• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin ATV Trails

Augusta

Can anyone recommend some good ATV trails in Western/Northwestern Wisc. I am looking for trails that offer scenic views, camping, and miles of trails. We are not "mudders", just looking for nice trails to ride as a family. Thanks

Each county has their own trail maps, and atv clubs have their own also,what expirience level of riding are you looking for? Are you looking for old rail road track beds, like driving down gravel roads- very easy- begginer. Looking for long rides? Short rides? Some mud? No mud? Advanced riding? How far are you willing to drive? Give me some details I will put you in the right spots!

We are a family of ATV'ers. We typically just ride the old railroad bed trails, we don't do the "off road" thing. Does the Gandy Dancer Trail take you into Superior Wisc? Can a person get to Lake Superior just by riding the trail? We are looking for trails that have bridges, scenic views, that sort of thing. Thanks

There is a nice trail that would fit you good, start off in spooner, go north, you can ride the trail all day, its got good scenery, crosses the namakagon river, some nice stops on the way, minong is a couple hours ride, nice stop to stop with kids, good food, game room, miniture golf. You can ride this trail all day long, and spooner has some fun things to do with kids also, old fashion train rides, go cart tracks, ect. You can pick up a trail map in spooner at the washburn county info building and unload wheelers right there! Trails can get dusty if it hasnt rained in the last few days prior, come prepaired!

http://turfandtundra.org/2006map.pdf

Danbury is very family friendly. Trails are marked very well. Very scenic. Plenty of places to eat, drink and get fuel. It is my favorite place to ride with the family. I have a 10 y.o. the follows along on his 90cc Arctic Cat just fine. The trails are groomed all summer long. Its like driving down a road through the woods. Just go Hinckley on I-35. Go right about 20 miles till you get to Danbury. Trailhead is on the left just before town. You can get maps at the gas station on the corner. There is NO ditch riding in WI so make sure you stay on the trail. First 1/2 mile you kind of wind around town alittle till you get to the trail. Trailhead is actually located right on the Gandy Dancer.

If you leave the trailhead and go straight N. (about 1/2 mile) you cross over the St. Croix river back into MN. Once you cross the river, you are St. Croix State Park. Mn side of the river is a little rockier. The Gandy Dancer trail will take you all the way to Superior. About half way to Superior is the Nemaji State Forest. Another great family friendly trail sytem. If you travel the Gandy Dancer you might want to bring extra gas. Not alot of places to gas up on MN side. Check with both MN DNR and WI DNR for additional maps and trail closings. Danbury is located in Burnett county. Have fun.

Can a person start riding the Gandy Dancer at St. Croix Falls? By the way, thanks for all the info, I really do appreciate it. Does anyone know if a person can ride right up to Lake Superior using the Gandy Dancer?

Other options: Black River Falls area has trails, not sure how much mileage. Rock Dam area north of Augusta has tons of trails plus camping, food, beer, and a lake for swimming and fishing.

There are also some very nice trail systems in Sawyer and Rusk counties. The Rusk county trail system does have remote camping sites too. My kids and I ride there all the time as we have a cabin outside of Birchwood.

The Gandy Dancer Summer use trails will not get you to Lake Superior. Last summer we rode From Pierz, MN all the way to Bayfield, WI. Definetly bring extra gas if traveling on the Gandy Dancer. The trails through Danbury can be a little hard to find in town. Once out of town they were fine. All of the main trails are relatively easy riding. Let me know if you want more information. I found some of the clubs/locals are somewhat reluctant to share trail information with outsiders.

Is there any trail that connects to the Gandy or Soo Line that will get you to Lake Superior? We rode the Soo Line last year and believe it or not, it stops about 3 miles from Superior...My daughter wants to ride her ATV to Lake Superior.....

Yes there is a way to get to Lake Superior from MN. It's a rather round about way of getting there though. Take the Gandy in Minesota south to Danbury. from Danbury head north on trail 45 into douglas county, there you can get on the Wild Rivers trail heading north near Solon Springs. There are some road routes near the town of Poplar that will connect you to the Tri-County Corridor. Head east on the corridor to Iron River. From there take any of the trails heading north, most all will get you to Lake Superior one way or another. The town of Herbster is where we stopped at the lake. The trails around Iron River are nice trails winding through the woods and hills. We found the trails from Danbury to Solon Springs a little hard to navigate, but it was raining at the time. On the way home we took a different route that had us ride about 2 miles of road shoulder. Saved about 3 hours of time. I would definetly get a hold of current ATV trail maps as the trails do change some from year to year. Let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help, I know the struggle I went through about this same time last year trying to find trails and legal routes.

Wow Shoot, thanks for all the info. I finally got frustrated enough that I bought a subscription to TrailsSource, I see some of the trails that you mention. Once again, thanks a heap for your help!! smile.gifsmile.gif

No problem, let me know how the trip goes. Contact each individual counties chamber of comerce or tourism division, and they will send you trail maps for free. I think I have 7-8 different ATV maps of NW Wisconsin. Good luck.

i'm planning on heading up to the nemadji forest this weekend.

are the trails there able to be ridden by a 13 yr old on a 90cc atv?

also is there a bridge connecting nemadji to the WI side and if so what is needed once you cross over?

any tips on lodging in the area?

This is right from the MN DNR regs: Persons under 16 years of age must successfully complete both the ATV safety training independent study course and the riding component before operating an ATV on public lands.

Exception: Persons age 10 or 11 may operate an ATV up to 90cc on public lands or frozen waters if accompanied by parent or legal guardian.

As far as a bridge into WI, I don't think you need one, just get on the Gandy Dancer Trail from Nemadji and head on over. You will need a non resident trail pass if your machines are not licensed over in WI.