• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

gold is a hot color in clear water . . .at least it was last year . . . darn fish have a short memory however and never read this forum. Don't know if we have met or not but will be hanging around the ice . . .when it gets here!!!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Franky the way the wind is it could be another North Shore wink.gif slaughter at hand... I got you on speed dial sir wink.gif Enjoy the game. If you seee anything worth a 3rd round pick in the draft let me know.. grin.gif

Timmy, Timmy, Timmy,

Man I wish I could make it out there tonight....as I type this, you are more than likely whiping your rod up high in the air with your second on for tonight. grin.gifgrin.gif.

The wind here is nonexistent--I hope you have a north or northwest wind out there to continue the slaughter.

You guys out there are on top of the world right now as far as getting the consistent walleye action. No where else on this great mother earth can you be doing what you are doing....especially for January 1. cool.gif

BJi . ..little i for no ice . . .you should have come out and still should . . . maybe this weekend. Temps are holding (darn) but at least we are catching and if we don't . . . the bar has some mighty fine wings and cold beer

HEYNOW! Is that you Dave that normally fishes with Glen on south end of DARAGO if so its good to here from you and hope to here more.Share a little on this site and you will get twice as much as you give.Have not heard from you or glen since fill is out of the picture.

Tank - Sure is...

Dave (HEYNOW!) can't find your number in the book, gimme a call at work tomorrow, 330-3134., I'll be there at work from 0630 to 3 p.m.

ScottCNY - Nice talking to you, I'll see you and Dave on the water soon.

Tank - as Tim stated, sure is. Good to hear from you. The reason you haven't heard too much in the past is because I had some serious health issues last year and just couldn't get into the mood to actively participate in discussions. Last winter when I was still feeling ok, I just missed you guys a couple of times on the south end - I was fishing with Glen's son and we were a little further south of where you and Tim and the rest of the gang were fishing. I never made it out to Phil's for some open water fun because I was feeling so badly. Had bypass surgery on 9/27 so that put the kabosh on any fall walleye action. Glen took a job with Northwest airlines out in Minnesota so he's not around anymore and that put a damper in my ice outings last year. My heart rehab went real good and I am looking forward to hooking up with you guys out on the hard stuff.

Tim - I'll give you a call tomorrow. Good call on the Jim Edmonds thing.

Hey Now - It was sure nice talking to you after it seemed like years since we had a conversation. Look forward to seeing you this ice season Dave. I'm here to lend a hand neighbor.

These folks right here are some of the best fishers and undoubtedly the greatest friends I could have and having another seasoned vet here is a plus. Your in bud although Tank has final approval wink.gif You got his numbers give him a call and welcome to the gang..

Just lookin at the posts, and wondering where there are islands and some type of bay on the eastern side of ontario. They say it is very good fihing year round. where could this be ? Any info. would help. Thanks. I think it starts with c or chaum.

EXCELLENT!! chaumount bay! should be a fish haven. A friend has a friend, and he owns or runs a resort out there. Had a chance to go 2 yrs. ago but did not. Just wondering how it is. Hope to go in the next yrs. to come. Thanks. I don't think we will get ice this year in IN. nice map

I fish Chaumont Bay every winter for perch, you catch 200 a day when they are biting good. The only problem is that you only keep 1/4 to 1/3 of them because you catch tons of dinks. When I go I get better luck on larger castmasters and minnows to stay away from the small ones. If you use dots or small jigs it's non-stop little uns. The smaller perch are great to eat though. Be careful on Chaumont early or late ice, the water is moving underneath because of the river, the ice can get undermined very fast.

Good spring fishing for perch there in april-may as well, not to mention Mud Bay in May, bullheads by the bucket and slab sunfish as well.

TO Tim

Colder weather is coming, High's of 40 this weekend, but it's better than 65 for ice making. Maybe some places will gel a little in the northlands soon enough. I have new line on everything + have made 2 trips for new jigs, all I need is harder water to stand on. My fiancee wants a fresh bluegill dinner soon, or maybe a mess of crappies, i know i'm ready.

