• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing...

Tim- Ice jig addiction is an understatement with this crew. It's a disease we all take part in JB's, Little Atom, YBDs, Loners, K&E, CJ&S, Systems Tackle, Hali's, Acme, Northland, etc... And that's just jigs gotta throw plastics in there too. We have them all covered but it's hard to argue the selelection and price that Jammin has. Bobber Fry and Glow ants are my favorites from them for bluegills and crappies. wink.gif

Hendo - You got email wink.gif

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Spike order went in this am so everyone will be getting a call when they arrive.Probably thurs or fri.

I am holding off on ordering anything right now til I at least see some of the usual "first to go" lakes with a complete coating crazy.gif We have some high elevation small lakes here close by me in the ADK's that are usually always fishable by Christmas and they're only partially skimmed as of this weekend!

Quote:

partially skimmed is better than no skim!!! Keep us posted . . .some of us Marcum guys need to do some testing! LOL BTW, Tim and I have a question to ask about a couple of high elevation spots close to the Can.

Just heard this morning that a couple shallow larger ADK lakes are "locked up" with thin ice. They're only about 10ft deep but it's a start. cool.gif

Hey all, had a quick question about these crappie/bluegill jigs. I see a lot of people buying and selling these ants, with little rubber doodies sticking off the sides of them, I bought 2 chartreuse ones to try them out. At any rate, I see a lot of people talking about them on other threads and wondered if you all ever tried them.

Also, has anyone tried the berkley powerbait for crappies at all, or the power grubs instead of using spikes?? They also sell berkley power minnows supposedly for crappie fishing, but they are like 5 bux a dozen, and that just doesn't fit in my budget. I cant buy a bite with a minnow ice fishing when i'm going after crappies at all in the winter, just a small nitro with 1 or 2 spikes does well enough for me.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to some ice soon, skim ice on some of the small ponds around here is coming and going. I have a great spot for bluegills that freezes a week or 2 before anything big locks up. If you fall through you only go into about 2-3 feet of water. I personally haven't had that experience since 1984 or something, i'm just not that brave, but 3-4 inches will do there.

TO Tim

I've had mixed results with the artificial grubs on panfish and positive results with the honey worms on crappies. I fish alot of rubber, and this season it will be more Maki Plastics then anything. I ordered mine from Lobybaits.com, order a pro pack and give em a try on your favorite jigs. His site has some great info and selections of plastics for hard and open water. Awesome video's demonstrating effective rigging techniques, check it out...

Ok, here's the deal. Since the gold 3mm is in short supply, I decided to try something out. I have done this before on my bass lures that were no longer made. I went to Walmart to the craft department and bought a pen that applies gold leaf. Sometimes you can find actual small sheets of 18k gold . . .this time I could not, so went with the pen . . . same concept. Follow the instructions and apply the gold . . . sticks to everything just about. Used a black 4mm wolfram as a test and it came out like the real thing in about 15 seconds. Dries almost instantaneously and the lure has the same sheen as the original gold wolframs. And there you have it. Have fun, all you believers in the power of gold!! LOL

Okay finally. Looks like some fishable ice by the weekend in the southern ADK's. cool.gif My friend Robb checked a lake yesterday that held it's icepack all through the last couple weeks and the shorlines passed the "rock test" yesterday! Lows will be in the teens there the next few nights. I'm waiting for some other lakes to freeze before I get started and plan on taking my boat out everyday this weekend if the weather's okay but it looks like we're on our way to some icefishing. Slowly but surely the Adirondacks will have ice. wink.gif

Well done Franky! I checked this wolfy out this morning and I could not tell the diffrence it looks like it will be durable as well.

Insurance Guy - Well alright on the ADK lake getting the rock test! That's great news hopefully the central and southern tier are right around the corner. But until then North Shore says there's wally's to be caught till the ice is safe. Can't post his pictures from last nights slam here because of the carnage (blood) but I will drop em on MFF this evening. Like yesterdays slam you will not be dissapointed, beautiful...

when Berkley first came out with the artificial crappie nibbles in bags, they seemed to work pretty good. Since they went jars and then also back to bags, they don't seem to attract like they use to. I keep trying them evey year however.

I spoke to a friend who lives near Burlington Vt. , if anyone wants to go for a drive. They are fishing there already , if you have a license for Vermont and a tank of gas or 2.

