.