• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

JULY bass fishing report (whats working now)

TNFL

Glad you had a great day Doon!.. thanks for sharing it with us! Deep water fish have a much larger chance of schooling like you found than shallow water fish.. if you found one.. you found more!

congrats on finding a school out in the deep!.. thast a blast.. Any picts?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out on Bald Eagle yesterday for a club tournament and found all my fish shallow on a jig and a couple on a frog. Morning bite was best for bigger fish, but they bit most of the day. Ended the day with 16lbs 5oz with big fish being 4lbs 5oz.

Mr.Pike,

nice smallies! those livewell pictures are pretty cool

Not for me, one guy found a couple deep fish in the morning, but that was it a majority of the guys caught their fish shallow. I hadn't practiced deep at all. My plan was to try and catch 10lbs or more to keep me in contention for AOY in the club and I thought I could do it shallow so I stuck with that, it ended up being a little better than I expected.

Coming to your home turf for the next one Deitz. Never been on NS Center before, but I enjoy breaking down new lakes, should be fun!

Deitz,

I think I'd enjoy prefishing for a day with ya smile.gif. I work full time at a bank right now, except I have the afternoons off this thursday and next thurday (7/26 & 8/2). I also am free this whole upcoming weekend. If this upcoming saturday or sunday would work for you I think that would be best, so we could fish the same hours that the tourney would be. If none of those days work for you thats just fine, I know everyone has busy summers. Feel free to shoot me an email to let me know, thanks for the offer!

Fished this evening on a north metro, C&R lake (guess - it rhymes with zurtle grin.gif), and fish seemed to be happy to go after pretty much anything. Buzzbait, spinnerbait, cranks, texas rigged, jig and curly tails all caught fish. Nothing huge, but most were in the 14-16" range. Fish were holding tight to the weedlines or inside scattered weed areas in 5-7 feet. Good times, but most the bass on that lake seem pretty skinny.

stcroix,

Nice work at BE on Sat. 16+ pounds out of there isn't bad at all. would you mind shooting me an email, I have a couple questions I would like to ask you for a tournament I have coming up on B.E.

carl.spande at hotmail

Thanks

Yesterday, water temp was 84 degrees. My initial thought was outside weeds, so we fished from 5:30 to 7:00 in 8 feet of water in a few areas that had produced earlier in the year. Caught NADA.

7:00 to 9:00 we headed to a different sections of the lake, and proceded to boat approximately 22 bass from docks, shallow green weeds, and lilly pads. All fish came from 3 feet or less. biggest was only 17 inches, but man what a turn-around. We managed our bag of six so the smallest was 13.5 inches, and won first in our league last night. This lake is known more for numbers than size BTW.

P.S. the bigger ones came after 8pm.

Quote:

We have had very consistant weather the last few days... please all, keep in mind. The bass do not care one little bit what our air tems are...

And..... (What does that make the bass do?)

Fished a metro lake Tuesday night, we ended up with about 20 fish between the two of us in four hours. Four of them broke the 18" mark, all fish were found on structure in 6' of water or less. Soft plastics only.

Felt good to stick some fish, felt even better to catch the first seven fish when I had Mr. FishCounter fishing in the boat with me. cool.gif Man, the tension was almost as thick as the air until he finally got on the board. grin.gif

TNFL,

Correct me if Im wrong but in clearer water especially fish move deeper when temps are higher because the higher temperature means less dissolved oxygen levels. At 80 degrees Farenheit there is about 8.7 mg/l of dissolved oxygen. At 60 degrees there is about 10.5 mg/l of dissolved oxygen. At 40 degrees there is 13.4 mg/l of dissolved oxygen. So the fish like deeper water that has cooler temps.

Also there is more dissolved oxygen shallower in murkier lakes shallow, 100 degrees is about 6 mg/l! If its been cloudy lately the plants will take more oxygen so there will be less oxygen.

ocf?.. plants dont take o2, they give it off... unless they are dieing.

Your numbers I have no idea if they are right or wrong... but wave action shallow puts more o2 back intothe water. I would not be worried about low o2 levels just because we have had a few warm days. In your livewell... Yes I would worry.. in the lake.. not so much.

Algae and rooted aquatic plants provide oxygen to the water through photosynthesis. Microbes will eat up dissilces oxygen on the surface water from decomposing plants. A LM and SM can survive up to 5 mg/l. There can be more oxygen held when the pressure is higher. Also the breakdown of other organisms can deplete Dissolved oxygen levels.

I was going to chime in on the O2 thoughts but ocf1 beat me to it. Plant work the opposite of us, we take in O2, the plant make O2. Sunlight is a big factor (among other things), this is why clear lakes you can find weed beds and such (that create more O2 than other plant life) at much deeper areas than in muddier or stained lakes, since the light penetration is better in clear water. Deitz you are correct about the wave action adding to the oxygen levels in the lakes (it is the same process in rivers with riffles, waterfals and such), however it is only a piece of the bigger picture.