• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What would you get?

luv2fish

I am looking for suggestions from this educated group. In the next month or 2, I will be in the market for my first ATV. I am curious what brand and size people recommend. The main use for this wil be ice fishing in the winter. I will be hooking my otter house up to in and pull it from spot to spot. In the summer's I will be doing some easy trail riding at some famliy cabin's and land.

Suggestions? Things I should look for when I buy (I will get a used one)? How much power is enough?

Thanks!

For a first time buyer, I would recommend a Sportsman 500HO, and try to get EFI if you can find one new enough in your price range. Easy operation, one brake lever, AWD, auto. You can't go wrong.

Some will probably suggest a Honda, but if it's not a Rubicon or a Rincon it's not worth it. See if you can test drive some and see for yourself.

I'm sure there will be a lot of different opinions here but here is mine. I have an older polaris 400. I pull a clam voyager on the ice, and do some trail riding. have never even thought I needed more that a 400 for what I do. Plenty of power. and I have been very happy with my machine. Good luck on your future purchase and enjoy it. grin.gif

I also bought my 1st atv in the past year. I did a lot of research, asking around, and shopping between dealers. I ended up buying an 06 Polaris Sportsman 500HO EFI. I am very happy with it so far! I use mine for ice fishing, plowing snow and trail riding. If you are buying new, be sure to talk to as many dealers as you can for quotes on whatever you are looking for. Many dealers will match or beat other dealers' prices.

You'll be able to find alot of used polaris's cheap and there is a reason for that. I would suggest you get a 400 and up for size and would look at Yamaha Kodiak's,Suzuki Eiger's and Vinsons, and Honda Ranchers,Rubicon's or Foremans.Good luck on your search!

Quote:

I am looking for suggestions from this educated group. In the next month or 2, I will be in the market for my first ATV. I am curious what brand and size people recommend. The main use for this wil be ice fishing in the winter. I will be hooking my otter house up to in and pull it from spot to spot. In the summer's I will be doing some easy trail riding at some famliy cabin's and land.

Suggestions? Things I should look for when I buy (I will get a used one)? How much power is enough?

Thanks!

Simple answer 500 Sportsman. Works great for your uses.

DSCN1231.jpg

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

Quote:

You'll be able to find alot of used polaris's cheap and there is a reason for that. I would suggest you get a 400 and up for size and would look at Yamaha Kodiak's,Suzuki Eiger's and Vinsons, and Honda Ranchers,Rubicon's or Foremans.Good luck on your search!

What would that reason be?

I figured since you posted that, that you would have specific reasons to back that up. I have talked to techs that have not given me any reason to not trust Polaris. I'm not trying to start any fights here, just looking for information on these machines like everyone else. Thanks!

Dustin

Polaris has a reputation for being the most intensive when it comes to maintenance. They have made improvements over the years in trying to eliminate the 28 grease zerks, adding EFI, and BNG (Bold New Graphics). The 4-wheel drive system is nice, but one of the issues I had with mine was trying to get it out of 4-wheel after towing something. The procedure can be a pain in the arse (backing up while turning the handle bars side to side). The other brands are either full time 4X (3 1/2 wheel drive with one tire in the air), or flip a switch and your out. As long as all 4 wheels are on the ground and equally hook up, one 4x system will work as good as the next.

For cold weather riding, I would personally stick with either a conventional shift/auto clutch machine or a belt driven auto. The hydraulic trannies in the Rubicon and Rincon will take a little longer to warm up in the winter.

I would also suggest anything in the 350cc range or larger will fit the bill for your needs.

Honda has the reputation of being reliable, but a rough ride (except the Rincon). The Rincon also has EFI and IRS. The Rancher is a 420cc Solid Rear axle machine with EFI and would be a good option also.

Suzuki is a good all-around machine with the Eiger or Vinson, but the King Quad 450 or 700 with IRS, EFI, and a locking front differential would top my list if I were to buy a Suzuki.

Kawasaki offers the Brute Force 650 in either a solid rear axle or IRS (also a 750 IRS) that is comparibly priced with the competitors 500's and comes with a locking front differential that is activated by pulling a lever. Tons of power in the Kawi, but cold blooded.

Yamaha has the Grizzly line. I'm not too familiar with the yamaha products other than you can get a good solid IRS machine with locking front diff and you can include EFI if you go with the 700.

Polaris offers IRS on most of there machines and EFI on everything 500cc and larger. Good work horses, but maintenance is my only beef.

Arctic Cat offers you IRS and basically the same motors as Suzuki (Suzuki is a major share holder in AC). They also have the locking front diff. Biggest complaint about AC is the price for what you get compared to the competition.

Can-Am is the way to go if horsepower is your game. They dominate in horsepower from 400cc and up. 500cc and up you get a V-Twin with EFI. Everything frmo the 400 up also has IRS designed to eliminate tire scrub and provides one ofo the best rides in the industry.

In the event you get one of the comparison DVD's from any manufacturer, throw it away and go spend a day test riding and comparing prices. Some dealers will actually be $7-8 hundred cheaper than the guy down the street. I found this out by bargaining between dealers in Lakeville and St. Boni. It does pay to shop around.

I would never think anything other then a Honda. So you have to let the tranny wram up 5 minutes longer then the rest. They hold their resale and I have never had one break down. I haved owned a 200x, a 200 big red, and still own a 90 and a rubicon 500. I have never replaced one single part. I have never had one single problem. The 90 still starts on the first or second pull. They are the cream of the crop.

