• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Enough with the criticizing...

Coach1310

First off, I love this site. All the info, pictures and people make this site great. But it seems no one can post a picture, talk about a day of fishing or explain a technique without getting blasted about each and every thing. Let's keep this site going towards why it was created. Keep sharing your pics and info, but can we just stop the "you shouldn't do that" "why did you do that" " I wish you wouldn't..." etc. etc. I know this is falls right in line with all the other criticizing, but lets stop the insanity. We are turning this site into a butchers block!!!! Good luck all. Have a great weekend chasing the big fish, but don't forget this is a great time of year for those pannies!! laugh.gif

[Note from admin: we support you all the way on this one coach. Bashing simply is not allowed. We will be directing moderators sitewide to simply not allow anything demeaning to another member or business. Those who insist on continuing a demeaning posting pattern will no longer be welcome.]

i'll third that.....some things need to be pointed out but alot of the nitpicking is getting plain old!!! A great picture of a kid with a bass (released) and a big smile and we critisize it for being out of season......hold the fish this way.......you shouldn't keep that size fish.......you shouldn't keep that many fish.........no way was that fish xxx inches or pounds.........Let's remember why we came to this site is for the info and the ability to share our adventures together and help each other out!!!! If you can't say something nice don't say it at all I guess!!! Good Luck this weekend and the rest of the season!!! May your lines be tight and your fish be monsters!!!

What next? You shouldn't use a 3/0 size hook because it does way more jaw damage than a size 1 hook for lip damage...? Should use circle hooks only...?

Never lift big fish out of water...?

I thought fishing was fun, relaxing, challenging,...

I have seen many posts over the years that have suggested different ways to handle fish properly to not hurt them. Many different hooks can also be ultilized to hook the fish with doing next to no harm to thier body.

Many members make suggestions in different ways, not to downgrade you but, to let you know that there are better ways to do things.

My avatar with my sturgeon from last year was held by the gills for its photo before the release. Another member suggested that I hold and support the fish a little better so when I release it, the chance of it living is much better. You will notice in my avatar from this spring that I supported the fish with much more support to help the better release of this sturgeon.

At first I thought that this person wanted to pick on me and he was only trying to help me with a safer way to hold the fish without doing harm.

We are all here to have fun and learn. I do believe that we all can learn new techniques to handle and catch fish, myself included.

I think there is always going to be a fine line between constructive criticism and bashing. Some people feel like they've got nothing better to do than point out all the wrongs committed by others. The staff and moderators do their best to weed out those who only use this site to anonymously be mean and criticize others.

As long as this site is free for everyone and continues to grow there will be problems, but hopefully the positive users and contributors to the quality info here will keep things on the right track.Its good to see a bit of a backlash against those who make this site something htat its not meant to be.

Good luck and keep up the positive attitudes.

I totaly agree with what everyone here is saying. I went fishing with my grandpa and made the mistake of saying we kept a 23 inch eye for a meal. I'll never make that mistake agian. When I go out to fish, I go to keep a meal and then I let everyone know how I did and what I used to catch them. Instead of a positive respones, people critize me for keeping a fish that size. Whatever.

Oh yea, whatever it is, I ________ that!

Wow I'd expect some, "hat's off to you" for my most recent fishing adventure of purchasing a Shimano Stella, but like usual some people just say you don't need that...or whatever implication I read from their posting. I understand that it's the person that does the fish catching and not the equipment. It doesn't hurt to have the assistance of the equipment. I also know that there are several people with much more knowledge of fishing than I do, but there are some who always think they know better than everyone else. I still think the luxury of better equipment is not necessary, but the experience is what fishing is all about. The experience...

Hey bob-- hats off to you... that is one sweet piece of equip for sure!... I think you run into the people who are jealous!... Sure that kind of reel is not needed.. but then again, neither is a $50,000 boat.. To each thier own..

Congrats on the new reel.. enjoy it!

Exactly,when you have better gear your chances are better to catch fish.

A reel with a lousy drag can cost you.

If you reel a lot and the reel moves easy you'll cast more which keeps you in the water more often increasing you odds of running into a fish.

Getting shut down with broken gear bites too.It's almost as bad as leaving your rod at home or forgetting your tacklebox.

Yeah, I learned through experience when I hooked into a few slabs. It's fine when you control the fish. When the fish takes control and your equipment is at the mercy and you back reel and all just trying to guide the fish from running into some snaffu. After a few lost fish, line breaks, silk coccons that required line stripping, and gradual upgrade into better equipment, I can finally appreciate the reduction of stress anytime I fish. I reel a lot with artificials and avoiding snaffu's makes my fishing more enjoyable. I sure get frustrated forgetting the landing net...there's always that one fish that breaks line just when it would've been landed with a landing net. Just the same as dropping that crappie back in the ice fishing hole. grrr....

Quote:

A Stella? ooooooo *drool* I'm jealous now! haha
tongue.gif
Thats a freakin nice reel. Can you do us all a favor? When its time for your last cast of the day, do it for us FM folks. Thanks! ahhah

will do...but I'm still waiting for my calcutta rod to be delivered.