THINK ICE!!!!!!!!

TO Tim

Hay Bernbay I will be at Apps in Clevland fishing every evening for walleyes at 5 pm.Until the ice comes on next week.I would love to meet you.Tell me what night i can meet you.

Hey bud, maybe friday night would be good eh? I need to make a run to Rochester to do some sales today, and make some arrangements with my crew I fish Sodus with. I also have a nice private spot where I live in the bay where we can fish, I think it's the best spot for shore fishing. I remember as a kid fishing off the little breakwall there by appys, but they will probably never repair it. The Sylvan Beach residents want to rebuild the breakwall there, this would be a great thing for fisherman. I would even feed the new parking meters if there was new access to the lake there.

Weatherman says -something temps next week, maybe mid week there will be fishing on the bay or some small ponds I fish in Fulton. I better get my spike order in today.

TO Tim

I just looked at the western NY extended forecast, and they changed it again confused.gif. The temps on Jan 20 and 21 will be highs in the mid 40s and stay above freezing out till Jan 25. That was based on a 15 day forecast, so lets hope that they are not right. It is still supposed to get cold here for a few days, but I don't think it will be enough to tighten things up safely. I hope that I am wrong. My ice fishing stuff is starting to collect dust crazy.gif

Met up with ENY Tyler and his ice fishing partner Bud for crappie tackle advice, gave them the abbreviated seminar over at Gander, they picked up some diamond jigs and plastics and picked up a nice 2 lb. combo to go lighter than the 4lb. spoon sticks they have. There just getting into the lighter smaller theme and we found some very good HT rods and Guide Series reels to get them set-up. Your off and running boys more tips and tactics will be shared on the trip east.. Make sure you order a couple of pro packs from Lobybaits.com. Mike's a crappie guru and he will set you up with his favorite selections for crappies wink.gif Tell him CNY Tim sent ya wink.gif

Hey guys with cold temps heading our way this may be the last weekend to go through our ice gear and make sure were ready for possible ice fishing next weekend. I like what I see in the forecast future starting Monday night, let's hope it stays or get's colder. I was telling Tank I will be off work from Wed-Fri next week so I will make some inquiries in to what lakes local and roads traveled as far as what may be good or potentially setting up or safe for the weekend. Same goes the other way guys chip in with what info you have and hopefully will keep our fingers crossed for next weekend.

Yes I am optimistic and tomorrow the ice gear is going in and the seats are coming out.

Safety first guys make sure that your safety items are priority number one, fish with a friend, let your loved ones know where your fishing.

Some safety items you should have..

In the car/truck..

Change of clothes, spare propane, first aid kit, warm blanket and flashlight

In the portable or on person... cell phone/FRS radio, 50 ft. of rope attach to a floatation device, boat cushion to help a fellow fisher or self in the advent of a mishap. Ice Picks, whistle, head lamp when venturing on or off the ice early and late.

Creepers believe it or not lack there of more mishaps/broken bones, concussions and bruised tail bones happen because ice fishers do not wear creepers, be careful and try to stay away from doing the glazed donut shuffle.

Nobody should be a hero I am one to wait for a solid 4" of black ice before my 240 pounds feels safe. The fish will always be there but your @ss might not be if your careless. We have had a few dunkings in this group and have been fortunate not to lose anyone.

I know I sound like a mother hen but I have gotten quite attached to you guys and the last thing I want to do is attend a funeral so stick with what you know and rookies stay close to your ice veterans they know from experience what's safe and what is not.

Ok guys that's my pre-season pep talk. Let's start the ice dance Monday night. Kick up your heels and spool those reels!

Electronics - Just a reminder if you haven't topped of those batteries in a while or purchased a replacement this weekend is a good time to get the essentials done. MarCum's up! grin.gif

not me. . . just back from the Saturday night party . . .I'm fine, Sandy's down for the count . . .thought I'd go fishing but see no reports so I guess its bedtime for me. Weather report tonight looks really good . . . no highs above 32!!!