• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mowing the septic mound

traveler

Do I have to do it?? I've heard various thoughts on this...it makes sense not to let anything big take hold, but does letting the grass go do any harm? My mound is right across the back yard next to the woods, and I'd love to let it go semi-wild:) Actually, it was my wifes suggestion, since I finally got her to start running the rider last year:) We have clay soil, and anytime I've dug to plant a tree or something, the turf roots seem to be confined to the top 10 inches or so, it just doesn't seem to me like it would do any harm to let it go. Thanks!

My sister who lives west of Barnum says that they may or may not cut in the spring, depending on growth. They get the most protection from having overgrowth at the end of summer and into the cold weather. It depends a lot on how early the snow comes and how cold the winter is.

You could plant prairie grasses and ornamentals to "disquise" the area and help protect it.

It will be just fine to not mow it. There are many individuals that either plant it into natives or just let it go. I would keep an eye out for rooting/growing shrubs/trees and try to keep them at bay.

If designed correctly a mound system is sized based on depth to seasonally high water table (amount of dry sand needed or overall height) and texture or ability of water to move through existing soil (this determines soil sizing factor multipliers and hence the size of the footprint of the mound).

In other words, your mound should be designed for the effluent that goes through it with the number of doses to soak into the ground.

We do a lot of seeding on mound systems. Many builders/developers and homeowners have a native grass mix installed over the top. This is fine with all the septic system installers I have talked to. As stated above, it even greatly diminishes the ability for the drain field to freeze in the winter time. The less you travel on them, the better the system works. Compacted soils are your enemy here.

Good Luck!

Ken