• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sleds on bare ice? Need some help.

DJH

I only have a snowmobile to use for ice fishing and need something to help lube the slides and keep the engine cool when there is little or no snow on the ice. I thought I read something last year on these forums about some kind of ice scrapper that mounts on the skis that draggs behind the front of the ski and kicks up ice for the coolers and slides.Maybe I was just dreaming this, but I cannot find this product anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

I woudn't worry about it to much, for the amount of time your on your sled and if you keep speeds below 40 mph while towing a portable, you should be just fine. I run a sled on the ice sometimes with little or no snow and haven't seen any excessive wear. It would be different if you were trail riding all day long with little snow, here I would see a potential problem with wear to the slides.

There are two different types out there; the ones that you mentioned that mount to the ski's and there is another style that mounts to your slide rails that you can fold out of the way when you are in more snow. The added benefit to using them is that you will also be helping your cooling situation by getting some snow/ice onto your coolers (if you have a liquid cooled machine). You can google "ice scratchers" and you will come up with several options.

You could add more boggie wheels to your skid frame too, to save on hyfax.

I run a 2" paddle on mine and for cooling, I drilled a 3/8" hole on the inside of my skis and send a bolt thru that was about 2 - 2.5" long, that does a good enough job when the snow is hard. Don't know if there is a clear cut solution on glare ice.

Mike

I guess on bare ice, I'm more concerned about steering and traction. Make sure you have good carbides on your skis or you won't be doing too much turning. Studs are really, really nice as well. Along with giving you traction, studs are also ripping up the ice a little bit which may aid in lubrication and cooling.