• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Too Cold To Start????

troutchaser

A week ago I purchases a new 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Auto 4x4 with all the bells and whistles. Love the machine but this weekend I cold not get the starter to engage to turn over the engine. I tried to pull start it and that was like trying to lead around an elephant. Needless to say I am not very impressed right now. I did get it to start by pulling the rope after we got home from our fishing trip, but that was after I set the big buddy next to it for an hour or so. After it was running for a half hour or so it would start with the starter just fine. Is this something because it is not broke in yet(only three hours on it) or is there something else I should be looking at. The battery is in fine shape and fully charged.

It will be going back to the dealership, but I thought I would see if I could get some insight from some of you guys before I bring it back. confused.gif

Thanks

I used to have very similar problems with my Kodiak, and so did my Dad.

That was until I started using 0w-40 Amsoil in it. MAN! What a help that was!

No problems since changing to the Amsoil.

Not saying its the fix all, but it sure helped my cold starting problems.

Had the same problem with my 04 bombardier outlander in the cold.Switched oil and that seemed to help alot.Purchased a battery tender to keep battery full charged all of the time and that has also helped.Found out the hard way on charging the battery with a deep cell charger,to many amps and fried a new battery.Burl.

If you still have the original oil in it which is 20 -40 weight that is the problem, the starter clutch which runs in oil is to stiff, run some of the 0-30 weight that they run in yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles and you will have a much eaiser starting machine, I use that in both my 450 and bruin 350 use them for icefishing never had had a starting problem smile.gif

I had my '06 Grizz out this weekend while fishing and it would barely start the next morning after sitting all night in the cold temps. This is the first time I've had to start it when it's been this cold and I was very close to walking before I finally got a few good cranks and she fired. The starter would disengage and you could hear the relays clicking along with the dash display going dim and resetting as the battery was drained. I'd stop for a bit and then hit it again and kept doing this off/on thing to let the battery recover a bit.

I don't remember the weight of oil that's in there now, but if I'm going to be staying out the entire weekend I'm thinking it might be time to go to a lighter oil for the winter. Rope start? Forget about that on the 660 even when it's warm out, let alone -10!

I know on mine (500 sportsman) oil is the key. Usually use 0-40 amsoil but had some 5-30 Mobil 1 laying around so I figured what the heck. Well this past weekend she would not start and the temp was an even 0. With the amsoil I have started it at -10.

This sounds really helpful....oil....never thought of that. I will never be confused for a motorhead or grease monkey, so I need all the help I can get. I couldn't get my buddy's 4 wheeler going this weekend so we kept it in the garage of his cabin and drove our stuff out and then walked back when we wanted to haul it all back in. I just couldn't quite ever get her started and all that trying to get it started would drain the battery. We figured out to leave it in the warm garage on teh second night. The first night we spent pushing the thing back to the cabin for two hours...good thing the fishing was worth it!

The AMSOIL 0W-40 is designed for all 4-stroke Power Sports engines - ATVs and 4 wheels especially. With -60 deg F pour points you just can't get anything else that will make cold weather starting easier. (Most fossil oils turn to molasses or jelly heavy well above 0 deg.)

Where to buy? - Click on my link below to buy on-line and get it shipped direct to your door. For most here shipped from Superior, WI or Chicago, IL distribution centers for next business day delivery.

AMSOIL product code AFF

I also have a 06 Kodiak 450. I haven’t had any problems like that, and last weekend it was -22 degrees in the morning. It turned over a little slower but it fired up.

After that morning I decided I need to get some hand & thumb warmers put on.

as soon as you think you got her "broke in" I'd still switch oil as it is easier on your battery and will start better on those cold days and it is alot better for the engine from a lubrication stand point, the synthetic oil flows so much better in all weather conditions. just something to think about.

ICE DOG 1 out

Yes you can use it all year, and it will run better than your standard oil any time of year. Amsoil will most definately make any machine you own run better, and most importantly get that cold oil moving immediatly during those first crucial seconds of starting.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. One question though...I thought I read in the manual that you were not supposed to run synthetic oil. I will read it again when I get home, but I thought I read that in the manual.

that "may" be the case. Usually any manufacturer will say stuff like that cause some oil blends out there are junk and they don't want to be held responsible (it's a disclaimer). however I believe most oil you buy for wheelers that is "made for it" , (for polaris by polaris) is a synthetic blend of some type, and they want to sell more of there own product$$$. Amsoil does more research than any of these other companies and cannot even be compared to other synthetic blends on the market. A good example is Amsoil 2 stroke oil. I use this in my old auger that says ONLY 24:1 reg oil, well amsoil has done the research and due to the high effciency of thier oil I add much less to the gas(there is a chart on the bottle for 24:1, 50:1 ...) and it runs better than ever. I'm not an expert, but have done some homework and have many buddies that are good mechanics. hope this helps ya, if anyone can add to this that would be cool(oilman). just trying to turn people on to a good thing.

AMSOIL is the "First in Synthetics" coming out with the first API/SAE approved engine oil in 1972, and the first synthetic 2-stroke oil in 1973. AMSOIL has been and is the best - by independent laboratory testing to industry standard testing procedures.

Concerning 4-stroke ATVs: Many of these machines are common sump engine and transmission with wet clutches. There are additives used in petroleum automotive oils that will cause clutch slippage and failure in wet clutch machines. If you use a petroleum based oil make sure you use an oil designed for the wet clutches - for example, "motor-cycle" oil. Look for it to have a "JASO MA" or "JASO MA2" rating.

AMSOIL has 5 oils in the 4-stroke or motorcycle oil family:10W-40 and 20W-50 motorcycle oils, 0W-40 4-stroke, 10W-30 and 10W-40 outboard marine.

The 0W-40 is designed as the best for ATVs and other small recreational equipment (including snowmobiles and their cousin jet-skis). The 0W-40 has a pour point of -60deg F to give the best cold cranking. The 40 when hot gives excellent hot protection too! AMSOIL product code AFF.

Many of the newer ATVs are factory filled with synthetics and/or recommend the use of synthetics. Anyone who says 'don't' or 'can't' just simply doesn't know the facts.

Concerning 2-stroke: AMSOIL has 5 different 2-stroke oils. For your ice auger use AMSOIL Saber Professional (product code ATP) in all air-cooled pre-mix 2-cycle engines. It is rated to run as lean as 100-1 mix ratios, but many are skeptical about running that lean and choose to use it at 80-1 or even 50-1 (even at 50-1 it runs nearly smokeless). AMSOIL does NOT use fossil oil to make it. The 2-stroke oil is a di-esther base that is ashless and burns away clean to leave no carbon. It uses the most advanced additives - it lubricates better, reducing friction and wear. Many report high speed getting a couple hundred RPM higher. I have many customers using it in commercial lawn maintenance - with machines that have a lifetime of 2 years on fossil oil, still running strong with over 10 years on them - changing the spark plug once a year the only maintenance on them.

Where to buy? Yes, you can buy some AMSOIL products at a few stores. But you can buy all the full product line right here from your computer and support Fishing Minnesota at the same time (if I don't make sales here I won't be able to continue sponsoring). Just click my link below. You save the time and miles of running around to find it, and it ships from the closest regional distribution center (Superior, WI or Chicago, IL for most here) for next business day delivery via UPS to your door for most.

Support All Your Fishing Minnesota Sponsors!