• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any suggestions

Fishdeer

I had a situation where a buck was following a doe and fawn ,he was not hot on her tail just laid back following her. I tried some grunting both buck and doe , just enough to get his attention, he looked but he just stayed with the doe, any suggestions on what to try next time to maybe convince him to come my way. And how about the doe what can i do maybe to coax her in if i could get her in the buck would follow im sure, maybe a fawn bleat ? i dont have the can call should i try one of them. I could have tried rattling i guess but i didnt want to scare the doe off , because id a taken her given the opportunity.

At least twice that I can think of I've pulled in a doe that was towing a buck with the can call. Shot both the first time. The doe either saw or smelled me & hung up in the brush the other time. If they're that far apart & there's any wind & he's still in the cover, with the bow you can shoot the doe & the buck will still come in. He just thinks she took off again to stay in front of him. It's a sweet deal.

I've had more deer run in for the can than anything. I've had just as many deer basically ignore it, but they don't seem to get spooked by it for me.

I have had great success in pulling bucks away with a doe bleat. I can do it pretty well myself, but if I have time I will try using "the can". Pulled in a BIG buck off a hot doe last year, and made a crappy shot missing him just low frown.gif

Lately i've been grunting and bleating at every deer that comes by just to see how they react. It seems like does and fawns ignore everything incuding rattling. On the other hand I've had a few bucks charge right in. I guess it all depends on thier mood. Most deer though dont react to the calls at all.

If a buck is on a hot doe,you will have a very hard time trying to pull him from here.If he is following her and she is not receptive then a little doe in heat and a call might do the trick.I have never had any luck with the can call.As far as rattling goes,its good before the rut,but during not a great help.Sometimes things just dont work.With the fawn tagging along with the doe,you will know that she is not ready as the doe will kick her away when its time to mate.

You could try to put some doe in heat in the general area and use a doe in heat call and see if you get better results.

It is so close to full rut that it will be very hard to get a buck to leave a doe.Before the major rut,you will have a chase phase where the bucks will run the does almost to death trying to mate with them.

I would just get in a high doe area,put out scent and call a small amount and wait.Sooner or later they will come by.Also,dont be afraid to hunt during the daylight hours as these bucksif cool,will run all day.

Went out this morning for a couple of hours, nothing responded to my calling. 3 days ago I grunted in 3 different bucks. The rut is definately changing in the area. I did see one new rub by my stand this morning, the deer thats making it is a monster. Probably the one that got away from me last weekend. One doe came in this morning and my calling had no effect on her. I guess maybe its time to stop rattling and start using the can and estrus. Good luck.