Hondas are good and that's about it. You can't comment on the other brands if all you have owned is some old Hondas. I am a Kawi guy myself, but everyone knows that polaris leads all innovation in atv's. Look at them all side by side and then drive them. Your choice would not be a little Rancher, I guarantee that.

I'll say that the Ruby's are nice, but I would never say it is cream of the crop. Unless you just want a little tractor.

Posts like this quickly turn into the Ford Vs.Chevy thing. I believe that all the manufacturers out there produce indestructible machines, and lemons. One guy can by a machine and drive it for ten years without a problem and another guy buys the same machine and has nothing but problems.

I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago, needed a machine primarily for ice fishing but also use it for dear hunting and hauling fire wood out of the forest. So, based on these requirements I ended up buying an Arctic Cat 400. The reason I choose the Cat was both the clearance (best in the industry)for deeper snow, and the 4 wheel independent suspension.

One thing I would recommend however is that you get a winch installed. I have used mine a number of times performing various chores and just two weeks ago needed it to get myself out of a swamp.

Good luck and whatever you buy just make sure to perform the usual maintenance.

I do have specific reasons to back my statement up, but do not want to offend all of the polaris owners out there. I have owned polaris before, and ride with some often. I have yet to take a trip when a polaris or 2 has came with and not witnessed some kind of breakdown. Heck my sister bought a Arctic Cat 400 and went riding with 2 of her friends on polaris sportsman 500's, a few minutes later the one sportsman quit running and would not start so they started towing it with the other sportsman and that one over heated and they ended up just north of my place. They ended up having to use their cell phones to have a truck come and get the wheelers to get them home.That is just one of the many occasions I have personally witnessed a popo break down while out riding.

I have done a ton of trail riding, nearly everytime I have been out somebody has had a problem. It doesn't matter what machine you buy stuff happens. I personally have witnessed problems with every manufacturer but it is also probably more rider abuse than manufacturer defect. With the group I normally ride with I have only seen 1 machine never "break" down, and that was my girlfriends 500 sportsman, and that's probably because she likes to sit back and watch the boys "play".

Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, Can-am, Suzuki, and Kymco it doesn't matter. Test drive what interests you and buy what YOU like, because in the end that's all that matters.

Quote:

I do have specific reasons to back my statement up, but do not want to offend all of the polaris owners out there. I have owned polaris before, and ride with some often. I have yet to take a trip when a polaris or 2 has came with and not witnessed some kind of breakdown. Heck my sister bought a Arctic Cat 400 and went riding with 2 of her friends on polaris sportsman 500's, a few minutes later the one sportsman quit running and would not start so they started towing it with the other sportsman and that one over heated and they ended up just north of my place. They ended up having to use their cell phones to have a truck come and get the wheelers to get them home.That is just one of the many occasions I have personally witnessed a popo break down while out riding.

After years of reading your posts bashing Polaris it's getting old. We all know you don't like them, but there are alot of people who do. You've made your point well known many times and we all understand now!

Quote:

Quote:

After years of reading your posts bashing Polaris it's getting old. We all know you don't like them, but there are alot of people who do. You've made your point well known many times and we all understand now!

Y a just releying the message to those who COULD STILL BE SAVED THE EXPENCE of an infieror product,,lol

I will try to get away from the brand bashing here. I think they all have problems once in a while, all brands have service shops for a reason. When I bought mine I looked around read the reviews and drove a few machines. I ended up with a Polaris Sportsman and have not regreted it for a second. It has done all I have expected and more and is a nice smooth ride. Only problems I have ever had is a flat tire, and I am not blaming that one on Polaris. Good luck with your purchase!

I too am in the market for my first atv. And like fishing rods there are a few that are good but nothing that is good for everything. With that said. Honda's for instance are really good if you are doing heavy work like plowing food plots pulling logs etc... that you need a low gear for. If you want one of the best trail riders go for maybe a Polaris. No matter what you end up with it will not Be #1 in every catogory. It mostly comes down to what you like the feel of and what you will be doing with it. Every brand out there makes a great quad in one area or another. Good luck no matter what you end up it will rock compare the the ATV you have now? I know mine will. I have it down between 3. The honda foreman, suzuki king quad, and the Yamaha big bear. Again 3 quite different quads. Price may become a factor. I have test drove all three and think the King Quad by far had the smothest ride and best handling. However I really like the 5 speeds of the Honda and Yamaha. Enjoy what you end up with!!

If you guys think that I'm brand bashing I'am just telling of the true expierience I've had in the past 18 years of riding atv's. I wish someone would have told me then what I know now.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 Auto and I use it for ice fishing, deer hunting and just riding for the enjoyment. I looked at most all of the brands for about 6 weeks and ended up buying an AC for my own personal reasons. It starts good when it is cold, it is belt driven and it has a wet clutch which I thought was a great feature. I talk to some people that like to bash Arctic Cats and when I ask them why it is because of what Joe Blows second cousin heard from someone. I also own a Mercury Verado and last year all I heard was a bunch of bashing form people that know nothing about them. You just don't know what a Verado is like until you run one. Same thing for Arctic Cat. Look at one and drive it and maybe you will see the things that moved me to buy an AC. They are all good machines and only you know what you want. What deterred me from buying Honda was that the Honda Dealer bad mouthed every brand except Honda and the Polaris dealer did the same with his brand. The Ac dealer said try them all and buy what you prefer. I bought a utility ATV and I don't care about the smoothest ride and the coolest graphics or any o that stuff. I just wanted something that will do the job for me. It does it just fine. As far as AC costing too much?? Not my opinion at all.