• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New ATV... How good of deal did I get?

mike morris

I was just reading that for 2008 the retail price for a 500 is 5995. This is $500 lower than the msrp on the first 500 back in 1996. I hope your machine is in perfect condition.

Quote:

If it was a honda you might have gotten an alright deal.
grin.gif
Other then that you got robbed.

pshhhhhhhhhhh.

If it was a honda he would still be putting it home. That 500 motor will last like a honda, but have some power. That is said to be the best motor Polaris has ever had built. Of course, you probably already knew that............

With a question like this you're setting yourself up for disappointment. No matter what your deal was, there'll likely be somebody out there that is aware of a better one. Does it really matter how your deal compares to others? You must have been comfortable with your situation to open your wallet. Be satisfied and enjoy it or don't buy it in the first place.

We have a tendency to do this with our paychecks too. We like to compare to the "average" but average is misleading because where you are located, your level of experience, your work ethic, your attitude, and a host of other things impact your worth. Be satisfied with what you have and what it cost you.

Bob

True dat! In the end, you've already bought it so the question doesn't really matter. If there is a next time, go ahead and pose the question on here BEFORE you make a purchase, a lot of us will be happy to offer unbiased input.

Strad

Quote:

The only problem with "the best motor that polaris ever built" is it is a Fuji engine, but I will agree it is the best engine polaris has to offer.

Are you saying this because Honda has the same maker of engines? smile.gif

No big deal, but a Honda will not stick with a Polaris anywhere, except maybe the Rincon on the trails.

Quote:

The only problem with "the best motor that polaris ever built" is it is a Fuji engine, but I will agree it is the best engine polaris has to offer.

ha you forgot about the new ktm's shocked.gif

C'mon Dave lets be fair then.... what about the other post that said "but a Honda will not stick with a Polaris anywhere"....We both know that aint true don't we now Dave? wink.gif With 65 to 70,000 miles of ATV riding behind me you know I might have a little to say to dispute that foolish claim.

remember now....."STAY LEFT!"

Quote:

No big deal, but a Honda will not stick with a Polaris anywhere, except maybe the Rincon on the trails.

Yeah, Dave...you know where a forum violation is when you see it. blush.giftongue.gif lol

I must've missed that one for some reason.... tongue.gif Man, you Honda guys really catch those jabs fast... grin.gif

Hey, I'm a Honda guy now, too, ya know! My Honda goes through and cuts the grass very well. tongue.gif

Hey thanks guys for the support! Dave sorry about the golf cart joke. Even I know a polaris is better then a golf cart, not by much laugh.gif, but better.

Macgyver: Was their a hidden message in one of your earlier posts? Did you have to give Dave a tow or something?

Way to make the guy feel proud of his machine guys.

Mike412,

I own a Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, Have not a any trouble with it. It has been able to get me to where I want to go and back again. If your happy with your new machine...great! May it serve you well for what you want to use it for.

"hooks"

Wow, sorry guys. I don't mean to make enemies. I know a thing or two about atv's, but everyone knows the rider makes a big difference.

Go to Highlifter and see how many hondas are in the bogs or in competition. Not saying at all that they are bad(who CAN say that), but they aren't #1 above all like is said on this site over and over again.

To the poster.....I hope you are happy with your machine. I'm sure you will be.

I own 2-Sportsman 500 EFI's, one for riding, one for parts. grin.gif J/K

Seriously though they have both been good machines with minimal hiccups. If you can't poke fun of your own machine then whose can you poke fun of.

Buy what you like, ride it like you stole it, problems are inevitable, and always remember if you didn't break something-you didn;t do it right. wink.gif

To the original poster I apologize if I offended you. I wasn't intending to put down your purchase at all. The main thing is that you are happy with it and comfortable with the price. A new ATV is always a thrill whether its your first one or not. I know it never gets old for me and I've had 12 now. I've introduced at least a dozen guys to riding and being with them the first time they ride is half the fun.....seeing them smile in disbelief at what an ATV can do. My intention was to razz Dave a bit about our first ride together. I won't go into that, but it made me smile more than him.

To some guys competition and mud bogs are a priority and some type of measure of a good machine, and thats ok if thats what you intend to do with it. In reality it has little to do with how you will use it on a day to day basis. If it were the most important measure, Honda might not be the #1 seller of ATVs. I know after riding as long as I have that has come to mean a lot less to me. The ability of a machine (any machine) to perform reliably and to your expectations day after day and always be ready for what ever you throw at it is the measure of a good machine. As long as it does that the brand doesnt matter.

Take care of your new machine, (what ever it is) and it will serve you well, and you WILL be happy with it.

Now....have some fun!