• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (Pics)

Stiff

Congrats Night Bite! Nice fish! And nice pics to both of you guys! I especially like the view down the hole.

I'm curious about two things:

What do you guys do when you harvest a larger pike that isn't going on the wall? Do you bake it (boil it, broil it, etc)? Invite friends over? or portion it and freeze it?

Second, I'm curious what different peoples criteria are for letting a fish swim vs harvest. I haven't had the chance to take a fish over 10 lbs yet, and I 'm not sure what I would do if one showed up in the hole. I'm generally looking for smaller fish so it hasn't been an issue for me (yet). Apart from the excitement of taking a big fish, I think I'd be inclined let a big one swim (especially if I had already taken one) unless I had specific plans for him.

So I'm curious - when you have a fish in the hole, what is your target size for harvest? and what do you let swim? and why?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Second, I'm curious what different peoples criteria are for letting a fish swim vs harvest. I haven't had the chance to take a fish over 10 lbs yet, and I 'm not sure what I would do if one showed up in the hole. I'm generally looking for smaller fish so it hasn't been an issue for me (yet). Apart from the excitement of taking a big fish, I think I'd be inclined let a big one swim (especially if I had already taken one) unless I had specific plans for him.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The 32" I got last weekend was the biggest I have ever speared. I have only seen two bigger than that(mid-upper 30"). I let both pass. I don't know what I would do if I would see a 40"+, that is a decision I will have to make if it ever happens.

Hey Stiff, can't you get a more recent picture? That picture is so old the off spring of that big mama are big enough to hang on the wall!!! See you Friday at the "Goose".

Hey Ron,

That's what happens when you never catch any big fish. With luck maybe you can take a new photo for me this year with a bigger wall-dad grin.gif

Sounds like people may fish a little longer this year and meet up at the Goose a little later. Either way - we always manage to find a good time - at a bar on the lake, or a bar on the shore. Might be a good idea to swing by the shack on the way up though. We'll see you when we see you.

~T

I totaly understand. You have to change your motion every once in a while. I have done that as well. Some good advice that i took from a great friend of mine, if your not seeing any fish, and ur using a live decoy and a fake decoy, get rid of the live decoy, place the fake in the hole, and NEVER touch it. Just let it hang and never move it.

Trust me, it works.

Hey Guy's,

Great site/thread. I'm from Marquette Michigan (U.P) Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. Spearing is not as hot a topic here in Michigan. Don't get me wrong, there are some die hards, like myself, but not as many threads on the forums as on this site. Some guys really beat you up, think spearing is not very sporting.

Have already learned a great deal, and especially like the info on different decoy topics. Don't know if anyone has heard this one, but my buddy uses a golf ball half painted red and hangs it in his hole and uses an old egg beater to twist the line and it makes the ball spin, attracting the pike. It does work.

Been spearing for approx. 5 years now and am totally addicted. It is all I do now on free days. I have also been carving my own decoys, Nothing special but speared my first pike of the season on my own decoy which is kinda fun. I plan on using some ideas discussed on this thread.

yes the golf ball does work mine is black and white hooked on a spinner that runs off 2 d batteries also works good to just spin a decoy around had a lake back a few years ago that was the only thing that would get the fish to come in.

First i would like to say, Welcome to FM. Need anything let me know.

The golf ball trick works very well. Come hang out here and talk spearing with us all you want. Spiff and myself are here allt he time taking smack back and forth. Gota have fun, yet were here to help ya out bro.