• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Big Buddy Question

rockdog23

The regulator is what you attach the hose to on the Big Buddy, I am using a filter this year because last year I had problems when it got real cold. It's only another $10, so not a big deal. I have read that when it gets cold, the bulk tanks push moisture into the line, and that causes problems. You could do a search here and find more info.Try searching for "Big Buddy hose Clarification", 11/23/06.

You don't need a regulator because the hose srews into the fitting that the 1 pounders would attatch to, which is regulated internally by the heater itself.

The filter is highly reccommended by mister heater when using this hose or any other "high pressure hose"

Heres the link wolfman mentioned.

Big Buddy Hose Clarification

Wow, I might have found my problem!!! The last two weekends, my 3 year old Big Buddy Heater has given me the first problems I have had with it. Both times it was well below -15. I get everything set up, hook up the tank to the heater and hit the clicker. It starts right away, but then...the pilot flame gets bigger and the heater just fizzles out! After I tried to restart it, it starts hissing louder and louder. (it seems like it's getting way too much pressure) I can hold the pilot button down after the hose is un hooked and it continues to hiss propane for another 6 or so seconds. If I shut the tank off and let all the propane drain through the hose and re-light the heater it works for a while again.

After reading the above post I'm thinking it might be a filter that I need. It has never been a problem, but when I have tryed using it when it's really cold out, this happens.

I'm gonna get a filter and try it tomorrow.

Thanks...

From what I have read the bulk tanks have an oil in the gas that can clog the heater so the filter is recommended and from what I have read after you have problems there is some orifice or something that may need to be cleaned first so if it still is not working right after you install the filter you may need to do the cleaning.

The filter is also recommended to be replaced once a year. I bought mine at FF for $9.

There was a post about this awhile back.

Quote:

From what I have read the bulk tanks have an oil in the gas that can clog the heater

Actually, according to mr heater tech support, they are more concerned about the oils and contaminates getting "squeezed" out of the high pressure hoses than they are the tanks.

I ran mine for 2 years with the high pressure hose and no filter but I always made sure to turn off the valve on the tank and let the heater burn off the propane in the hose. I did this with my little buddy as well.

I am using the 12' R.V. quick connect hose this year and so far I am impressed. The best part is that it stays primed, in theory, with the tank disconnected for filling.

To be more specific after filling the tank and reinstalling the hose assembly the heaters pilot will come back on within 5 to 10 seconds (the high pressure hose takes much longer to purge out the air). I'll turn the heater on to medium and wait for it to turn off (caused by the small amount of air that gets in between the regulator and the fitting that attaches to the tank). 5 to 10 seconds to get the pilot lit again and its good to go for the rest off the day!!

NOTE: The initial purging of the 12' hose will take some time! I would highly reccomend doing this before hitting the ice!!

Hmm. A certain Buddy heater I aquired from someone I never got to work with the Bulk tanks but worked perfect with the 1 lb's. I just didn't have the patience to fill the twelve foot of hose. The "boy" said Air Jer used his with a bulk tank all the time. So Air Jer do you think I should invest on the quick coupler hose? Those things were at Gander for around $40.00. I really like the regular buddy a lot better because of the smaller footspace which becomes important when your in a Clam Pro. As long as it isn't too cold outside.

How exactly do you clear the air from the line? Justy hold down the pilot button and wait it out?

Well its about time you post something Zap!!

Are we talking the Big buddy or the Buddy? The quick connect hose will only work with the Big buddy. The buddy does not have the quick connect fitting.

The buddy heater I sold you won't work on a big tank?

It will take a while to get the air out of the "high pressure hoses". The five footer I used would take around a minute. Basically trun the knob to the pilot position and hold it down. Engage the igniter every 5-10 seconds until it lights. If I just filled the tank I knew it would be a while so I wouldn't even try until at least thirty seconds had passed.

I really like the 12' R.V. quick connect hose. It took a long time to bleed the air out so make sure you do this before you head out!!!! Seriously after filling the tank (i just did this Sunday morning, in fact the hose was disconnected from the tank over night) hook the hose back up, 5-10 seconds the pilot is lit. Trun it on medium wait for the flame to blow out. Relight the pilot, 5-10 seconds and its good to go!!!

I think you need to come out to Minnetonka one of these weekends with us and show that "boy" of yours how to fish!!! grin.gif

Get back to work and tell your boss to quite reading this stuff over your shoulder!!! grin.gif

Yeah I have been hiding out in the woods too long again. Can't get my post counts up that way. So we booked in with Kelly p for a couple of days at red after a day on LOW and a morning on Rainy. We got a Sunday and Monday night. Probably run around with the portables durring the day and relax on the lake by night in the sleeper can't stop fishing just cause you want a little comfort. Ha. Anyway I definitly got to let that line bleed longer It's at least twelve foot. I'll be taking the big buddy up to the great north. We run out of seperate portables so theres plenty of room for a little bigger heater.

I am planning on making backwater Brawl (zumbro zingerone anyway) haven't been there since the first year. The boy says Rush lake extravaganza is coming up soon also. Those are two I will make every effort not to miss. Probably see you at one or the other.

Thanks as usual for the information.

Note if the boy comes into work with a bracket with a bolt busted off in there that would be my Ford again. The sepentine belt spring loaded adjuster was sitting in there sideways tues after a spooky ride home. Battery was discharging and the water temp was coming up along with armstrong steering indicated that something on the belt wasn't right. Oh well always something.