• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad experience on "good ice"?

sparky88

Has anyone ever fell through on ice that they knew was thick enough to hold them (say 6" or 8"). Thats always been a nightmare of mine. I'm very cautious and dont venture on the ice if its to thin. But I still wonder about 8" of good ice especially if my kids are with me. Or am I just be paranoid? (I use a portable)

Its not paranoid its cautious.

I have never fallen through the ice at all, even on 3" of ice but yes Im sure a guy could be on 8" of "good ice" and walk a few feet and only be on 2" of "poor" or "not so good" ice and fall through.

Likely? Maybe not but its never too soon to be cautious.

Thin ice spots can be caused by weed beds, currents, springs, schools of fish,(especially Carp), and probably a few other things. I've gone through the ice three times in my life and it doesn't get any easier with practice. Each time I thought I was on safe ice.

I let the dummies go out today, but I am still uncertan of the ice. I want to use my wheeler to pull the house to the other side of the lake. even thou there was a couple of wheelers out there, I still shy away, becuase of this stupid warm weather.

I thought about calling the DNR to get them stupid geese off the lake. grin.gif

I fell thru on 8 ins. of ice a feel years ago. I walked square onto a spear fishermans hole that wasn;t marked, was in up to my armpits before I knew what happened. That sure wakes a person up in a hurry. Snow had drifted over the spear hole and it wasn;t visable, you have to pay attention in the areas that you suppect spear fishermen frequent. tongue.gif

My brother in-law and I went fishing several years back checked all the way out and 6" every where. Problem was we fished till dark and on the way back in apparently walked off the same path we came out on probably not more than 10 feet. Next thing I knew he was yelling.( he was behind me) It scares the hell out of ya. Everything ended out fine but several things cross your mind, Your first thought is to run up and help but my brother in-law yelled at me to stay away. Duh the ice isn't safe.

1. Why didnt I fall through? I walked over that spot seconds before.

2. Why was that dumb *#% sitting 100 yards from open water fishing yesterday. I am as frustrated with the ice conditions as anybody but come on.

you can never trust ice know matter how thick it is. 10yrs ago I was on mille lacs with 28 inches of ice on a well esatablished road heading out to the flats when I felt the back of the truck lose grip luckly I had it locked in and just gave it a little gas as i looked in the rear veiw I noticed that the ice behind me was breaking we stopped a waya away and walked back to the spot a checked it out and the road had come apart. we got a hold of the resort owner and he redirected for the day. that night it got down to -20 and when we left two days later we drove over that same spot..

Ice can be strong than steel but still be unperdictable I respect ice know matter how thick it is.