• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some Florida wildlife

Haven't posted much lately, been busy with other photo shoots. I was in Florida last week for spring training but managed a few wildlife shots while I was there. All shot with the 300/2.8 IS most with a 1.4 TC attatched. I am sorry I don't have the specifics on most of the shots, I just haven't had the time to look. I have over 4,000 baseball shots to go through yet!

All shots were handheld, at ISO 400 unless noted.

#1 A flower or two 1/1000"

F Number = F5.6

Exposure Program = Manual

ISO Speed Ratings = 200

137720573-L.jpg

#2 1/400"

F Number = F10

Exposure Program = Aperture priority

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

138084750-L.jpg

#3 1/1600"

F Number = F10

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

138083658-L.jpg

#4 A few birds. 1/200"

F Number = F7.1

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

137720669-L.jpg

#5 1/2000"

F Number = F6.3

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

138081533-L.jpg

#6 1/640"

F Number = F7.1

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

137724694-L.jpg

#7 1/200"

F Number = F7.1

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

137720956-L.jpg

#8 And a couple of reptiles. 1/250"

F Number = F7.1

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

137721473-L.jpg

#9 My favorite shot. 1/400"

F Number = F7.1

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

137721264-L.jpg

Dan, you bugger! Ahhh, the life of a pilot. Jetting all over the country to deliver exotic pictures to those of us drooling over the coming of spring.

I sure like the second heron shot and the hawk, but your are dead on. That last snake image is priceless. Looks like he is measuring you to see if you'll fit down his throat! And the scale is great. Because those tiny floating plants could be mistaken for standard-sized lily pads, it makes the snake look like a 100 foot anaconda that eats pilot-photographers for lunch. grin.gif

And I'm not being critical in any way, but you could actually heighten that effect by cropping down from the top on the snake image to remove the bigger vegetation, so the only things with scale in the image would be the tiny pads and the BIGGGGG SNAAAAAKE. grin.gif

Thanks for making my day. Very nice work.

Thanks Pike Bay, that is a red-shouldered hawk. I should have identified all of them, I will edit tomorrow and put names on them.

Thanks Steve for the comments, you are right on about the snake I think that crop would work, I never even considered that. I will post a crop tomorrow as you suggested, oh and if any one wants to C & C feel free to do so.

Swimmer, make sure you check out the Corkscrew Swamp, just to the northeast of Naples, many of these were taken there. You will not regret the probably 25 min. drive and $10 fee.

Great shots DBL. I told the wife that I would go to Florida for a winter vacation and with that type of scenery it should be great. The place that we would go to is by Sanibel Island which is suppose to have a great wildlife reserve.

Quote:

Great shots DBL! I'm starting to see some of those species back in the Duluth area. Gotta love spring.

They have gators there now? grin.gif Those are some fantastic shots, DBL. However, are you sure that was only 4oo mm lens for the gator and snake shots? shocked.gif

Quote:

Great shots DBL. I told the wife that I would go to Florida for a winter vacation and with that type of scenery it should be great. The place that we would go to is by Sanibel Island which is suppose to have a great wildlife reserve.

A few of these shots are from that place, its called the Ding Darling Refuge located on Sanibel. I think it was $5 per car. Thanks for the comments, and MM that lens is truly something to behold.

X-tackleman it was a 300 with a 1.4 teleconverter attached making it a 420mm plus add in the 1.6 crop factor of a 20D and you have a 672mm, I think I did all the math correctly on that! I was about 15 feet away from the snake and about 25 or 30 feet from the gator.