• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the ATVs?

hovermn

So I've pretty much decided that I'm going to buy either a snowmobile or an ATV this season. I started with the intention of buying a sled, even looked at a couple. However, after reading pleny of posts and talking to a few people at the ice show, I've decided against the sled and have decided to look closely at 4 wheelers.

What timing, however. Everywhere I look, all I see are sleds. hsolist, the paper, motorsports shops and so on. So, my question is, where should I be looking? Have I already missed the boat here? I have a hard time believing that as there were more 4 wheelers at the ice show than sleds!

Anywhooo, any assistance would be helpful. I'm just getting started, and I'm a fresh newbie when it comes to motorsports (except hovercraft, of course!). I guess what I'm saying is that I really don't know what I'm looking for yet, other than I'd prefer 400-500cc or larger.

I would say get both. there are many times that the snow is too deep for the wheeler, and had to use the sled. used wheelers are hard to find, but there are numerous sleds available very cheap. I would say for ice fishing, a sled would work for all conditions, except I would stud the track on the sled. studs are not too expensive, and they are easy to install. hope this helps a little, good luck.

I do have to add, that wheelers, at least the utility wheelers have good carrying capacity, where snowmobiles do not.

When I entered the market I went to Tousley and looked over their used inventory. They have a lot of used machines so you can get a good idea of what your options are: price, size, style etc. Then I started looking on Carsoup just to compare prices, googled using ATV consumer reports until I felt comfortable that I knew what I wanted and what would be a reasonable price.

I ended up buying an Artic Cat 400, however, I also liked the Honda's. Truth is, I think they're all fine machines if you just take care of them.

What year are you looking at? how much are you looking at spending?, Because if I was looking for a nother atv around a 500 I would look at the susuki vision 500 auto they are a great machine they have rock solid motors and frames you can't go wrong, and if you are going to buy new there are alot of promotions going on?

My budget is pretty tight. I started this journey looking at a $500 sled, then quickly jumped up to a $4200 AC 650. Man, was that a jump. Now, I've come back down my that cloud and back into reality. I just can't aford a wheeler.

Knoppers, I only wish I could aford both. Maybe someday. All I really want is a machine to get me to the fishin' hole. What do you suppose the minimum amount of snow is required to run a liquid cooled sled on the ice? 1"? less?

Thanks!

there are alot of fan cooled sleds that would fit the bill for your needs, why liquid? Imo, owning a liquid cooled for "only fishin use" would be foolish, even hard pack snow is tough on them. think of early and late ice conditions... you wont see many liquids used. yes I own a fan cooled sled.

I would have to agree with fan cooled. I have a liquid cooled sled and a 4 wheeler. I can go any where with the wheeler. I like to let it run while I drill holes and set up. you can't do that with a liquid cooled sled. Most lakes you fish others will also be fishing, so unless you have some secret spot where no one else goes the snow is going to be packed enough to go with a wheeler.

Quote:

why liquid?

those of us with four stroke sleds have no choice.

In early and late ice conditions I'm more pat to walk out the portable anyway. Usually at early ice, bare ice doesn't last long as any bit of snow that falls usually ends up as drifts on the lake.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both(sleds and wheelers). I like my 4 wheeler for year around use... snowmobiles just take up room in july and leave you walking to do your chores(deer stands, whatever). I cant plow the driveway with a snowmobile either... On another note, I am going to be complaining trying to get to 9 mile flat after a big snow and wind... but the snowmobilers arent happy either when slush becomes an issue and the track freezes up like a brick!

hovermn.. you said you would prefer a machine of 400-500cc or more which is going to put you in the $4K-$6K price range for a new utility 4x4 machine which is more than you want to spend.

You might be able to save a few bucks dropping down to a 350cc class machine with 4wd, or even more money saved for a 2x4 machine... but I dont think your going to be happy even with chains getting stuck more often trying to pull weight with a 2x4(2wd).

I drive a 450cc machine with differential lock and its a very capable machine and I dont get stuck very often. The power has nothing to do with capabilities, even a smaller 4x4 goes through snow pretty good. There are options like agressive tires, studding tires, and tire chains which will make them more capable... if we actually start getting significant snow, a plow can be added to boot.

Early ice I also prefer 4 wheelers.. the reason being is snowmobiles are worthless(nearly) when there is no significant snow. Its tough to get going without studs, and impossible to turn. If you put studs on a 4 wheeler you stick pretty good and you dont get stuck pulling your gear by hand when theres no snow.

I would buy a good 4 wheeler.. and pick up a cheap slead at a later date for those situations when snow gets out of hand(rare).

You bring up some very vaild points. However, most of them don't really apply to me. I don't hunt, I don't own a house with a driveway, I live in the cities far from most ATV trails, and I don't feel comfortable buying an older ATV. I guess it's something my dad instilled on me, good or bad.

When I made the statement about looking for a 400-500cc wheeler, I hadn't really priced them out, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. You can only imagine the sticker shock I got when I walked into Tousely motor sports, checked out hsolist and various other motor sports outlets. Yeah, big shock! Someone made a statement a while ago about how used ATV's are just about being sold for more than new machines. I almost agree!

I look at sleds now with new eyes. I no longer want something purely for ice fishing. I'd like to take advantage of the thousands of snowmo trails and lakes. In my situation, either snowmobile or ATV would sit for months out of the year in storage. The real question became, which machine will give me the most use for both play and utility, and which is the most afordable. The answer for me turned out to be a sled.

Like I said, you make very vaild points and if I had a use for an ATV outside of wintertime use, I probably would have persued them more aggressively. Heck, their resale value is almost enough by its self. Yikes! shocked.gif

So, with that said, I have purchased a snowmobile. A 2003 Polaris Classic Touring 550 fan. At some point, I'd like to stud it, replace the carbides with fresh sharp buggers, and build some mounts on it. With any luck, it'll help fill the toy void I have since selling the hovercraft. Wait, who am I kidding, only a hovercraft can replace a hovercraft! They're really something else, man! grin.gif

I'm glad you got a mode of transportation! Good luck with your sled.

Your right, 4 wheelers cost way to much these days. They are bilt well, and generally last a heck of a long time.. but its still a lot of money for a glorified piece of steel and plastic!

The way I look at it, my ATV(sled would be same) is also a piece of safety equipment.. safety as in the 3/4 ton truck never goes on the ice anymore, and that greatly reduces the odds of taking a swim.... not to mention its easier getting a 500# machine unstuck vs a 6500# beast!