• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No more plate races

harvey lee

Its time that NASCAR ends the crash fests before someone really gets hurt. All these plate races are is wait until the last 10 and see who survives the big ones. All luck.

Looks like Jr made his bad moves to the top and faded like he usually does towards the end of the race. No one will draft with him and all he does is goes back. If he would have stayed in line ha may have gotten a top three.

I'll second that. To not throw the caution when you have a guy on his roof - on fire, and tons of other spinouts was pretty bad. I thought they had the safety of the drivers in mind...at least that's what they say. As long as it was a green flag, no one was going to let up off the gas, and it got ugly today. But, then again, Mr. France is getting more of the press coverage that he so desperately wanted. Otherwise, a pretty decent race. No fantom cautions for debris on the track, anyway. crazy.gif

Harvey, I 100% agree with you on the stupid plate races that CASHCAR has these days, I would personally like to take Baby France for a spin in the country sometime!!! grin.gif In my opinion, Brian and his puppets up in the Big Office have ruined NASCAR for me and many fans out there, I guess money has really talked this year for those guys!!! confused.gif

Perchjr

So get rid of the Daytona 500? The "Super Bowl" of NASCAR? A tradition in itself?

Okay, but then replace it with what?

NASCAR like any other sport needs a "Super Bowl" type event. I guess if the plate races were thrown out the door, including Daytona, then I'd favor the Brickyard as being the "Super Bowl" race.

First off Daytona 500 is just plain and simple OVERRATED.

Should be called the "Stupid Bowl". I know,I know, the drivers well, maybe most of them think its their crown jewel in their sport. And if fact I think it was.....Till the plate. Now its just a high speed chess match.(with lots of torn up cars) And don't even get me started on the %$#@ing lucky dog.......

Free laps! get your free laps here!

I know that this will really start it but, maybe they need to make some changes so its not one big group racing and waiting for one mistake to ruin the day of half the field.

Maybe a smaller engine package and NO plates and let them really race. Then they can still race without the fear of dying. At this pace with the whole group at 185, someone is going to get hurt and bad because NASCAR has to make them all exactly equal.

I hate the races with all the big crashes and the damage that doesnt need to happen. When I am at the races watching my son, the last thing I want to see is a crash that didnt need to happen. Why put a person in harms way any more than need be and those accidents cost more than you can believe. For me, they are not fun to watch.

Yawn, how many lead changes(not because of a caution) in that race? I would guess about 4 or 5. Not that it makes or breaks a race but if you need six cars behind you just to get around the leader something needs to change...They could just build a giant blender that holds 43 cars.(the one that looks the best at the end wins) If that's what people want to see. I would like to see a race. I just as well could have turned on the race with 30 laps to go.

Like somebody said, there were no phanton cautions for "debris." They didn't need one yesterday, the drivers took care of that. However, I think the green, white, checker rule is ridiculous. That just gaurantees a wreck and works to the advantage of someone who doesn't deserve to win (i.e. Harvick). It's getting hard to watch NASCAR.

I like'm. They are the wildcard races where anything can happen and I like watching the chessmatch during the race of trying to find the way to the front and stay there. Some don't see the forest for the trees and just see a pack of cars going around in circles, but there is a lot more going on if you pay attention.

If the teams didn't like the plate races or were afraid of someone getting hurt, I doubt we'd see over 60 teams attempt to qualify last week, but the fact is that they showed up as usual. They just seem to take it in stride anymore and it's not that big of deal.

If you want to fix something get Goodyear to quit monkeying around with tire compounds which magnify the handling issues at Daytona. What in the world were they thinking bringing a HARDER right side tire???? confused.gif

I can see the forest through the trees and I do pay attention. Many teams do try to make this race as it is labeled the super bowl of racing. My point is that you can do all you can do to set yourself for the final run and then one guy makes one questionable move and you wipe out 20 cars. That a demo derby at best. Many drivers do not care for the plate tracks but are forced to race them as they cannot afford to miss the race for points or sponsors.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but why have a race where the track conditions are guaranteed to change in the middle of a race? A 3 o'clock eastern start time guarantees a finish in the dark. I'm far from an expert, but this could also be a late race wreck factor.

DD

Quote:

If you want to fix something get Goodyear to quit monkeying around with tire compounds which magnify the handling issues at Daytona. What in the world were they thinking bringing a HARDER right side tire????

I'm with you there! I just can't believe NASCAR allows Goodyear to continue to bring such a bad product to the races. Must be money changing hands in that deal...IMO Goodyear=junk tire.

I think it was humorous how after every plate race you could count on hearing Mark Martin whine and complain about how bad the racing is "but the fans like it". Now he almost wins one and he's pleased as punch. Funny how his attitude changes....

Where I lost most of the respect I had for him was when he said after the first retirement year after 'Dega "I'm glad I'll never have to do that again, that isn't racing", and what is the first track he goes to after he "retires"? A plate race.

The man is a great racer but for me he has no credibility left.

I cannot speak for him but I do know I am not in his shoes. He may have planned on retiring and then someone hung the big carrot out there. We cannot say what we might do when a large offer came our way.

I guess the reason he went to a plate track first is because that is the first one on the list for the year.

Quote:

Where I lost most of the respect I had for him was when he said after the first retirement year after 'Dega "I'm glad I'll never have to do that again, that isn't racing", and what is the first track he goes to after he "retires"? A plate race.

The man is a great racer but for me he has no credibility left.

You have to be kidding me....sorry but thats crazy IMO.