No ice yet on the little ponds still, the daytime temps are going to be above freezing for the next 2 weeks according to the news. I guess the temps will be lower in the northlands, maybe we will see ice an Black Lake before anything else.

Also, those maki plastics I couldn't find on that web site, probably looked at the wrong spot on the site. Also, I can get my hands on 24k or 18k gold leaf, as I use it in some of the glassblowing applications that I do. Especially in small, scrap pieces that would be perfect for putting on small ice fishing jigs. I need to order some supplies today, so i'll check out how much it is and maybe mail you some if you want it.

TO Tim

TO Tim . . .just might take you up on the scraps, but for now I have a whole pen full of gold . . .at least I did, hopefully I put the top on tight enough. Appreciate the source. I don't know about the makis as I don't use them . . .yet, check with Timbo.

MEMORIES OF PAST NEW YEARS DAYS.I fished Canadarago alot on new years day Thru the ice.Usually doing very well.ABOUT 15YEARS AGO WHEN THERE WAS NO LIMIT I caught 2 5gal buckets of perch.Dont worry guys we will be on the ice soon.HAPPY NEW YEAR

Happy New Year to you to John and your family. Bringing in the New Year right on Canadarago it doesn't get anybetter than that as I look outside the window after an all night rain and a 40 deg. thermometer. There fishing some Adirondack lakes I see...

Happy New Year to everyone, if you consider 50 degrees to be anything to be happy about on the first of January.

Tank - I ice fished with you, your son, Glen, Jimmy and fishin Phil a number of years ago outta Phils camp. I know what you mean about "rago". Phil, Jimmy, Glen and I each limited a number of years ago on New Years Day. Congratulations on your retirement, from what I've seen and read, you have managed to keep pretty busy. I retired about 2 years ago and absolutely love it.

CNYFrank - don't know if I have met you or not but you might want to be carefull about that talk of golf and golf clubs - Tim might start having flashbacks to that incident tongue.gif with his "driver" a week or so ago. Nice idea with the gold leaf pen. I normaly don't use gold lures but found out last year that they can be real hot at certain times.

Tim - you any relation to "icetechy" on that other chatline? Perhaps a distant cousin? Before I forget, congratulations on your world champion cardinals! Puhols or not, I didn't see them advancing very far in the post season. Shows you what the hell I know. Then again, I'm still a Reds fan so you can't expect very much from me.

Maybe by the 12th or so we will be a little more encouraged by our hardwater opportunities.

Temperatures are not looking good for ice ANYTIME soon. I just looked at the Perry, NY 15 day forcast, and the average high for the next 15 days is 44 degrees. That takes us all the way to Jan 15. confused.gifconfused.gif

Does anyone want to buy some of my 4mm Gold YBD's? blush.gif

Johnny forget the the darn wolfies and get your arse in the truck and head east that winds flipping around to the west and should be perfect by the time you get here. Man you could crash here tonight and head back with two double-ups so get your butt in the truck and turn the key. If the winds to rough we can hit em under the bridge on twisters just as easy. Just talked to North Shore and were putting plans together for a 7 p.m. run right now. You in?

dump Dave I completely forgot to give you a jingle last week hope your XMAS and New Years went well and your feeling better day by day. I remember that day I met you and Glenn up at Apps... Yep that's me icetechy in the IS forum and I'm walleye13 over at MFF. Well thank you for props for my Cardinals it was a pleasant surprise for me too, but I believe Jim Edmonds was the big reason for the postseason turnaround. I'll never forget when the playoffs started when he came up with that game ball thing just like in football but for baseball. Watch the MLB video clips the day they clinched the NLCS against the Mets and it just touches you as a fan. Looking forward to spring training actually and I'm wondering if my Cardinals can play football too cause my Browns can't grin.gif

Guys looking for MarCum's at Gander and can't get any go to Fish 307 in Lake George if you want to stay in state or Fishing Pro Store on line, they have free shipping when you purchase a certain amount maybe over $150 and reconditioned LX-3's for $299 ooo.gif...

Timbo . . .will have to turn on my cell and check my voicemail on the get together . . .but if there is no voicemail . . .I'll be haunting you at work!!! Plan on watching Michigan and USC though . . .