• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waxing your boat?

Scott K

I havent ever waxed my boat, its getting to be a few years old now and it isnt as pretty as it once was. Will car wax work ok, or will the fish sense that, or should I just go buy boat wax? Or should I just not worry about it because it should be in the water and not noticed anyway? Its a alumacraft factory painted boat.

You can wax your boat to protect the finish on it. I've used just a car spray wax for that since other waxes have a tendency to leave white residue in creases and along the edges of decals, etc. As for fish sensing the wax coat......I wouldn't worry about that. I have an Alumacraft also.

I have waxed boats all the time. Fish are not going to fly away becuase of wax. I read on here the other day that people are going to stop buying boats with white hulls becuase the fish will swim away from them from the glare. I dont understand where people are getting this information from. They must be trying to start something weird i guess, cuase that is crazy.

I dont have a glass boat anymore,but when I did and it lost its luster I'd use a fine rubbing compound then wax,brought that luster back!Yah you have to detail it but in spring gettin ready no problem for me anyway!

White hulls scaring fish. Huh. Rumors crazy.gif I posted a topic about a year ago asking about the color of the bottom of a boat and I bought a small boat with a white bottom because of the responses from the posts and I thought it would be like the belly of a fish. Looking up hard to see. Most saltwater boats are white. I think some of that has to do with how hot it is down there though. I heard that you can put liquid teflon on it. Don't know much about it but heard it works well. For the bottom only.

Quote:

I read on here the other day that people are going to stop buying boats with white hulls becuase the fish will swim away from them from the glare. I dont understand where people are getting this information from.

Ya old P.T. Barnum and his famous "there is a sucker born every minute" quote would have loved all us hunting/fishing types wouldn't he???