• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (Pics)

Stiff

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else go out spearing last weekend? I went out on saturday and sunday morning. I got only 1 about 3 1/2 lbs on saturday (seen 2) and 3 on sunday ranging from 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 lbs (seen 3). Out of all the fish only one hit my live decoy. They haven't been in a feeding frenzy it doesn't seem, the last couple of weekends.

I almost exclusively use live decoys which is not very common I don't think? Does anyone else? There is another spearhouse that is only about 50' away from me and he hasn't seen anything he says. I'm not sure if its the location or the live decoys. He has been only using fake decoys. I have yet to not see a fish out there, since late december and I have been going out every weekend since then.

Also does anyone know if northerns feed on bullheads regularly? The lake i'm spearing at is loaded with black bullheads, but have only found one bullhead inside of a northern. I've found lots of perch, sunfish etc. in the others.

Take care,

Brad

Here is what I noticed last weekend: Friday the pressure was very high and the fish were not active. Even the little perch in the hole would not chase a small bait very far. I didn't see one pike. I tried both a live sucker and a motionless decoy without the minnow in the hole - the fish were just not moving.

Saturday I saw two fish in the morning before 8:30. The first one came in and inhaled the live decoy. The second one was shy and wouldn't come all the way into the hole. I didn't see one other fish the rest of the day besides a few small sunfish. They seem to be in a funk right now. Hopefully it was better for those who went out Sunday and today.

Was out on waska sat morn. saw 5 fish all about 3 lbs or so had alive decoy down and they would come in really slow to the decoy till he moved then they would take off. caught some nice perch in between seeing fish actually had two pike come in and chase the perch around when i was pulling them upout of the hole. That sight fishing for perch is nice so you can weed out the smaller ones and catch the bigger ones.

What do you guys use to clean out the ice chips from cutting the hole with your auger. I found a good use for those old cracked scoop shovels on the farm take and drill about 50 or so 1/2inch holes in them and they work good to get out the slush

Quote:

What do you guys use to clean out the ice chips from cutting the hole with your auger. I found a good use for those old cracked scoop shovels on the farm take and drill about 50 or so 1/2inch holes in them and they work good to get out the slush

I use a 5 gallon bucket that I have drilled a lot of holes in the bottom of it. It works real well and allows you to get a huge load of ice chips out with one scoop.

I also use a smaller 5 gallon like pail (i think they are 2 1/2 gallon) I modified for a minnow bucket. I cut a circle out of the top cover and pop riveted a small piece of expanded metal in it. In order to get it to sink i place a rock in it. I then attach it to an eye in my house with a small cable dog chain. I used to use rope, but if you have an accident with the chisel its easy to cut right through the rope. Don't ask me how i know lol.

There is alot of crazy ways that you can get it out of the water. For myself, i have always used a shovel to get it out. I have a really old one, where i have a few holes on the bottom, but let the water drain before i throw the ice away.

I dont get alot of ice chips becuase i am only cutting 5 holes with the auger. I have a ice saw, that limits the ice chips down becuase i dont have to use the auger alot.

If there is anything that you can invest in, i high suggest that you invest in the hand saw, becuase it will save you alot of time, effort, and gas money!! cool.gif

Its all going to depend on the situation. More times then not, I dont have to recut the hole. The reason that i saw that, is becuase i leave my live decoy in the whole about 4 inches in, where he will never be able to get out of the water. This will allow the line to be able to keep the whole from freezing up. There has not been a time that i have had to recut the hole by doing this.

I never keep the house out over a period of time. If i know that i am not going to be able to make it out within 1-2 days, i will pull off the house. I use a Mankato Portable, so i will be able to pull it off all the time.

There is alot of saws out on the market right now. Honestly, your not going to by a bad saw. The keep to keeping the saw up to par, is to make sure that you dont bend it. Always cut the hole with the saw at the right angle so you dont bend the blades. Once thow blades get bent, your going to have alot of problems. The biggest key that i can give you when your cutting your hole, is cutting the 5 holes with the auger. If you cut the 5 holes in the 4 corners, and then one in the middle, your never going to be able to miss the cut. This way, by having the 5th hole in the middle, your going to be able to cut the hole into 4 chunks. Its going to make it alot easier to be able to get the ice out of the water.

Hope this helps ya out.

Quote:

Its all going to depend on the situation. More times then not, I dont have to recut the hole. The reason that i saw that, is becuase i leave my live decoy in the whole about 4 inches in, where he will never be able to get out of the water. This will allow the line to be able to keep the whole from freezing up. There has not been a time that i have had to recut the hole by doing this.

I never keep the house out over a period of time. If i know that i am not going to be able to make it out within 1-2 days, i will pull off the house. I use a Mankato Portable, so i will be able to pull it off all the time.

There is alot of saws out on the market right now. Honestly, your not going to by a bad saw. The keep to keeping the saw up to par, is to make sure that you dont bend it. Always cut the hole with the saw at the right angle so you dont bend the blades. Once thow blades get bent, your going to have alot of problems. The biggest key that i can give you when your cutting your hole, is cutting the 5 holes with the auger. If you cut the 5 holes in the 4 corners, and then one in the middle, your never going to be able to miss the cut. This way, by having the 5th hole in the middle, your going to be able to cut the hole into 4 chunks. Its going to make it alot easier to be able to get the ice out of the water.

Hope this helps ya out.

Ok thanks a lot that does help out. I have a permanent that I've had out since around mid december. Since I work during the week I'm only able to get out during the weekend. I have plywood covers that i put over my holes, (i have two spearholes in my house) that are insulated with about 3 1/2" of that tinfoilish (can't remember the name) looking foam insulation. It works pretty well but i still get about 1-2" sometimes when it sits during the week. I think the saw will probably work real well to true up the hole instead of doing so with a chisel.

Brad

Hey Guys,

Was out on Friday Sat and Sunday. My son got A's and B's on his report card so he got to play Hookey from school on Friday. The lake I spear on was holding a fishing derby this past weekend so we headed up to camp on Thursday night. Got a nice 31 inch on Friday after sitting for approx. 45 min. Came in on my silver bullet (One of my own carved decoys) Made a nice clean hit right behind the head. Fished for perch on Sat and saw a nice spearable pike on Sunday. The fish I saw on Sunday was really spooky and did a drive by the corner of the hole and never cam back. I have been noticing that I have been seeing most of my fish around the 10am-12 noon range, and they have been pretty non aggressive. Anybody noticing this?. Anyway one of these days I'll learn how to post pic's to show ya some YOOPER Pike grin.gif

Sounds like you had a good time.

I totally agree with you on the 10-12noon thing. There was quite a few weekends where i stayed out in the afternoon and I only seen a fish maybe once or twice after 1. Lately I've been just going out from 8-1.

The last time that i was out i had the best luck from 9-11, and then again from 3-4. There were very aggresive through them times. I did see a few around the 12 mark, but they were not moving like the other times of the day. Weather has alot to do with it. I have had very good luck when the sun is up, and the lake is very bright. But sometimes, when its cloudy, and snowing, is when you see the bigger fish. It all depends on the lake ad where your at i believe.