• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muds Comming Boys

swedishpimple

I hear you, unfortunately I'd have to dig mine out of the shed that is currently burried in a snow drift. The next week's forcast does sound positive though.

Bob

At the risk of sounding like an azz, I must say that I hope any "mud" you plan on tearing thru with your wheelers is on your own private property and not state or county or other private land. When folks seek out mud and tear up the trails it makes landowners very angry and usually results in closed trails.

Well put WJ. All too often we see people using road ditches, state lands, or someone else's property as their mudding ventures. Let's all remember why many counties have closed their dithces to ATV traffic.

Here around Le Sueur, we have an individual who has been tearing up the hillsides along HWY 169, including the slopes on the off-ramps which is illegal. I suspect this is an individual that I have talked to in the past for riding in the ditches during the closed time period in the summer.

He just might get himself another visit someday.

From the DNR HSOforum: I don't think this is limited to public land either.

A person driving an OHV in a wetland must not operate the vehicle in a way

that:

• Willfully, wantonly, or recklessly disregards the safety of people or property;

• Carelessly upsets the natural and ecological balance of a wetland; or

• Impacts more than the minimum amount of wetlands as allowed by law,

which is approximately 400 square feet of a wetland (more or less, but

varies by location and size of the wetland).

Quote:

At the risk of sounding like an azz, I must say that I hope any "mud" you plan on tearing thru with your wheelers is on your own private property and not state or county or other private land. When folks seek out mud and tear up the trails it makes landowners very angry and usually results in closed trails.

Good points. There is a time and a PLACE for mudding, it's called your own property. Don't get me wrong I love to get a little dirty but not at the risk of closed trails and unhappy property owners.

I find the best "MUD" is usually on AG Land. Wetlands are a "no-no", but if it is wrong to rip it up on an unplowed,unplanted, sloppy, muddy, field or field-ditch, then I don't want to be right. I know an ATV can not scar Mother Earth more than a big old John Deere Tri-tireed tractor pulling a mile long 20" plow.

Hell even pasture land is fun, and the cows leave some interesting obstacles to navigate around.

If you guys have not tried this you should.....Hill Climbing on about 6"-10" of wet sloppy snow over frozen ground. Very hard to damage any vegatation and tons of fun. If you are a flat lander....with no hills, just go ripping through some snow that is way to deep to normally consider riding through in the winter. When she gets sticky it is fun to try to make it through.

Best thing is, you stay clean.

Quote:

Make sure you dont rob any banks do any drugs or anything else that is not legal....DUH!!!..Im just so sick of people jumping on others on this site.

Yea it's so horrible for sportsmen to educate and police their own.

It's important that we police ourselves and each other so the police don't have to police us and each other.

It's the acts of irresponsabile riders that have caused the "Ban ATV's Everywhere" hub-bub.

A simple reminder from time to time is painless.

Quote:

A simple reminder from time to time is painless.

Yes very true. Its just the fact that 4 of the first 6

replys are the same....I know what you guys are saying. No one wants to lose ANY trails.And franky I agree with you but just the same, seems like everyone is so quick to judge others. If they are so concerned why not start their own thread?

People were quick to jump on this thread because not enough info was offered to let the readers know where exactly the riding was taking place. Then a return comment by the original poster about hill climbing in 6+ inches of snow on frozen ground. There's a claim that minimal impact on the vegetation and soil occurs during this riding activity which I will adamently dispute. Again, not enough info was given as to where the posters riding takes place. But keep in mind that any spinning of tires or tracks (snowmobiles), even on frozen ground will have effects in the spring time as it creates channels for the water to follow when the snow melts. The fact that any above ground vegetation has been detached from the root base will also promote erosion. As I'm sure most or all of you know, moving water does not freeze. This running water will eventually thaw, and erode the top soil in the areas created by the tracks of any motor vehicle, not just ATV's and snowmobiles.

In closing, I just want to say that we all could use better discretion when riding and while policing ourselves to make sure we all can enjoy the oppurtunities to ride in MN. But let's not start a B**ch session here because someone called out the originator of this thread.

Lets keep in mind that riding ATV's in MN is a privilege, not a right, and that privilege can be taken away as we already know.

I don't think anyone here has an issue with certain riding behaviors on private land or where it's otherwise legal, as long as it's out of the public's eye. The problem most of us have is when this takes place where everyone and their brother can see it.

