• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

most dangerous catch

LOTWSvirgin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Hooked on Deadliest Catch last year, too. It used to be on Tues nights at 8:00 on Discovery, I think. They also would play the previous weeks episode at 7:00 typically. If it's in HD it might be played on DicoveryHD if you are set up for it. I only hope the Cornelia Marie has a little better luck this year, but the breakdowns and such make for good TV.

Yeah, typically what happens is they show the new episode on Discovery or TLC and then a week or so later the HD version shows on Discovery HD. All those American Chopper, etc. shows moved to TLC but they still show the HD version on Discovery HD later. Can't wait to watch this in HD too.

JLT...I'll second the motion on the UFC...gotta get some new stuff goin on, it's getting like Pride!

How Pride can retain any kind of viewership when they keep showing the same shows from 2001, week in, week out, is beyond me?

Same with K-1, I've seen the Sapp and Ernesto Hoose (sp)thing about 81 times! Maybe I'm the only viewer? grin.gif

Unless they start injecting some new material into the programs, I believe that those Fight League programs are gonna run em off the charts?

I thought Pride was where the guys went that couldn't get it done in the UFC? Just kidding, they have some really good fighers, it should be interesting.

That fight league stuff is still gonna be a force to be reckoned with though.

Oh, Oh? This is about something else...I'm afraid I've morphed the subject away from crab fishing...."Yeah, how's about them crabs....think any of them would make it in the UFC? :-)

LOT...I don't quite follow you? You surely didn't take my post as sarcasm? I broke off from the intended subject matter and brought it back around?

I read your post a couple more times and I'm still not gettin it?

You missed a good one! I'm sure you'll get to see a rerun at some time? One ship already down, and so far only one surivor! Did anyone see the "Best of" before the new show? 30-40' swells and then the footage of the 60-80' swells! 100 mph gusts! WOW! Talk about a walleye chop!

Those crabbers are something! We'er talking about the tough 4-5 foot waves we have been in and then you watch something like that!

No thanks, I'd pick schmidt with the chickens before I would go on one of those carb boats! Those guys (And gals, I seen one female deck hand on one of those eposoides) have to have alot of grit do what they do!

I guess they make some long green for the short time they are out, but one wrong move by them, or their fellow workers, or just a touch of bad luck, and they wouldn't be alive to spend it!

I wonder if that guy from "Dirty Jobs" has ever been a hand on one of those crab boats?

I was watching the recap of season 2, and some of the deck hands on the smaller boats only pulled in about 12,000, where the most on the bigger boats it was about 49,000. Good for the good ships, but by no means a "sit the rest of the year" type of a job if you are on a smaller boat.

The host of Dirty Jobs was doing the season 2 recap and interviewing some of the guys, and was on one of the boats for a cruise, but not much else. The thing that gets me is the fact that the camera guys are running around in the same weather the deckhands are and up on some rigging to get footage, and nothing is talked about there. I'd bet they are getting more than 12,000/year for their efforts!

$12,000.00 per year? I think those boats go out quite often for different stuff...Cod etc.?

Who the he11 would do that kind of work for $12,000 a year? One would have to desperately need money, or would have to be some kind of adrenlin junkie!

What the hey would a person do for excitment after something like that? The scariest amusement park ride anywhere in the world would pale by comparison!

I would think it would be more like $120,000 a year, or at least $12,000.00 per quarter for the deck hands on an average, or small catch, going out multiple times?

They are out something like a week, or two weeks at a pop and make a big chunk of change if the catch is good. Thats what I've gathered from the times I've watched it, which is once in awhile, not every episode.

I reread the post and it was 12k a trip! Whew!!! Thats more like it, but I didn't think it was that much, I thought it was something like $4,000-$8,000 for a small to average catch?

Man, 12 G's in that short period of time might temp someone to get crazy and give it a shot?

the pay is based on how good the catch was for the season and each hand get a certain percentage depending on how long he has been with the ship...but the hands don't get their pay until all ship expense are paid..so basically the hands pay comes from the net and not the gross of the catch. I was going to do this after high school, which is 15 years ago so somethings might have changed but i changed my mind after seeing a video and the statistics for greenhorns life expectancy

Well, Blake's nailing 'em. Will it keep up? I see him having a meltdown if it doesn't. Good to see a lady on deck, too. If she can do it, how tough can it be? wink.gifcrazy.gif Like I have a chance. grin.gif