• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inexpensive baitcasting setup?

Standard

I'm thinking about finally taking the plunge and getting a baitcasting setup. Unfortunatly, I seem to have a money twig instead of a money tree, so I'd like some opinions as to what a good starting setup would be.

I'm trying to keep it around $150, or at least under $200. I'd like a pretty versatile setup, but it will mainly be for bass.

Thanks!

I have to agree with the bps combos because I have some Extremes and Rick Clunns. Watch for their spring catalog for specials. Also, watch Gander's flyers for spring specials. This past fall they had a Quantam ACX combo for $79.00. Trails End always has their spring garage sale in April I believe. You can put together a nice inexpensive combo. Also, don't forget about the sportshows in the next few months. You might be able to get a good deal talking to the reps...there are a few in this forum.

Shimano Citica goes for 119 and couple that with a Shimano Compre rod that goes for 100.

Gander MT in Minnetonka is having a close out sale before they move to Eden Prairie. Rods n Reels are 10% off. Oh wait I grabbed the last high speed Citica. I think I spelled that right. It's the old Curado guts is what the Gander guy told me.

Also, if you break the rod you can have it replaced. But I don't think Gander is carrying Shimano rods - corp dispute or something. Cabela's has them though - prolly Thorne Bros to.

I have several outfits from Shimano Curados, Daiwas etc but I have found the BPS combos to be an excellant value if they fit your budget. Reagdless of what you end up with the secret to beginning bait casting is practice. After over 60 years of using bait casters I still get sloppy from time to time and get to pick out a backlash or two. The back yard or driveway with a practice plug is a very good way to develop and/or hone your skills.

Thanks for all the advice, it's definatly helpful. I have a fondness for the Shimano reels, and the reviews I've read for the Citica have all been positive.

I am a little worried about learning to use it, though. Hopefully I won't go through too much line.. grin.gif

Nothing wrong with practicing in the backyard. I do it in the spring to get the fishing fever out of me. My neighbors look at me like I'm weird. If my daughter can learn it within a few casts anyone should be able to do it too. Remember to get a reel with an aluminum frame.

Quote:

I am a little worried about learning to use it, though. Hopefully I won't go through too much line..
grin.gif

I was worried about it at first too, but once I bought one and got the hang of it, I was really glad I did.

Figured I'd update this.

Just picked up a Citica 200D with a Shimano Convergance rod. Gander Mountain combo for $160.

Now, who can explain what all the nice dials do for me? cool.gif

The drag star is easy enough to get, but how should I set the VBS and cast control knob for different situations?

I can help you there...

The smaller knob that is metal under the star drag is the clutch. Generally set this so that when youhave lure lure tied on and hit the button, the lure will fall but will not backlash when the lure hits the water, floor.

On the opposit side of the reel is the anti backlash.. Remove the side plate and you will see 6 colored pieces, I think they are green or grey...Start with 4 pulled away from the spool, click them out. Leave 2 in.. Make a few casts.. if you do not backlash but want further distance.. start clicking 1 at a time, the other pieces tward the center..

Its a lot easier to explain in person!

Thanks Dietz!

I had a vague idea of what everything did, just didn't know the proper way to adjust them.

The main thing was the anti-backlash. I didn't know which way to click the pieces (they're red, btw smile.gif)

Thanks again!

umm ok so i know you guys have been talking about $150 combos for a bass setup, but i am relatively new to bass fishing and the only casting combo i have is for cattin'. are there decent combos out there for say $50 -75 for someone who doesnt know if this is what he wants to invest a lot into yet? i'd probably be using it for casting northerns as well if that makes a difference.

a deccent rod/reel combo for $70 might be hard. They are out there, but to get into a decent rod/reel combo with a good anti backlash system.. it will cost you a little more. The problem with going cheep with a baitcaster to try it out is that you probably will not like it. It will backlash more, the drag willnot ge all that good, it will not cast that far. So, hence you will never buy a better one thinking they are all the same.

Quote:

I can help you there...

On the opposit side of the reel is the anti backlash.. Remove the side plate and you will see 6 colored pieces, I think they are green or grey...Start with 4 pulled away from the spool, click them out. Leave 2 in.. Make a few casts.. if you do not backlash but want further distance.. start clicking 1 at a time, the other pieces tward the center..

Adding to this... When you are pulling out the brakes, I've been told by advanced reel guys to go every other brake, not the all the brakes next to eachother. My basic braking on the Shimano is 3 brakes on but some have only 2 brakes on and they are pulled out opposite of eachother rather than next to eachother. I think it balances it out or something, not sure.

Also, if you're in your back yard practicing with a plug, make sure you change weights and try different scenerios, like casting in the wind, long casts, short casts and casting around objects. Try 1/8oz, 1/4oz, 1/2 and 1oz. Start with the heaviest and work with each weight class until you feel comfortable doing various things with it. It will start getting tough when you get around 1/4oz. Also, might be helpful for the first year of using a baitcaster to use braided line, much easier to untangle a birds nest, instead of cutting out all the mono and starting over.

Good Luck! It will be tough to start but you will get it.