• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing (Pics)

Stiff

I am not from benson, but i think i have drove through there before. I am from the metro area, but looking to move out towards the mid central part of the state.

U are right. It is personal Preference on the decoy. Everyone loves there own decoys. At least i do.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stiff, In your original post that started this thread. The 2nd decoy from the top. I have one exactly like that. It is my favorite decoy. Or it was, the front fins broke off and I dont know how to fix or where I can get another one. It was actually my father's who taught me how to spear 25yrs ago when it would take me 2 hrs to chop a hole. (I recently tried the ice saw and that thing is amazing) When I get time I love to stare into the aquarium. Where did you get that one -the red and white?

Also does any one know of where I can get my hands on some plans for a dark house? I met a guy north of grand rapids that had a sweet permanant. Hole in the middle and chairs on each side. Great set up if one of my kids want to watch for a few minutes. Any info would help. Thanks

Red Bricks,

That is an old Bru-ell decoy. Earlier in this post "Early Riser" pointed out that they are no longer in production. That particular Red and White is also my current favorite. It was probably the first decoy I ever bought in a bait shop as a new decoy. That was a lot of years ago and I probably didn't fish it until a few years after I bought it. That was at a time when I was still trying to put the whole package together on my own.

Anyhow, I've seen them on hsolist occasionally, but since they are no longer in production they are considered collectable and sell for an increased price. I think they generally sell for about $30 after shipping on there. I would think the one you have could be repaired. I've never done it, but I would think it would be fairly straight forward (???)

Oh, the walleye....

That's a nice little story... It was 31 1/2 inches. I caught it on Mille Lacs at 11:00 in the morning. People in the shack were starting to drink, making too much noise and I had given up on walleyes, so I switched over to catch some small perch to pass the time... I caught that fish on 2 lb test line with a wax worm on a tear drop... grin.gif

DSCF0082.jpg

Got this one in my metro area lakes. Dont do alot of spearing in hutch. Everytime i drive out to that area, the water is aways dirty. Cass lake is amazing, if you get a chance to go, do it, the small lakes around cass are awesome spearing lakes. Best part is, there is no houses anywhere around you.

To be honest it was never weighed. I didn't have a scale, the resorter didn't have a scale, I dropped it off at the taxidermist on the way home and I could hardly beiieve that he didn't have a scale handy. I would guess that it was in the 11.5 - 12 lb class.

That pike you got last time out is a dandy - Congrats!

I think I may head up to the Linstrom area in the morning tomorrow. It will be my first time in the neighborhood for winter fishing, but a guy just has to go give it a shot - Right?

~T

Stiff thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes on hsolist. I suppose I could find some ice tongs there also.

Does anyone know where I can find directions for putting a harness on a sucker minnow? Thanks

p.s. it is nice to post about spearing without getting attacked

I saw a live sucker minnow once that had a weight on its back I think the guy used a needle to put a string under the dorsal. He said he had been using the same minnow for about 3 weeks. It was a pretty big minnow. I didn't get a close look at it because it was in the water. Does any one have a photo or know where there might be a diagram. Thanks

That's how I do mine too. I just buy a sucker pin in the bait shop. Then I just slide an egg sinker on my line before I tie the pin on so it settles right on top of the harness (pin). The pin just goes through the sucker below the front of the dorsal fin.

IMG_2754.jpg

I know there is another style that goes around the sucker, but I haven't used that kind. This one goes through the sucker the same place that you would hook him - just below the front of the dorsal fin.

~T

Ross,

You need to select the "Image" option the Instant UBB Code choices listed directly below the box where you write your post. Just select "Image" at the point in your text where you want the pic to show up - then paste the address in the dialog box that shows up. (I hope I got the terms right. I'm really not a computer kind of guy)

Actually, now that I look at the address you have tried to insert, it looks like you are trying to insert a pic that is on your computer. You will need to download a copy to a site like "Photo Bucket" - then insert the web address to your account there. There is a pretty good explaination of how to do it on the top of the "Photo Sharing" page.

If it's any consolation, I completely messed up my first tries.

BnS, I tried the Bear Creek decoy yesterday. It seems to swim very slow, and in fairly tight circles compared to what I'm used to. I wonder if that has something to do with why it works so well for you. I didn't have any luck, but I tried a new lake and I don't think I did a very good job of choosing the right location.

~T