• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (Pics)

Stiff

Your right, they do go a bit slower and are more tighter, reason i like that better is becuase if you watch a pike in your hole more away from the decoy, 90% of the time there moving away slow. and when they turn, they Turn tight.

The harrnel that you have there is the same one that i use, but i dont use the weight. Like mine to be able to swim free.

Good Fishing

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good idea to read through the "Rules" about posting photos of fish, birds, animals etc. taken in the feild before posting a pic. The rules are also listed at the top of the photo sharing page. Basically, make sure they are taken in the natural setting and in good taste.

~T

Nice pics and stories. I never knew this Spearing thread existed. I must look around more! I'm on the computer all day for work, and don't get to snoop around the web much.

CKM-pike12-30-06.jpg

Same Fish pike-37in-12-30-06Night.jpg

37" I took on 12-30-06. She came in nice an easy, just how you imagine it to be, but so often that isn't the case. I hit her so clean, any further towards the head and my spear may have bounced off and not sunk its tynes in. Anyway, a good way to end my year, with a good buddy in my house with me. What more can you ask for?

Nice Pictures. Sounds like your having a good time with the spearing. We have been talking about spearing in here since is started a forum Where everyone going spearing opening day?

I think i got the story's and thinking started there. Its been a great winter to talk about spearing, and we will be here talking about it all the time. Please, dont be affraid the jump in and give your two since in. Welcome aboard to the spearing gang.

Just as Stiff...We are kinda crazy, yet here to help blush.gifgrin.gif

thanks for the welcome. I've been spearing since 1990, when I attended ICC in GR for my first 2 yrs of college, then moveed to CO for my last 2 yrs. I finally got a chance to move back home in 2001, and have been 'making up lost time' in the spear house ever since.

So far this year I have just been a spectator to spearing,,,Its been 40+ years since I have been in a spear house ,,,I'm being tutored by a seasoned spearer,,,I put out some tipups and sit in the house watching the fish swim in and learning as we go ,,,dummy decoys, live decoy harness spear and licence still need to be aquired but I may use this season as a learning experience and pick it up next year ,,,this thread has been as helpfull as the tutoring ,,thanks for the info

Randoid

Wow you guys have a great thread going here! I just joined the Forum about a week ago and have been poking around but this has got to be the best thread.

You all have me reminissing, I was an avid spearer when I was a kid about 30-35 years ago. Actually had one of those plastic red & white northern shaped decoys back then. I bought another last spring when it was on sale at Mills but that is as close to getting back in as I have gotten. I need a dark house and have been meaning to build one but never seem to find time. It would be easier to just buy one at this point. Any tips on finding one?

My fist "house" was a cardboard box from my mother's new refrigerator. I quickly graduated to a 4'x 4' house I built myself when in the 3rd or 4th grade.... It was not pretty and was very heavy as it was built out of scrap 1" boards and corregated tin I scrounged up on the farm. But I got a lot of use out of it down on the river in the pasture. Dad helped me make an ice chisel from scrap iron and a spear out of an old pitch fork, we even "oil tempered" them. He wanted me to learn how to weld so I was on my own making a wood stove out of an old oil pan from a flathead v8 Ford. The good old days! Didn't have money but had time. How things have changed.

Bob

First off i would like to welcome you to Fishing Minnesota. This is a great place to be able to talk everyone about fishing, yet to have a god time joking around and having a hreat time. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. I will be able to help you.

Things have changed in the last 15 years. I remember when i was out there with my dad, trying to figure out how the heck to be able to cut hat spear hole, get things ready to go, and be able to have a good time doing it. Now that we have all these new saws, and amazing augers, its like its coming to the point where its getting to easy. Spearing is somethign that if you have not done it before, you as a fisherman, have to at least try it once. Ya its not for everyone, but its a sport that once u try it a few times, and see fish, its pretty tuff to beat it.

Once again, Welcome to FM and have a great time here.

Check out this rig... I picked it up at a second hand shop over the weekend. It's pretty lightweight, but not so light that I think it will be a problem. Overall length is about 5 ft.

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

The barbs seem very sturdy as they are not cut into the side of the tines.

Do you guys ever have trouble getting the spear out of the fish without damaging them??

Are there any tricks to this? (getting the fish off the barbs)

~T

Nice pick up, although i dont like the spears that are set up like that. Reason that i say that, is i dont like how the barbs on the inside are smaller and shorter then the outside barbs.

As far as getting the pike off the spear, alot of times, if oyu get a clean hit on the pike, you should not have a problem getting the fish off the spear, a really easy way to get them off without hurting them, is placing your hand on top of the fish and pushing presure into to fish, where the holes will open up, and the barbs will come right now. Has worked for me.

I will work on getting pictures of my two spears, and get them on the this link.

HEY STIFF I spear out of a permanent house with a door that opens out,I just open the door, Lay the spear on the bottem of the door frame with fish outside, close the door a little with the fishhead outside the door and give the spear a little tug, pops the fish of every time!!

Sounds great -

Unfortunately I don’t fish out of a permanent and I don’t think I could pull it off with the zipper on my canvas portable LOL.

smirk.gif

Fortunately, I don’t have the problem very often. grin.gif

~T