• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Fish Elevator

biggieroth

I'll have to say this is one of those inventions that I always thought should be invented but my natural laziness always prevented me from doing so. If you're a tullibee or trout fisherman, I would say it is a must have. If you fish walleyes out of permanent, you'll for sure ice more fish with it. Panfish, it will help. It would save quite a few crappie releases right at the hole. Sunfish and perch, they don't shake off that much, so maybe it isn't that big a benefit.

Can you build it yourself, sure. Not me, but the handy guys and gals on FM could. But, why would you do that when it's there for a real reasonable price? If you're thinking about building it, you already have acknowleged the benefits of having it. So, I say just buy it. laugh.gif

After watching several nice crappies go back down the holes at Red I also thought about something like this. When these came out I thought duh why didnt I do that? Well needless to say I will be using one on Red and any other lake Im worried about losing fish in the hole.

For those who have one how do you use it in your prtable? Cut down the dowling some?

After years of cutting 10" holes I can now go down to a 8" hole. I always cut the big 10 inchers so the crappies wouldnt hit the side of the hole and fall off. Now with the Fish Elevator I can use a 8" hole and the elevator and not lose those nice slabs. I also wont leave those huge 10" holes all over the lake for someone to step into.

Just watching this thing in action and thinking out loud, it seems to displace quite a bit of water. My thoughts are that it might work better with larger holes or even a mesh net instead of the perforated platform.

But what do I know....

The fish elevator works great! Today it helped me ice a fat 22" eye. Fish was too big to lift out with the 6lb, and it was getting too dark to see, so I grabbed the handle and popped her out of the hole with the fish elevator...I LOVE FAT GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One hell of a scoop as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to post a picture but don't know how yet..

Quote:

DTRO- don't dis it till ya used it for a year, you want to put a mesh net at the bottom of the hole to grab hooks? I guess, your the engineer....
confused.gifconfused.gif

Joel

you're kidding I hope. READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF MY POST

No where did I "dis" it.

Please smirk.gif

I've iced fished a total of about 20 hours in my life.

It is a bit Ironic that I do work in the engineering field though, and why would a rubber mesh not work?

Quote:

I like to give them a sporting chance since I never plan on keeping them anyways. seems more geared towards the handicaped

fishermen then the true sportman.

Yeah, I agree - we should also get rid of landing nets, rod holders, flashers, power augers, fish houses, tip-ups, or anything else that might help catch fish in open or on hard water. But most of all don't forget about maps - maps especially are only for handicapped fishermen. I mean look at them, they practically tell you where all the fish are!!!

For crying out loud lighten up, it's an oversized ice scoop, not some sort of magical fish catching device.

By the way, I'm sure that the truly handicapped really appreciate you telling them they need an extra "hand" to land a fish or that they're "not true sportsmen" And no I'm not trying to be politically correct, it just gets me that lately a lot of people have felt the need to jump all over a new post about something that some people might find interesting or helpful.

If you've ever fished out of a perm shack you can appreciate this concept. Lets add up the distance from the water to floor hieght. Thats the distance you have to lift a fish. 1/2 plywood, 2x4 floor joists, 4" of blocking and if your shack has skids you can add that which is usually another 2-4". Now in a boat I use a net instead of lifting a fish out of the water and over the side of the boat. Sure once in a while I'll horse one over but you all know if a fish is going to break or fall off it'll be by then.

I've gotten pretty good at diving to the hole to grab fish that have gotten off. I don't mind at getting wet up to the elbow to recover a fish. Thats not so bad when your outside and have room to maneuver. In my portable or perm floor space gets taken up with flashers and heaters. Making that dive to the hole isn't so easy, add the dead air space between the ice and floor and you need a longer arm.

dtro sounds like you need to get to work and make a prototype. I just dont see what your getting at but a pic would help. I think if done correct a lot of materials may work. Until then Im happy with what I have because it works.

Built one 5 years ago having never seen or heard of one before. It works great. I used plywood with large holes drilled in it and conduit for the handle. Takes about 20 minutes and a couple dollars to make your own. They really do save a lot of fish that shake out the hook coming up the hole.

Yes sir Polar bear, I made my prototype from a plywood disc.

The only thing was it didn't work as a scoop too good and the hooks snagged the plywood if the fish came by just right.

So, I perfected the design in making The Fish Elevator a great scoop that absolutely could not grab the hooks.

People will FREAK the first time they use it on a nice fish or if a fish gets off in the hole and they easily harvest them anyway....

Joel Taylor grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

www.fishelevator.com

When I saw this I said no way. Why would I ever need somthing like that. Well that is the same thing I said when I first saw the retractable wheel fish house, the ice armor suits, the $80.00 ice rods, the slush inhaler, the marcum camera, the LXi, on & on. Needless to say I eventually ended up with them all and have no regrets. Right now for me I'm on the no way side of the fence. So that probobly means it would be a safe bet to put my name on one.

I am always amazed at the continuous creativity and ability of the ice fisherman to come up with gadgets and inventions. We should be put in charge of solving the worlds biggest problems. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Joel, here's a photo of my buddy on one of our best days on the ice in March of 2003. Notice our prototype in the background. Ours was more complicated than yours incorporating a frame and flange that remains in the hole as you lift the scoop. Your design is actually better. Its much simpler and easier, cheaper to manufacture and it accomplishes the same result.

We decided to not pursue a patent because of the cost involved. I think you might have a winner. Good luck.

One question: I see your clamp set-up is adjustable for ice thickness, is the clamp itself somehow spring loaded so it has a positive grip on the ice?

Mixedbag.jpg

Polar Bear, No, you just snug the ice up good between the upper bracket and lower disc then tighten the set screw..

And WOW the cost you aint kiddn, had to get injection molds for three different hole sizes and top bracket made so it could be made with the super tough polycarbonate material.

Then the lawyer for the patents, USA and Canada

Then the advertising...

Then people critisize the thing like it wont work and I'm tryin to pull a fast one. I spent all that money and messed up my perfect schedule of fishing everyday because The Fish Elevator worked so well I had to make it. I had it made because if I would have seen it in the store ten years from now it would have made me want to kill myself for not having the guts to do it.

I probably wont make any money on it but I am proud of it.

I am proud to have a product MADE IN MILWAUKEE, in a vast sea of Chinese junk!

Thats one heck of a tasty lookin pile of cookies you got there in that picture....Yummy-Yummy

Gator Bait- Yep, thats my house. Give me a call before you come through (I'm always fishin) 920 252 1605

Well I like the concept and am well known for my bear paw swats trying to land fish that come off at the top of the hole . Happens numerous times every year and getting wet up to my armpits is not fun .

I likely won't get one or two till I build another permanent house because it's just more rigging to carry but man would I have liked to have had these over the years in our perms .

I've never used one but think by just watching the vids that it would get my two thumbs up and I've already discussed it with our local tackle shop owner and will be mentioning it to some of the older lads who have perms up here in Canada because it sure would simplify things for them in their perm houses . Makes life easier for those and hate to see them take a header diving for fish as I still do . Good invention that I'm sure many could use and hopefully sells well everywhere and if it keeps some of my older lads up here on the lake to keep on fishing well then I can't help but to give it mention .

TD