• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rope for Fish traps or Otters

capmorgan

Question

13 answers to this question

Quote:

How would you put one on a Otter?

They're slippery buggers, and like to play, so have patience. grin.gif

Actually, on my Otter Cabin I put long hex bolts through the same pre-made holes where you attach the (available, but optional) Otter hitch, using some washers and nylon lock nuts, and tie off my rope to that. I used a long, stout, soft rope for looping around my body while pulling. Quick and easy removal for those times my buddy offers his Otter hitch for pulling it behind his 4-wheeler.

When I first bought my Otter, I didn't have anything to pull it with, so I attached the rope the same way schweady did. Now that I have a sled and tow hitch, I use the pins that came with the hitch to attach the rope. This makes it quick and painless to switch between the hitch and rope. You could also go to the hardware store and buy a couple of D pins which would work the same way.

Quote:

You could also go to the hardware store and buy a couple of D pins which would work the same way.

<<sound of slapping on forehead>> Once again, proof that reading FM makes a person that much smarter. Thanks hovermn. wink.gif

Powerstroke,

That's a good point. I've found that a longer rope is more comfortable and easier to pull than a shorter one. Also, if two people are pulling the sled at the same time, a longer rope will be much easier on the hands, too.

I wrapped a piece of foam pipe insulation onto my rope where I hold on to pull it, much easier on the hand than the diameter of the rope itself if you're pulling a load. I taped it in place with some duct tape, works good. Bill

If you are going to pull your sled by hand and not with an ATV try putting an 18" bungie cord on each side of the sled and tie your rope to those. It really makes it more comfortable to pull when you go over patches of snow.

I once had a very large german shepard named Sam. I would put a pulling harness on him and he would tow the large otter with all my gear and my young son . When he took off from a dead stop he often had trouble when there was more than an inch or two of snow. After I put the bungie cords on he was not getting jerked back when he started from a dead stop. After he passed on I found that I preferd the bungie cords as well, Ken

A fishing buddy of mine put me onto a trick for towing fishing sleds with ATVs and such and not having them run up your tail when you stop. Have two equal length pieces of 3/4th inch PVC pipe whose total length is a few inches shorter than the tow rope. String them both on the rope and retie. Have one length on either end of the rope where it is attached to the sled and you will have a few inches of free rope in the middle to hitch to your snowmobile or ATV. When you stop the machine, the sled stops, too.

I put two eye bolts on the front of my sled. Got a long peice of rope and cut it to a good length (I like it longer so if I fall through I can throw it off me easily). I tied clasps onto the ends so I could quite take it off and put it on the sled. Works great. Actually got the idea form walldoggie.