• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wax worms, mousies or Euro larvae?

Aberdak

I prefer the Euros. The nice thing about them is that you can hook them through one end and the don't pop like the Wax worms do. I used to fish with waxies all the time, but the way that they turned to mush didn't appeal to me any more. If you hook a Euro right, they get a nice little wiggle as you are dropping your jig down. That little movement seems to pull the trigger on a lot of those finicky fish. They are a little tougher skinned than the waxies, so they stay on a little longer. Waxies are still great bait, but I am definately sold on the Euros.

CA

I was sold on euros and still love them but probably the last three trips its been all about waxies. I tried tipping my jigs with one two three euros and they would just sniff it. If I put waxies on they would charge up and meet it on the intial drop. I think the waxies made the jig flutter around and drop slower.

Spike is just a slang term for maggots. Eurolarvae are colored maggots. I hardly ever use these kinds of baits anymore. There are so many varieties of plastics on the market now that live grubs are practically obsolete. It's so much easier to fish without the hassle of re-baiting all the time.

yep, eurolarve are the colored ones. Its been a while since I have bought anything but euro for panfish... sometimes its hard to beat a minnow on crappies.

What I like most about the eurolarve is they are easy to keep alive. You can buy larger bulk paks, save some money!

When I was a kid I worked for this bait guy and would catch carp to raise silverwigglers better known as maggots or spikes not the funnest job but always had bait to use. I also like those secret bugs or silverwigglers

I just learned another life ice fishing lesson. A person must keep their euros refrigerated or they will pupate. (sp) I did catch one nice crappie on the remainder of non pupated euros last night. Holes I on punched on Wednesday night were still open last night. (Friday) I was wishing you would of got some additional cold weather before our snow!

When I am down in the cities, I like to make a run to Vados bait. They are a huge distributor of euros. You can get either the colored ones, or they sell them white only. I prefer the white ones myself. They treat you very well there and my brother-in-law just ordered 1000 of them online for about $9. They normally can ship them overnight.

I laughed when I read the post about not keeping them refregerated. I have had many times forgot to take them out of my coveralls at the end of the season. When I did find them the next season, all I had was a tin full of dead flies. grin.gif

I fished New Years day with a buddy I socialized with until 2:00 am on 12/31/06. This was our 2nd annual New years day trip. We left town by 7:00 am. We had everthing along, W. Ws, Ms, E. Ls, and crappie minnows. The bait of the day however was mousies attached to a pink headed/white body custom ratso. We ended up with 3 - 9" inch perch and 3 - 9.5" inch Crappies. Plus a bunch of too small bluegills for harvest. Nice New Years day fishing trip. I stayed home the rest of they and ate and watched college bowl games.

Quote:

Multi-colored euros. One red, one white. Killer

It has been years since I deliberately bought colored euros. I am one of those guys who doesn't change whats workin'. Just curious how many of you Euro users out there are definately convinced that the colored ones outfish the plain white. Or if there are any of you who perform the white ones over others. I need to hear testamonials before making the switch if it is needed.

CA

I by the colored, as of late S&W has had jars of ALL RED and I buy those. I would prefer to just have All White and/or All Red. Get the little Candy Cane Selection. I am a fan of the Red as though look like blood worms, etc. But that is just me.

I grow my own meal worms. I like doing it because its easy, hassle free, clean without the dead carp smell, and I have relatively no expense.

Right now, I have approx 2000 in the fridge in SKOAL cans and bait pucks.

I also have approximately 30,000+ growing. They work excellent for all panfish. I catch LMBass, perch, sunnies and crappies with them. They are nice and long too so, the have a good profile on the hook. I usually only need one on the hook. They also have a nice thick skin and stay on the hook well. Sometimes I can catch up to 3-4 fish without rebaiting.

If anyone wants more info, let me know.

Spikes are maggots...Euros are maggots! In Wisconsin & Illinois they call'em spikes, in Minnesota they call'em eurolarve. It doesn't matter if they are colored or polka dotted they are maggots. Spikes, Eurolarve, different colloquisms.