• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Too late to water lawn?

Gus

I move into my new house this weekend and the grass is looking pretty brown. Is it too late to water and try to bring it back? It is an established lawn not new. Any tips suggestions?

I have been watering my lawn to just help it along. A few years ago I let it go and thought it was going dormant and I lost some bigger areas due to no moisture. I dont like paying the city for the extra water but I dislike reseeding much more. I also have some tress that were planted a few years ago and I am also watering them and have been all summer. Some leaves started to dry up and I'm not going to lose trees due to a little watering.

Where in Wyoming do you live??

99% of our soil here is so sandy, that it's going to be almost impossible to keep enough water into it to get it back, especially with watering bans.

I maintain the RiverBank, the BP, and the 2 stip malls next to those places.

The RiverBank and the 2 strip malls are all irrigated. The BP gas station isn't. If you look, the RiverBank is drier looking than the BP.

It's going to mostly depend on the type of soil that you have. If you have a heavier clay based soil that will retain water, you can try to revive it.

If it's pretty much just sand, I'd let it go dormant this time of year, and then fight for it next year.

If you've got any questions, and see a 24' Featherlite trailer pulled by a gray Dodge around town (Wyoming / Forest Lake) feel free to stop and ask away.

I'm already fighting the wall this early and am always looking for a 5-10 minute break. grin.gif

It is pretty sandy soil. I think it's gone. We moved in this weekend and the grass is crunchy crunchy crunchy. I have a couple small areas in the front and back that get shade from a few trees and the house and they are probably ok. I'll just let the rest come back in the spring. Wife says I have to hold off on buying the riding lawn mower if the grass isn't going to grow anymore. mad.gif I want a new toy...er tool!

I live in Isanti where there is sand. I've mowed my lawn twice this year. I have even fertilized. With the little rainfall we've had this year I decided not to run sprinklers to keep the grass green. Costs too much to maintain with the sandy soil even though I have 3-4" of black dirt on top of the sand. I keep my mowing height tall so if we do get rain the grass could hold the moisture better. I would say 40% of my grass is probably dormant already. I have patches of green and semi green grass throughout the yard. Around my neighborhood the better yards have underground sprinklers that come on in the morning and evenings. That's the ticket to have in maintaining a nice yard instead of moving a sprinkler every couple hours.