• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkey with a bow.

harvey lee

So, who drew a tag for this spring and is going to be challenged by hunting with a bow?

I have hunted turkeys five different years and have been fortunate enough to harvest four by shotgun and one with my bow. I was drawn this year and cannot decide if it will be with gun or bow. Without a doubt, the bow would be a greater challenge.

I drew a WI tag, Zone 19 and the May 9-13th season. My brother has a friend who lives south of Baldwin, WI and has 40 acres. I guess there's an apple orchard and field on his property. From the sounds of things, turkeys are a normal sight on/around his property. I've only hunted them one other time and that was with a shotgun in Iowa. I'm hoping to watch the area on the first morning, hoping to see some birds working the field, then set my blind up there during mid-day/afternoon, when they're hopefully off the field. Does this sound like a good strategy? I'm practicing my calling and have a jake and hen decoy I'm planning on using.

Brian

I am dealing with the same issue. I have a first season MN tag this year. I have 5 turkeys under my belt with a shotgun, but zero with a bow.

Two years ago I tried with a bow, but after the third day of hunting (and no bird), I switched to shotgun for the 4th and last day of my hunt. Basically my desire for a bird was greater than my commitment to hunt with a bow.

This year I plan to try with the bow again, my advise is to leave the gun at home to avoid that option all together. I would love to get a bird this year, but at some point I need to take that next step and get one with the bow. Good luck to you in your decision and hunt.

i don't turkey hunt, but a buddy has been successful bowhunting them for a number of years. he does his scouting and sets up a portable blind. he says although deer may be spooky around them, the turkeys don't seem to mind at all. just a tip!

I'm having a hard time deciding on this issue as well. Can you have a shotgun and a bow in the blind? In the 4 years I've hunted with a shotgun I've taken a Tom every year. So I'm thinking it's time for the challenge. The one thing holding me back is I hear they are pretty difficult to kill with a bow. I will probably make the final decision after I get a chance to scout and see how many turkeys are in the area.

The only way to harvest a turkey with a bow is to make a decision on the bow and leave the gun at home. You have to realize that you may go without a bird but, you will be thankfull that you did when you finally harvest one by means of archery. I would say its three times the thrill over getting a deer with a bow and the challenge is also greater.

I use a Double Bull blind while turkey hunting and it helps alot.

Once you make the decision to use a bow stick with it. Last year I brought a shotgun with to Wisconsin and luckily a friend didn't practice enough with his bow before season and was smart enough to realize that and used my shotgun. I used my bow the entire trip and got a 25+# bird with a 10 1/2 beard at ten yards in the last hour of the season. I know I could have shot several different birds with a shotgun but waiting with a bow was far more exciting.

I got drawn last year for the first time. Had the excitement first day to have a huge tom march across a bare field from 480 yards out. gobbling and strutting right up to my decoys. almost the perfect hunt, except I missed! I wish I was using my bow, so I'd have a better excuse!

I missed the application process this year, so am considering an over the counter archery tag during one of the last two seasons (which is when I hunted last year). So it will be a commitment to the bow this year, and hit or miss, hopefully another great outing!

Sorry, but I'm going to steal your thread a little. If a bow is an option for anybody than what broadhead should a guy use??? I also was drawn for a tag and this will be my first try ever for a turkey. I'm comfortable shooting my bow and just want to know if a guy should increase grams to accomodate a larger diamoter broadhead? Fixed? or Retractable blades are another question?

Thanks for your input.

mr

I finally drew again and will be out there harpooning gobblers as well. I killed my first with the shotgun and have killed 7 since all with the bow. I wouldn't do it any other way! Get yourself a good blind and practice shooting from your knees or a stool. Shoot a few arrows through the mesh and you're ready! I've shot all mine with Hammerheads. Give it a shot if you're thinking about it - it's a blast!