I ride, and I'm also a DNR ATV Safety Instructor. Personally I don't want some (Contact Us Please) ruining my riding oppurtunities. Now, if Swedishpimple rides in this manner where it's legal i.e. in the Iron Range by Biwabik or on his own property where no one can see his tracks, then more power to him and I personally apologize if he took any of my comments the wrong way. Anyone who posted here in regards to his intial post wasn't trying to rip on him. They're more concerned where his riding is taking place.

I don't take offense to being reminded of the rules and courtesy. Both of which there seems to be an attitude of non-compliance these days. I appreciate the concern and say keep it coming.

Bob

the term tread lightly comes to mind here. we all need to have common sense here. riping up ditches in the spring when everything is soft and wet is a very bad idea. it just shows the people that don't ride the uglyness (is this a word) the sport can cause. and gives us all a bad image. wait till the ditches are dry, and do the mudding in areas that its allowed.

"I find the best "MUD" is usually on AG Land. Wetlands are a "no-no", but if it is wrong to rip it up on an unplowed,unplanted, sloppy, muddy, field or field-ditch, then I don't want to be right. I know an ATV can not scar Mother Earth more than a big old John Deere Tri-tireed tractor pulling a mile long 20" plow.

Hell even pasture land is fun, and the cows leave some interesting obstacles to navigate around. "

swedish pimple,

i hope the ag land and pasture land you are tearing up is your own. farmers do not like having their fields and pastures torn up nor their livestock harrassed by marauding wheelers.

and as a matter of fact an atv can do considerably more damage to ag land than a john deere tractor pulling a plow. it ruts up the fields and rips through topsoli very easily.

heck most farmers i know dont even like us driving in their harvested fields to bring duck and goose decoys out on the fall because it compacts the soil.

maybe if the day comes you make your living off that land you'll have a tad more respect for it.

Hey guys...since we can't ride on trails cuz they are either too muddy or paved, we can't ride on fields in Northwestern MN cuz the 20' of topsoil may get an 8" rut in it or we me disrupt a cow somewhere on the 2000 acres of wooded pasture we ride on.....maybe we can get our electric golf carts out and cruise around in the burbs.

If I am on AG land it is either mine...or my friends and we give ourselves permisson. The cows don't care.....we can't get them out of the brush. I do not ride in the Southeast, Southwest, Central or Western part of the state. I ride in the North Central or Northwest part of MN. We grow jackpines and brush. If we stray to "muddy fields" we have permission, study up on your Glacial Geology for Northwestern MN. The topsoil is thick very thick...it will be just fine.

We are not damaging crops, damaging public land, damaging somebody else's land, or creating erosion problems. We ride within the law.....so don't ride me so hard for having some fun.

If you are so worried about ruts and damage to the land you should come up here and see what loggers do. Most don't complain too much beause the loggers created most of the trails in the forested part of the state. They also need to make a buck.

This use to be a fun site, but everyone is so quick to judge everyone. Minnesota is a big diverse state. We all do things differently in different parts of the state. So I take everything with a grain of salt. If you ride with in the law and pay attention to damage then everyhting should be fine.

It wasn't a simple reminder. People seem to love to jump to conclusions and assume that since this guy likes to ride in the mud he must be wrecking something.

How about giving someone the benefit of the doubt now and again?

Swedishpimple,

No body knew where your riding was taking place, hence the questions or comments regarding this.

There's no doubt this is one of the best sites on the web for information for a wide range of outdoor activities and we all need to keep in mind this is the web. I think all of us are guilty at some point of creating an initial post without all of the information to clarify our intended message. I will be the first to admit that.

I would like to say "Thanks" for adding a post as to where you do ride.

i'm sorry for offending your sensibilities. just was hard to decipher from this:

"I find the best "MUD" is usually on AG Land. Wetlands are a "no-no", but if it is wrong to rip it up on an unplowed,unplanted, sloppy, muddy, field or field-ditch, then I don't want to be right. I know an ATV can not scar Mother Earth more than a big old John Deere Tri-tireed tractor pulling a mile long 20" plow.

Hell even pasture land is fun, and the cows leave some interesting obstacles to navigate around. "

that you were riding on your family's land. having family that farms you wouldnt have been the first i've encountered who thinks there should be no problem with tearing up a field in the spring "cause its not planted or anything and hte tractor will do worse". simply wanted to point out thats not the case. even if nothings planted damage can be done. and also that an atv in a muddy field does a lot more tearing up of the land than a tractor.