• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is considered high milage for a used sled?

ishgood

Quote:

you never know what the real milage is on a sled without an ecm

Except when you are the original owner.

My last Skidoo with a 583 had 14,000 and change on it when I sold it. I like to think they were "highway miles". When I ride I generally do long distance rides. Its not uncommon to have 250 or 300 mile days and I've had a couple that were 375 (long day) The guy who bought it wasn't real concerned because he said it still looked better than all the others he had looked at. I had to let it go pretty cheap though, I only got 1350 for it.

I have a '92 indy 500 sp efi sks and she runs great at 9982 mile on it.Redid the top end just for peace of mind at 9500 mile and we just honded the cylinders and put on new rings and pistons and a set of gasgets and runs great.Took this machine 4 years ago to Island Park ID and stayed with the big boys!!I wasn't the first to the top of the hill but I wasn't last either..Wish I was there still.I'll keep this machine till one of us dies.

We just traded in one of our 2002 Arctic Cat 600ZL with 10,000 miles on it. We kept my 2002 same machine with 10,000 miles on it for a spare machine. It still runs great. Good maintenance... change bearings and rebuilt the shock is about we've done to it.

We're riding matching 2005 660 Turbos now. Bought Arctic Cat demos at a big savings. I see there are a couple of these machines on hsolist for the same price we paid.

My answer is like this:It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're buying an older sled that you will use occassionally and dont want to spend much, then yea,even 5 or 6 K miles is acceptable if the price is right.

But I'm guessing that you are looking at reecent models, say 2, 3 ,4 up to 5 years old. If that is the case and your spending 3000 or up, I would DEFINITELY look for something 2K or 2500 miles at most. That way you,re pretty sure to get many good years left out of it.

Yes, some may run to 9 or 10K, but that would be an exception.I,ve owned Polaris for 25 years, never had one quit, but never kept one over 5K miles either.

My 2 cents: a 2 stroke liquid cooled engine has an average lifespan of 5000 miles. Of course, if you look at any of the 4 strokes, it's a whole different story ( like 20,000 miles).

Quote:

IMO 5,000 miles is probably the eqivilant of 100k in a car. Of course there are a lot of variables, but in general 5k is really getting up there.

Now these new 4 strokes, that's a whole different ball game.

if you're going with that analogy, then 10k on a four stroke is like 100k on a diesel; just about broken in wink.gif

" Buyer Beware" is the only what to approach the evaluation of a snowmobile. Mileage is getting up there depends more on who is using a a sled and how old it is as there are improvements made in the design and quality of all sleds.

My rule of thumb. More than 5000 you should be looking at work needing to be done on the clutch, suspension/shocks, maybe the bearings. 7,500 some engine work could be anticipated, drive chain, springs and jack shaft. 10,000 track, electrical system.

Again it depends on who owns it and how its been treated.

Good point. By all means, try to find the machine driven by "the wife" or the 40+ year old "trail glider" rather than one owned by a 19 year old speedfreak. Modification are a great clue here.