• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the canoes?

I have been looking for a used canoe. What style aluminum, or fiberglass? I havent had any luck finding many used ones out there, any sugguestions on where to look? I dont get the chance to go very often, so I dont need a top of the line, thanks for any opinions!

Hang out on FM. I'm sure you'll find one. Unfortunatly canoes rarely go up for sale if they are in good condition. They are out there and you may have to look hard to find them.

It sounds like you're looking for more of an entry level craft and thats great. You can find a boat like that for anywhere form $50-200 depending on condition. Of course you should get the best one you can afford. SOunds like you're looking for something like an Old Town or Mad River.

If your price range is a little higher or you're looking for a something lighter and mroe manueverable lots of outfitters sell used boats form their operations as they replace them. Great deals are to be had that way.

Thats sounds to be about the price range I am looking for, it will be left at my cabin year around, wouldnt be in it much so I wouldnt want to pay to much more then that.

For the purpose you want, simply tell your friends, neighbors, church, bar, whereever you hang out. Then look in the weekly 'Shopper' in your area & wait for the right deal to come downstream.

Somefolks will doubtless decide that this is the year to sell the canoe out back & you will be ready to go get it. I have bought some canoes in the past that way & if you dont have to have it NOW then you generaly get a great deal & the seller gets some space back in their yard, barn, garage...

Good hunting.

We have a local radio show "Swap Shop" on everyday. I decided there were probably several canoes around that just weren't getting used. As I picked up the phone to call in and say "If anyone has a canoe laying around..." As I touched the receiver, a caller on the radio stated they had a canoe for sale! I dialed their number instead of the radio station, and scored a nice 17ft Grumman. It has served us very well the last 10 years....and has begun the trek down the Mississippi....47 miles down - 2502 to go!

I found it to be tough last year looking for a canoe, also. They are not posted online or in the papers as much as boats are, so you might have to do some advertising yourself. Just like Ghoiterman said. I stumbled across a very old flat back this winter that someone had not used in years. Let's just say that I got a great deal!!! Look hard enough, and you'll find one.

Another place to check is paddling . net. There are quite a few boats on the classified page. Most are probably a little more than what your looking for, but if you check back often enough, you should be able to find something to your liking.

Dude, I've bought 3 canoes in my life so far, for $150, $300, and $0. All are very servicable and great boats. There are TONS of used canoes out there. Look around. Classified ads, hsolist, THIS SITE, and bait shops.

I know mine finally came out from under 2 feet of snow this week and for most people this is when they start thinking about whether or not it will get used this year. If they want to move it you start to see them by April. Open water and psring cleaining gets folks motivated.

I have probably bought and sold 20-30 canoes in the last 2 years. easiest way i find them?

our state [iowa] uses large registration stickers on boats/canoes. every licensing period has a different color for the sticker.

i've recorded all the colors and which years each color represents.

then i drive the alleys of nearby towns and when i spot a canoe in someone's yard,or hanging on the back of the garage,if it has,say,a yellow sticker, i'll know it hasn't been licensed or used since 1987. then i knock on the door,and the rest is easy. some are $50,$100, some are free!

last year i got 2 18' alumacrafts for free. one was a 1992 model squareback! all the people were glad to get rid of them. Happy Hunting!

Midwest Mountaineering has a canoe auction at their Outdoor Expo. The auction is on 4/28 from 11:00am to early afternoon. This is a great place to pick up a used kayak or canoe.

Midwest Moutaineering is in Minneapolis.