• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Boat Cover Question

Duffman

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and order a boat cover. One final question; the motor hood part of the cover-should I get it attached or seperate from the main cover??? Reasons? Thanks!

I just bought a boat and was told to never trailer my boat or store with the cover on the motor becasue fumes from the motor can build up under the cover and possibly be a hazard. I hadn't heard that theory before, but if it's true then I would think you would want it detached. Hopefully, someone can someone can provide more insight on the motor cover theory.

mullet's reasonsing here makes sense, but on the other hand I've never heard of that happening... sounds like something for Mythbusters to check out grin.gif

If I wanted my motor covered I'd have it made as part of the boat cover. In my opinion the motor cover fits tighter and snugger and doesn't flap around as much as a motor cover by itself.

marine_man

I agree with Marine_Man. I too would have the cover made with the motor cover as part of it. Better over all protection. I wouldn't be concerned about the motor being the source of fumes. There are plenty of other things inside the boat that could be the source of fumes such as any gas tanks, batteries and to my knowledge this has not been much of a problem. Just don't stick your head with a lit cig inside before rolling the cover back!

If you are getting a custom cover made for your boat, you can actually get a better fit by having separate covers made for the boat and the motor. Also, if you ever replace the motor, you can just have another motor cover made if the old one doesn't fit real well, rather than having a complete cover made. I know of a couple of guys with newer boats who aren't using motor covers at all. If you store the boat indoors, there really isn't much need for a motor cover. If you leave it outside a lot, you may want to protect the paint from fading.

Quote:

I just bought a boat and was told to never trailer my boat or store with the cover on the motor becasue fumes from the motor can build up under the cover and possibly be a hazard. I hadn't heard that theory before, but if it's true then I would think you would want it detached. Hopefully, someone can someone can provide more insight on the motor cover theory.

It has to be a myth otherwise all the shrink wrapped boats sitting on dealers lots would be blowing up, starting on fire ect.

I have a cover for my boat, seperate cover for my big motor, seperate cover for my kicker. It's a Ranger cover and they more of less have a reputation for the best covers on the market. I like it a lot. I don't always use the motor covers.